The 2014 Kifaru EMR II

Does anybody know what is the weight difference between the EMR II & the HC7k (no lid)?

not a complete answer, but for reference, when i first got the emr and put it on the scale, i was wondering if i had made the right call. it was heavy. coming from my cut up BT1 @ 91oz i wasnt sure the weight penalty was going to be worth it. now i have my bikini/emr down to 97.5oz with a med belt pouch it doesnt sting so bad.

As promised, loaded it up last night for a hike-in trout day trip. This wasn't my first haul with it, just the first with pics.

Pontoon boat, waders, wader boots, fins, fly rods, fishing gear, rain gear 100 oz Camelbak. So with the boat and waders and crap, I had a lot of irregularly shaped items that took up space. And since the gentleman was asking about a pic of it blown up, I didn't work on compressing it, and I let it go; packing stuff in the wings that could've gone in the main pack...which by the way was like half full.

Attachments

• kifaru.jpg
    kifaru.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 316
It could. Especially if I was really cramming stuff in there and packing wisely. Like I said, I was trying to get a "blown up" pic of it so I was just putting stuff in and not packing like I normally would. Bag is huge and like a lot of guys said here, when you get it you're almost overwhelmed with everywhere you can put stuff and how you can pack it. But after you use it a few times the bag seems to simplify and you know how you want to pack it and it's not such a beast.

And that goes with the suggestions for a "mini" version. I really don't see the need for one because this bag doesn't seem to be as monstrous as it sounds on paper or even when you first see it and it packs down really small. Only exception would be if you're an ounce counter and the extra ounces in the extra material would be a deal-breaker for you.

I love this pack! Love it..

Day hunt gear, two bou heads and two quarters. Rides like a champ.

attachment.php

Just curious what extras everyone is running with their packs (Grab-its, pouches)? Any tricks of the pack or clever ideas now that they're getting some field time?

I'm just beginning to learn my way around the EMRII but I've got a grab it on the outside and added a grab it to the inside (making a "mid level shelf"), small belt pouch on the left side belt and a HPG quart bottle holder on the right side belt. Have a couple of medium belt pouches on the way to see how they work on the bottom sides of the bag. Really loving the potential of this bag!

I am not using an extras, though I have a grab-it, hip pouches and lashing kits. I haven't found a need for any of that yet. This pack is great all by itself, so far!

two med belts and a longhunter lid. will fit the rifle, deer, and kitchen sink. everything snugs down tight, stays put, and easy to access. hope to be one of the first to load a blacktail in it next weekend.

I'm running the Longhunter lid, Grab it II, and two small belt pouches on a small belt. I run the Grab it on the inside of the bag at varying heights depending on the load volume. I hauled half a bull off the mountain with it three days ago at roughly 145-150 lbs total weight for my first trip out. I won't say it was comfortable. In fact it hurt a little... :D Still not sure the thing fits me right, but I guess you just have to suffer with loads that heavy when you're an average guy like me at a buck-70. Here's the last load. I was loving it at this stage of the pack out. ;)

Love my emr ii! For extended backpack hunts this is hands down my go to pack. My only complaint about this pack would be, the damn thing can hold so much you end up packing everything including the kitchen sink! In all seriousness. The entire design is flawless, I did two backpack hunts with this pack so far along with multiple scouting trips. One time I packed in deep set a spike camp and hunted out of it the entire trip. Other time I bivy hunted and just went with the flow of things. The pack is very easy to find your gear and know where it's at. Sliming if down to a small day pack is no issue. Attaching the grab it is simple and a great feeling when your hauling meat! Great pack!!!
5615b8734ed00669b5b8e4f0664c6a7f.jpg
b6d82de7d3c3453d9e53a846c61f9eb8.jpg
6ad6d8b332a8b632ee013b86d1bc6c9b.jpg

Back