The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

looks too low to me. almost looks like the rear of the waistbelt is sagging. shouldnt do that unless you have over 100 in it

Thanks fillthefreezer, I think you are right. I'm still learning how to wear it and adjust it. I think I had the belt too low on my hips, I just put it on again and tightened it up higher. Belt strap almost on my naval and took a look in the mirror. It looked much better and more importantly felt much better. The load lifters also seemed more effective. Glad i took the pictures. I appreciate the critique.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Just for reference im about 5'10" 180. But like I said long torso/shorter legs.

I'm built similar except I'm 6'3". 22.5" torso is Aron's estimate although whenever I measure, I get like 24".

My waistbelts always seem to sag a little like that as well. I don't think I've got enough butt to hold it up like I'd like. It'll be interesting to see how the Kifaru rides on me. Thanks for posting pics!

Shrek

WKR
Thanks fillthefreezer, I think you are right. I'm still learning how to wear it and adjust it. I think I had the belt too low on my hips, I just put it on again and tightened it up higher. Belt strap almost on my naval and took a look in the mirror. It looked much better and more importantly felt much better. The load lifters also seemed more effective. Glad i took the pictures. I appreciate the critique.

My buckle sits over my navel for sure . One thing that got me messed up a few times was forgetting to make sure the delta straps were slack when I snugged the belt tight. Those are the load stabilizers that go from the belt to the pack.

Tiger Rag

WKR

Anybody know if the delta straps help adjust how the waistbelt rides?

Waistbelts are generally a little small on me it seems with a 38" waist. Hopefully the custom sized (vs other mfgr's) belt of the Kifaru will help wrap my hips a little to keep it in place.

Tiger Rag

WKR
My buckle sits over my navel for sure . One thing that got me messed up a few times was forgetting to make sure the delta straps were slack when I snugged the belt tight. Those are the load stabilizers that go from the belt to the pack.

Just what I was wondering. You think that helps keep the belt in place?....ie. with the delta straps?

OP
Aron Snyder

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
You guys can give me a call tomorrow and we can double check fitting.

I'm heading into the wilderness Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning, but good to go before that.

Shrek

WKR
The deltas only keep the load stabil and if too tight will keep the belt from grabbing you snugly. Loose to put the belt on and then just straighten the deltas , no pressure. If the bag wants to roll the deltas prevent it and thats all they do. Pull them tight and they can deform the belt and it doesn't work right. Most of the time I just leave them slack for sedate hiking on trails.

Tiger Rag

WKR
You guys can give me a call tomorrow and we can double check fitting.

I'm heading into the wilderness Tuesday evening/Wednesday morning, but good to go before that.

Thanks man, I won't have my pack until Thursday so I'll try you another day if I'm having trouble with it. I don't anticipate that, but you never know. I can always rewatch your video's. Who would I ask for at the plant late this week if I needed help? Kevin?

Or will you be back the following week? That would give me the weekend to mess with it and take some training hikes.

Tiger Rag

WKR
The deltas only keep the load stabil and if too tight will keep the belt from grabbing you snugly. Loose to put the belt on and then just straighten the deltas , no pressure. If the bag wants to roll the deltas prevent it and thats all they do. Pull them tight and they can deform the belt and it doesn't work right. Most of the time I just leave them slack for sedate hiking on trails.

Ok, makes complete sense since I know how load lifters can deform or lift the shoulder straps off your shoulder. I can picture this a similar fashion on the deltas. Obviously you want the tight belt fit around your waist. Thanks for the visual.

Anybody know if the delta straps help adjust how the waistbelt rides?

Waistbelts are generally a little small on me it seems with a 38" waist. Hopefully the custom sized (vs other mfgr's) belt of the Kifaru will help wrap my hips a little to keep it in place.

you should be fine, the belt is definitely the best thing about kifarus. im a 33/34 waist and use a small, sized up the belt should fit you great.

MattB

WKR

This is an important comment, as improper use of he delta straps seems to be a fairly common theme to new Kifaru users (myself included). IMO the delta straps should be the last thing adjusted and then only de-slacked, not tightened per se.

Rizzy

WKR
I like how the common loops on the bottom middle can be hooked to the common loops in the bottom back where the bottom of the bag is attached to the frame.
IMG_1580.jpg

This shrinks the bottom of the bag to a nice size that holds my 0 deg slick bag in an uncompressed medium 5 string stuff sack nicely.
IMG_1582.jpg

i did something similar, i took the forward most loops and pulled them all the way back to the frame with a couple slick clips for hunting out of just the wing pockets. i can get a pic tonight.

Rizzy

WKR
I'd like to see those pics, I'm not sure what slick clips are but that configuration would make the bottom even more sleek.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
No pics, just a basic way in how one might want to distribute the weight while loading their Kifaru EMR II pack:
[video=vimeo;94075665]https://vimeo.com/94075665[/video]
https://vimeo.com/94075665

*This was for a packraft float trip...no hunting was involved and only 3.5 miles in and 2.5 miles out after 38 miles of floating over 4.5 days. ;)