The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

No pics, just a basic way in how one might want to distribute the weight while loading their Kifaru EMR II pack:
[video=vimeo;94075665]https://vimeo.com/94075665[/video]
https://vimeo.com/94075665

*This was for a packraft float trip...no hunting was involved and only 3.5 miles in and 2.5 miles out after 38 miles of floating over 4.5 days. ;)

Looks like one of those "go in heavy, come out light" kind of float trips! ;)

That very line was mentioned....video of the trip will be coming inside the next 10 days.

There's gotta be another joke in there about coors light... Go in with light, come out lit. Or go in with light, come out dehydrated with a headache. I give up...

Coors heavy would of been my choice. More calories to replenish all those you will burn on the hike in. Pork chop in every can!

Tiger Rag

WKR
no pics, just a basic way in how one might want to distribute the weight while loading their kifaru emr ii pack:
[video=vimeo;94075665]https://vimeo.com/94075665[/video]

https://vimeo.com/94075665

*this was for a packraft float trip...no hunting was involved and only 3.5 miles in and 2.5 miles out after 38 miles of floating over 4.5 days. ;)

like!

Last edited:
With a little help, I think I have it figured out a little more. I needed to adjust the shoulder straps and tighten the belt an inch or two higher. Convinced my wife to take pics one more time. I dont have the wings filled but at least my jacket isnt in the way this time. Keep in mind I have no idea what I am doing but if I am going to hike anyway I might as well get some time under some weight for this September.

jj.jpg

jsjs.jpg

over the last couple days since i got this pack, i packed and repacked it about 4x.
the way i had in my head, before receiving it, did not work. it was WIDE. packing for a dayhunt, very sleek and quick. packing for anything, be it 3 day scouting to 7 day hunt, required a few trial runs with less in the wing pockets than i had planned but now i think ive got it down. it ends up very compact with easy access to pretty much everything, and well organized(imperative for my ocd).

Tiger Rag

WKR
Ok, I got my EMR II / Duplex frame yesterday. First time Kifaru guy here. I have to agree with FTF, she's a WIDE lady. Not really as big overall as I expected. Doesn't really seem like 8400. I've got another pack around 8200 and it feels bigger. Don't get me wrong, it's a big pack. I will say it is fairly light for what it is and probably close to 3-4 lbs lighter than the other, even with the duplex.

First thing I have to say is; as stated above, the waistbelt is killer! You can really lock it down and it seems to stay put pretty doggone well so far. I only have about 40 lbs in it right now, but I'm impressed. rest of the pack is well layed out, modularity should be very cool although this pack doesn't seem like it will need much extra. I have the longhunter lid (not as big as I expected either), two belt pouches, and a grab it. I can't imagine needing more than that.

I honestly haven't changed anything fit wise yet. I think I'll move the tri-glides on the shoulder straps slightly forward to adjust the load lifters, but other than that, pack came in and pretty much fit like a glove. Seems like the guys at Kifaru paid attention to the measurements I sent in and must know there stuff about setting them up. I suppose a tweak here or there might come into play, but impressive so far.

I've loaded it 3 times so far to change the configuration. Kind of like FTF, just a learning exercise to keep it trim. Possibly a training hike this weekend, hope I can work it out. Looks like temps will drop back out of the 90's here in the South so might be doable. I'm not a summer boy, I like it cool and cold.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Ditto what Tiger said.

The pack sucks down well and has tons of room. FG was a great color choice.

I thought the LH lid was rather big and it will do well once I trim off what's not necessary.

belt is great and the small KU belt pouches fit like a glove. I do appreciate the extra two small pouches that came in the main bag and lid.

There are tons of webbing loops, fastek clips that I can't even imagine what they are for. I'm probably gonna trim it like Snyder did and cut the weight down to the 6 lb range.

I might take the female clips off lower side of duplex and put inside the bag at the top to attach the grab it to. Running the grab it inside to hold heavy stuff just might work out, and the extra clips will facilitate that with ease with out buying a meat bag.

You could also add these clips to the top of bag if you wanted a roll top option sans lid like those who mentioned it earlier.

This is probably my last hunting pack purchase and it's gonna work out just great!.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Awesome Powers!!! Glad you like the pack so far just need to fill it with critters come August huh?

This is probably my last hunting pack purchase and it's gonna work out just great!.

Famous last words! Kifaru will outdo this somehow, someway, someday and we all will 'need' the new one. I too think this will be a very solid pack in the lineup for many years.

CtP

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome Powers!!! Glad you like the pack so far just need to fill it with critters come August huh?

YES!! Hopefully Foster and I have some luck. SE has a lot to offer in Sept. If he scores the Etolin tag it's gonna be a fun packed two weeks.

Put 4 miles on mine today with almost 40 lbs. of gear. Felt great! I also love the belt!
u5a3amys.jpg

Rizzy

WKR
This pack compresses down great and is still functional when compressed.

I have day hunt gear plus my 0 deg slick bag in it in this pic and it carries great.

Any ideas on how to carry a game head with it yet?

kodiakfly

WKR
My ship date is Monday. Don't have a shipping notice yet, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm dying to get my hands on it!

Tiger Rag

WKR
20140516_161228.jpg20140516_161215.jpgOk, this is the majority of my gear (and some extra) except food. Plenty of room. First training hike. Comfortable and no issues.

Sorry for the picture quality, I used the front facing camera so I could see where I was in the frame.

EMR II.jpg

Last edited: