The 22 creedmoor thread

I read on the snipers hide 22 creed thread that guys were having issues with R26 getting carbon rings and building pressure. Did you experience that at all?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes it will deposit a carbon ring. Just like any other powder, but possibly a bit sooner. Tuning these rifles is full of give and take. I will certainly take the velocity, and superb accuracy that the RL-26 gives me. And I'll give an extra 2 minutes of time to make sure I get it out of there every time I clean the rifle. A carbon ring isn't a big deal unless it's allowed to become problem. I clean it and then bore scope it to make sure it's gone. Simple as dirt for a simple guy like me. 😁

Yes it will deposit a carbon ring. Just like any other powder, but possibly a bit sooner. Tuning these rifles is full of give and take. I will certainly take the velocity, and superb accuracy that the RL-26 gives me. And I'll give an extra 2 minutes of time to make sure I get it out of there every time I clean the rifle. A carbon ring isn't a big deal unless it's allowed to become problem. I clean it and then bore scope it to make sure it's gone. Simple as dirt for a simple guy like me.

How many rounds are going between cleaning?

Adamsfj

Lil-Rokslider
Great thread and I appreciate all the information shared. I have a couple questions for my build. I'm preparing to do a 22cm build with a former tikka 6.5cm. My initial plan is to run a prefit Carbon barrel that will be suppressed. What would be the shortest barrel length and twist rate you would be comfortable with to maintain accuracy if running Bergers 90 grain and less. I have used Bergers twist rate stability calculator with a twist rate of 7 but getting mixed results with certain bullets and speeds. Not opposed to using other bullets just have some already on hand for reloading.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Updated OP with initial shots

Probably going to give 4831 a try if I don’t get excellent accuracy from h4350.

Last edited:
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
4350 is a good powder in the .264 bore and the Creedmoor case. The 6.5 bore has about 35 to 40% more bore volume than the .224 barrel (depending on actual bore diameter .218 vs. .219, and land / groove geometry). That larger bore will handle the quicker upstroke of the pressure curve better than the smaller bore. A good example of that is the BR cases. The .22 BR works well with something like VV N-140 and the 30 BR is typically shot with the significantly faster 4198. If you could come up with some 4831, RL26 (good luck finding any of that) or VV N-565 I think you will find that you very well be able to tune to the next higher accuracy node and not run into pressure issues. Every time I've tried 4350 I have not been able to get to the best accuracy node because it ran into pressure before I could hit the right velocity.
I think you’re correct. H4350 appears to be to the 22 creed as Varget to the 6.5 creed. Just a hair too fast, but appears to work for many.

Either way Iv got a bunch of it so I’ll give it a go. If I don’t get what I want I’m going to try 4831sc.

Great thread and I appreciate all the information shared. I have a couple questions for my build. I'm preparing to do a 22cm build with a former tikka 6.5cm. My initial plan is to run a prefit Carbon barrel that will be suppressed. What would be the shortest barrel length and twist rate you would be comfortable with to maintain accuracy if running Bergers 90 grain and less. I have used Bergers twist rate stability calculator with a twist rate of 7 but getting mixed results with certain bullets and speeds. Not opposed to using other bullets just have some already on hand for reloading.

It seems the 223 fclass guys do fine with 90vlds in 7 twists. It also seems that 90 grain class 224 bullets going poof is a risk to avoid so the 7 seems like a good choice to me. Make sure the barrel has a bore diameter of 0.219 rather than 0.218. I'd put more value in what other guys who are shooting em say though.

It seems like a poor application for a carbon barrel. Short (not getting the benefits of weight savings between breech and expanded muzzle steel), 224 bore which gives less benefit for 5/8" muzzle threads I.E. you dont need as heavy of a steel contour to get appropriate muzzle diameter, and a short barrel life. But if carbon tickles your pickle, who cares.

Some more findings from today. 88 eld-m. 17” barrel.

I had some Superformance powder on hand so thought I would try it. Hit pressure at 2936 fps with 41.5 grains.

Also tried some H4831 again. Hit pressure with that at 3022 fps and 44.5 grains. The 44 gr load today was 2951, previously when I shot that charge it was 3011. The 3011 fps was also loaded at .04 off. The 2951 today was .025 off.
I am almost out of that powder and load it in another gun. Going to pick up some 4831sc and see if that makes a difference.

Also shot a 10 shot group with 40 gr of H4350. This was also loaded at about .04 off. Has slight pressure so I’ll back it off another 1/2 gr. Attached pics are stats for that group. Not real confident in that group. Made a small point of aim, reticle covered it up and snowing with high wind today made it a challenge. H4350 seems like the powder I’ll stick with.

598b0c18a1b6d64a16f4ea5e29472ad5.jpg

da65143f062531f7e5ca5c76aba12145.jpg

BjornF16

WKR
Also shot a 10 shot group with 40 gr of H4350. This was also loaded at about .04 off. Has slight pressure so I’ll back it off another 1/2 gr. Attached pics are stats for that group. Not real confident in that group. Made a small point of aim, reticle covered it up and snowing with high wind today made it a challenge. H4350 seems like the powder I’ll stick with.
For that H4350 load, what is your COAL?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Must be some serious pressure/heat at the muzzle.

Knocked a crap load of carbon out of my ultra 7. Heats it up pretty quick as well.

BjornF16

WKR
Yep. I said I wasn’t sure. Haven’t measured it. Thats why I detailed how I was measuring in case you had same too

Just wondering if you’ve got the boatail at the shoulder/neck junction of the case, or deeper

BjornF16

WKR
[mention]BjornF16 [/mention]

1a5e2a49ab7909eae0d508472795f9ec.jpg

79ae37c7b157180cf7e0b66450a00c37.jpg

2391efb63f5a1c465974c9d8ea4314a9.jpg

That looks about where I am with my hand loads…I think I’ve got more jump than you which may explain why I’m at 41.0 gr H4350.

Of course it could just be different lot of powder

That looks about where I am with my hand loads…I think I’ve got more jump than you which may explain why I’m at 41.0 gr H4350.

Of course it could just be different lot of powder

This is also new, virgin brass. Alpha SRP. Maybe yours new is too?

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
-4 this morning, maybe the last really cold morning so I figured I’d try an ignition test being that it’s all over the net that hang fires happen on srp creed brass.

Let a round soak in the cold for a few hours, went bang like it’s supposed to.

That’s with alpha srp brass, h4350 and cci 450

***see below, had 2 hang fires same day at the range.

Last edited: