The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Still really liking my EMR 2

Can't really see the need for a mini EMR 2 like some want simply due to how well it compresses down all those extra cubic inches that aren't in use are not a big hinderance. Not only that but the center zip of the main bag means even with that huge bag you are never digging down into a big bag as its all easy to access and load with the center zip no matter oh much (as is the case with this pic) or little you have packed in there.

Last edited:
I'm loving my EMR II so far. I completely agree with Luke about the extra/unused inches compressing down very well. In my opinion it's always better to go with a bigger pack that compresses down well and gives you flexibility to carry bigger loads than to be on the other side of the fence and go with a smaller pack and then possibly run into situations where you were wishing you had more.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I recall Luke uses the EMR II with a Duplex and the High Camp with the Bikini frame. I have the Duplex with my EMR II. Favorite feature is the big zipper down the middle. ;)
1MW2.jpg

My first outing with new EMR II

First off a big thanks to all the info here on the site. After a long search I finally decided to go with an EMR II after seeing all the great stuff here.

My bag came in this last week. I wanted to take it out with a medium load to test out fit and function. I was able to take it out for a hike earlier with it compressed down to pretty much a day hike mode on the duplex frame with longhunter lid and 26" stays. To add to what others have said, I love this pack so far. As reference I am 6'4", 220 lbs and this thing came out of the box a great fit.

I took it out on a decent 6 mile hike with some elevation gain and through some tight squeezes. In day pack mode it worked great, I didn't get caught up on any brush and no sloppin around at all with everything pulled down tight. Being tall with a long torso, other packs I've tried never really had effective lifter straps. With the duplex frame they are beautiful. Throughout the hike I never had any pressure on my shoulder girdle and had basically free range of motion for reaching. The waist belt was perfect and cupped my hips like a glove to take the load. At both midway through and at the end I didn't notice any hotspots. I am very impressed with this for the first outing.

To sum it up I don't think I would change anything with this pack. For it to work great in both day mode and great on extended trips like in Luke's photo above, I don't think it can be beat. Kifaru makes a great pack. Thanks again to Aron and the guys here for the great reviews.

image.jpg

Fox

FNG
I hunt moose and am wondering what everyone's thoughts are for how to carry quarters on the EMR2. I was leaning toward a nomad and a grabbit. Not sure how one would support the bottom of a quarters with the EMR2.

colonel00

WKR
I hunt moose and am wondering what everyone's thoughts are for how to carry quarters on the EMR2. I was leaning toward a nomad and a grabbit. Not sure how one would support the bottom of a quarters with the EMR2.

I believe there are ways to hang either a Grabit or a hanging meat bag inside the EMR II so that you could have the weight centered up a little higher. Or, I also believe that you can cinch down the bottom of the main pack bag which would also hold a quarter up higher.

I received my EMR II yesterday. This is my first Kifaru pack. I'm a little late to the party, I know, but in case anyone is on the fence or looking for info...here's my .02 cents.:

Aesthetically this pack is very impressive. This ranks low on my priority list compared to say functionality but it's hard not to be impressed right when you open the box. Mines is in Foliage. the color is great, stitching is great. It ships in day mode and if you didn't know any better you would thing you bought a 2200-3000cu in bag.

Design: This thing is huge. It's exactly what I wanted. You can fit anything you want in this bag and if that's not enough room there's plenty of space options to lash on the outside.

Fit: I'm still not sure I have it fitted properly yet. (mainly my lifters) but I just got it yesterday. I threw 35 lbs. of plate weights in it and didn't like anything about the feel. (All the weight at fell to the bottom of the bag.) But after a quick read of this thread I'm ready to try the Grab It inside the bag or experiment with lower horizontal lash/cinch points.

I'll admit I was nervous. These are pricey objects but I have no doubt that I made the right move. Now I have 5 weeks to nail down my setup and finish training for CO archery ELK.

I also want to thank all the Rokslide members. This site has been invaluable to me. FYI. I have the EMR2 with Duplex frame, 24" stays, standard lid (didn't and still don't think I'll need the extra room) and Grab-It 2.

The more I use this pack, the more I love it! I love how it compresses to nothing and can expand to carry just about anything.

attachment.php

got my EMR II back in april. I've had it packed ever since and am sad to say I finally took it on its maiden voyage. Went scouting last weekend, 6 1/2 miles to camp. both steep up hills and down hills. Packed all my normal back country hunt gear (except rifle or course) @ around 45lbs. Bag rides great, frame stayed put, and everything was solid. got a lot of room in all my pockets, this bag is perfect for me. I hear people gasp about the cubic inches and say its too big for them..... I hunt CA blacktail bucks, not elk, not big bears, not moose, not mulies, ect and it is just enough for me to get all my gear + boned out deer in one trip. I always scratch my head and wonder how people pack out BIG game in anything less? When my partners and I bone out a big blacktail, it is a big ass bag of meat! 70ish lbs and takes up a lot of space. Unless all you are taking are backstraps and the hams.... You need a BIG bag to do it in one trip. This bag will do it and can't wait to get some blood on it. Saw some really big bucks up there ;)

Shrek

WKR
I don't have a picture but I sure want one . I've got a DT1 so I can't justify it yet...I'm thinking the pictures will include a flashing yellow light on top and a wide load banner ! Haha !

kodiakfly

WKR
Anyone have any pics fully loaded directly from the back while wearing it? I am just curious how wide it get fully loaded.

I've got mine loaded right now for training with water bladders, but it's still pretty streamlined. Thursday and Friday I'm planning on a hike-in fishing trip with a float tube, waders, wading boots, rods, etc, so it should be pretty loaded up then. I'll get a pic.

Tiger Rag

WKR
Anyone have any pics fully loaded directly from the back while wearing it? I am just curious how wide it get fully loaded.
I would just say, it can get pretty wide but it depends on how you load it. If you refine your loading you can keep it narrow enough. If you're not careful though, she can be a fat lady!

I am sure to keep anything that can compress well in the "wings" that way the pack isn't all that wide.