The 22 creedmoor thread

Trackselk

WKR
I found this thread after I started another one about badlands 2 bulldozers. Anyhow, any recommendations for what powders are optimal for a 70 grain mono with 18" 1:8 .218 barrel? Would the 70gr bullet work better or worse with the h4350 that so many are using with 88gr?
Thanks for any advice, I'm new to reloading rifle cartridges...

Kimber mountain ascent is at the Smith getting a new Leija 22 creed barrel...
-i wasn't patient enough to wait months for a 7 twist, hopefully it likes my 70 or 77gr monos...

I've tested several different powders in the .22CM. My conclusion was that 4350 is too fast to reach the optimal velocity nodes in the .224 bore diameter. It's probably the best all around powder for the .264 bore, but that bore size has about 40% more volume than the .224. Smaller the bore, the slower the powder needed for any given case capacity. You can get some good accuracy with 4350 in the .22 CM, but you will run into pressure issues before you get to the high tuning node where they typically tune best.

Trackselk

WKR
I've tested several different powders in the .22CM. My conclusion was that 4350 is too fast to reach the optimal velocity nodes in the .224 bore diameter. It's probably the best all around powder for the .264 bore, but that bore size has about 40% more volume than the .224. Smaller the bore, the slower the powder needed for any given case capacity. You can get some good accuracy with 4350 in the .22 CM, but you will run into pressure issues before you get to the high tuning node where they typically tune best.
Thanks! All the fast powders I see listed for 22creed seem to be unobtainium.
-or best speeds that is.

OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Got out and zerod/obtained velocity on the ammo I plan to use Saturday. Going to continue to break in the barrel on some prairie dogs. Shot okay, little under an inch 5 round.

38g of h4350 makes 2751 on the fresh barrel. My 6 creed PVA just sped up 80fps after 180 rounds, we will see if this does similar. After I get it sped up will work on a little more speed, and plan on trying h4831. With some of the published data out there I don’t want to push it too hard. Makes me wonder if maybe companies are using .218 barrels?

Short barrel busts up some serious carbon. One smack after 6 shots today and that’s what came out. Something I’ll be cautious about going forward.

290950A7-C8E6-4A18-8AE2-4ED1F70BCAB3.jpeg3395E2D9-2EDA-4FD7-A0BB-9549EE784A65.jpeg

sportsmans challenge

WKR
Classified Approved
Have had a couple 22 cm's 1 was ar10 the other was a tikka at the time of the ar 10 I was running 22 grendel and had no issues with it, so passed the creed on. The tikka was donated to benefit a guys daughter who needed a transplant so never really shot it much before to get data. A year or so ago I had a rifle built (below) 18"6 cm with twin barrels thinking I was gonna burn the 1st one up quick.

Well now I have .264 and a .224 barrels at the builders and planning 260ai and 22cm again, this time I am debating 22" or 20" then a ultra 7 on the end. I will be running the 69 tmk as it did great on dogs out past 500 yards. I am hoping varget, but have a few powders to try on hornady 6 creed necked down 1x fired and getting 3500fps area. Barrel I am trying for the hell of it a wilson #4 1:8 twist will be fluted and will have a few barrels for my set up.

Let me know what you are running if 69 tmk

Attachments

• 20210928_193314.jpg
    20210928_193314.jpg
    334.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 20221027_113320.jpg
    20221027_113320.jpg
    559.5 KB · Views: 81
OP
L

Lawnboi

WKR
Weather didn’t really cooperate, still less than 100 down the pipe. It’s definitely speeding up just based off drop corrections needed.

Easy rifle to shoot though. Has some snap with the ultra 7, we will see what it does when the magnus gets out of jail.

88s send the close ones 5’ in the air.

F10A0998-1566-4AE2-9DBA-8C1AEBC44F0B.jpeg

SouthPaw

WKR
Weather didn’t really cooperate, still less than 100 down the pipe. It’s definitely speeding up just based off drop corrections needed.

Easy rifle to shoot though. Has some snap with the ultra 7, we will see what it does when the magnus gets out of jail.

88s send the close ones 5’ in the air.

View attachment 535584

Total weight of the rifle without bipod?

SouthPaw

WKR
10lb 4oz.

The scope, caps and mount are 2lbs 6oz alone though.

Right where I personally like a rifle. Balances very well.
Thank you. That's a good spot. My 22cm is going to land just about a pound less, but I don't get the priviledge of suppressing.

I’ve done a bunch of testing with several different powders now. Superformance, R16, H4831, R22, H4350 and now Hybrid 100V. The last 3 showed me the best results. Tested both the 80 and 88 ELDM. I will be sticking with either the H4350 or Hybrid. The other didn’t show the speed I was looking for before finding pressure or the grouping wasn’t there to continue with them.

I was able to try out the 80’s a few deer last week for a depredation hunt. Very good results.

Deer number 1 was 460 yards. I over compensated for wind on shot #1 and missed. Shot 2 connected through front of front leg and into chest cavity. Deer moved out to 500 quartering away. Shot 3 hit in front of rear leg and bullet caught under hide right behind opposite shoulder. Went a total of 70 yards.

Deer 2 came back into 460 in the confusion and 1 shot center chest. Bullet exited. Went 30 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 520331

Iv gotten enough questions and have had enough questions about this cartridge that I think it needs it’s own thread. Too much clutter in the 223 thread. I’ll start with my build, and findings on what I’m hoping will be the ultimate deer gun. Hopefully others can add their experience as well as I know a handful of us on here are in the process of making one of these things .

I’ll start with the barrel, I ordered a 16.5” PVA prefit, on a 7 twist blank, the prefit has .100 freebore, is PVA 3B contour and threaded 1/2”, barrel is also cerakoted. I ordered on the 10th of January and got the barrel today. The barrel weighs 2lbs 9oz. The way PVA contours their barrels you end up with the same or similar muzzle diameter whether 16” or 26”, so going longer would likely increase weight more than expected.

THIS IS A TIKKA PREFIT.
View attachment 517270
View attachment 517271
View attachment 520236
The barrel spec is a 7 RH twist, .219 bore, 6 groove barrel. The chamber is cut for .100 freebore. Speaking with PVA they are specd with a large neck so alpha and the like will run, alpha brass drops in the chamber without difficulty. Machine work looks excellent. I took some measurements with 88eldm with it off the rifle.

I screwed the barrel on, and torqued with a SAC modular action wrench to 75 ft lbs. Headspace was confirmed with forester headspace guages.
View attachment 517440

View attachment 517441

I’ll update this thread as it gets screwed on, as I load ammo for it and as I hopefully shoot some animals this fall with it.

I encourage others to share their experience with it as well.
Looking into building 22 creed as next project. Following results. Good looking gun!

Well PVA was having a good sale and I couldn’t resist. Ordered a rock creek prefit for my tikka. Can’t shoot suppressed and I don’t like muzzle break or mind a long barrel so I went with 26”. Brux #4 contour should be interesting!

Trackselk

WKR
Well PVA was having a good sale and I couldn’t resist. Ordered a rock creek prefit for my tikka. Can’t shoot suppressed and I don’t like muzzle break or mind a long barrel so I went with 26”. Brux #4 contour should be interesting!
That should be interesting to see the speeds from that beast. I haven't honed in on a node yet, but I got to 3584 fps with R17 in an 18" barrel (70 grain monos). Mostly flat primer, slight crater being the only pressure signs. Warmer temp and lower elevation than I hunt by far, so I'm pretty confident I can keep that charge (if it's accurate), and it's just slightly under book max at 43 grains, so pressure isn't too crazy.

Sale and brux #4 caught my attention. I didn't know they did that contour and dont see any sales?

Sale and brux #4 caught my attention. I didn't know they did that contour and dont see any sales?

Yeah I wasn’t planning on buying a new barrel but brux #4 contour is about perfect for my hunting uses..plus $400 for a quality blank (rock creek) prefit is pretty sweet, barrel nut is not my thing but I can deal with it for the 1000 rounds that this barrel will probably last 😂

Hoping to get a nice, easy on brass load with 88 eldm for deer hunting.

Do you guys know if I can just put the appropriate sized bushing in my 6.5 creedmoor type S die? And a different stem in my Forster 6.5 micrometer die?