Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 8 year old daughters went into lockdown at her elementary school due to a standoff and shooting right across the street. To say that I was freaked out is an understatement, as North Falmouth on Cape Cod is a quiet community. https://www.boston25news.com/news/l...ivity-near-school/4J4NNNWUB5BQZO6DYK4A3DBEZI/

Whenever this happens it immediately turns to finger pointing, and attacks on the NRA and the 2nd amendment, when in reality a lot can be done to protect our kids now without focusing on guns. The FBI has a school shooter assessment program that can identify vulnerability in a school security and then provide recommendations. This is free and every school governing body should get their head out of their ass and get this done. We should never have the mentality that this would not happen to our community, because it can. If we can print $40B for Ukraine, then by damn we can print money to have schools protected as much as possible, and I think no one would disagree on it's priority.

Yes, our country has a morals problem right now, and things are effed up, but that's not an easy fix. Focus on what we can fix, and if you are on a school board or committee, recommends actions like mentioned above and try to keeps folks off of the political soapbox, because it does nothing.
When you're being electrocuted, the first order of business is to turn off the electricity.

Second order of business is to not turn the electricity back on until it is safe to energize the system.

Ratbeetle

WKR
People want a community where kids and people are safe of course, but a community that needs weapons to be safe is different. That is more on the lines of South Africa and other less developed countries. Is the USA a 3rd world country now?

So just snap your fingers and make all the bad people disappear. How many school shootings are there in those third world countries?

"We want to be safe but not if it means we have to see those icky guns"

Emotional nonsense.

bsnedeker

WKR
Doesn’t seem like these shooting take place in major cities.
There are mass shootings in major cities damn near every day... it is where the majority of mass shootings take place. They are also the places with the most strict gun control laws.

Of course you know that, but facts don't matter to guys like you.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
wha? Please tell me you are not being serious.
How is it not? If you can't see the problem. This isn't a right vs left problem. This is whenever the country is in the shitter. Whenever popular opinion of our elected officials is waning something happens to take our minds of the shitty excuse for leaders we have.

Heat anything about soaring gas prices and inflation today? Hear any negative about the baby formula shortage today?

Hear anything about the food shortages today? Of course you have but very little. Not the coverage that is needed.

OP
J

Jmort1754

WKR
There are mass shootings in major cities damn near every day... it is where the majority of mass shootings take place. They are also the places with the most strict gun control laws.

Exactly. This is a new grabber. These guys say nothing and dont beat their drums when Chicago with the strictest gun control is a war zone.

Welcome to beautiful "CHIRAQ"

*zap*

WKR
It is pretty obvious to me that the folks in power will do anything to keep/expand that power.....that has always been true to a degree but now it is really out of control. So, I agree with the op.

Last edited:

Dcrafton

WKR
This whole things sucks, but criminals don’t care about laws. If they can’t buy the firearm legally they will buy it elsewhere.
These laws will just cost the law abiding citizens more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This whole things sucks, but criminals don’t care about laws. If they can’t buy the firearm legally they will buy it elsewhere.
These laws will just cost the law abiding citizens more.
Therein lies the problem. The 18 year old kid wasn't a criminal, yet. He was a law-abiding citizen.

Let me say that again - A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN went into a store and legally bought a weapon specifically designed to kill a lot of human beings quickly, and THEN proceeded to commit a criminal act.

The fact that a store legally handed over a weapon designed specifically for killing a lot of human beings quickly to an 18 year old kid with no knowledge of that kid or his experience with firearms or for that matter, with other people, is a problem. It has been demonstrated over and over again to be a problem. The fact that some people choose to ignore the problem does not mean it's no longer a problem or that it's a problem that cannot be solved.

Yoder

WKR
We have hundreds of millions of firearms in this country. If we ban all of them tomorrow, they aren't going away. Laws and Gun Free School Zone signs are not going to save your kids. How about we start acting like a country that has guns? Protect our children! I'm so tired of prayers and hope. How about locked doors, metal detectors and armed police officers? Our local school has an armed police officer on campus every day. You can have security without the school being like a prison. Most schools already have cameras everywhere. All you would need is someone watching the monitors that can actually defend the kids. Maybe a few people if the campus is big enough. Laws, background checks, mental health screenings are not going to stop crazy. There is no way to know what anyone is capable of. Protect the schools. We spend more protecting banks.

If they decide to ban anything and have a gun buyback, I'll sell back every gun I bought from the Government. I'm keeping all the rest.

Btaylor

WKR
Therein lies the problem. The 18 year old kid wasn't a criminal, yet. He was a law-abiding citizen.

Let me say that again - A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN went into a store and legally bought a weapon specifically designed to kill a lot of human beings quickly, and THEN proceeded to commit a criminal act.

The fact that a store legally handed over a weapon designed specifically for killing a lot of human beings quickly to an 18 year old kid with no knowledge of that kid or his experience with firearms or for that matter, with other people, is a problem. It has been demonstrated over and over again to be a problem. The fact that some people choose to ignore the problem does not mean it's no longer a problem or that it's a problem that cannot be solved.
What firearm is not designed for killing quickly? Is the proposal that the only publically acceptable firearm is a single shot shotgun?

Xerute

FNG

Let me say that again - A LAW ABIDING CITIZEN went into a store and legally bought a weapon designed for warfare and THEN proceeded to commit a criminal act.
First, already laws about murder and going into a gun free zone with a gun. Second, a semi-automatic AR15 and/or pistol is in no way a weapon of war.
And let me say it again, from a great piece of literature - SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED was written explicitly. Don't use the tragic deaths of these kids from a psychopath to try to take a moral high ground and try to strip Americans from the right to firearms under any condition. Thanks.
Over 10,000 people have died every year due to drunk drivers in the United States, we don't blame alcohol or cars, or push to make them harder to obtain and they aren't even mentioned in the Constitution. Why is that? Maybe because driving drunk is a crime just as randomly shooting people and entering a gun free zone with a gun is.

Yoder

WKR

We hand 18 yr olds guns in the military all the time. 18 is an adult. We live in a society that allows 8 yr olds to decide their gender but question if a legal adult can buy a firearm.

WCB

WKR

Weren't repeating firearms in general all designed to kill more quickly? So what makes the type of firearm relevant besides sensationalism?

And the point is exactly that LAW ABIDING CITIZENS should be able to go into a store and by a firearm. I don't see anything wrong with that.

14 killed and another 31 injured buy a bolt action 700 and a shotgun in Texas a few years ago...and LAW ABIDING CITIZENS aided in the conclusion of that shooting because the bought firearms and returned fire.

BjornF16

WKR

Correction...

MENTALLY ILL law abiding citizen who met the federal/state definition of "prohibited person".

It has been demonstrated over and over again: Current laws aren't being followed

So, it sounds like most folks here agree we have a morals problem in this country and that a lot of people just don't value life the way they should.

Meanwhile, we also insist it should be easy for anyone who can legally buy a firearm designed specifically to kill lots of people quickly, (even knowing we have a morals problem in this country and a lot of people who can legally buy firearms, don't value life the way they should).

"First, already laws about murder and going into a gun free zone with a gun. Second, a semi-automatic AR15 and/or pistol is in no way a weapon of war."

So long as we're being this intellectually dishonest, nothing will change.

We hand 18 yr olds guns in the military all the time. 18 is an adult. We live in a society that allows 8 yr olds to decide their gender but question if a legal adult can buy a firearm.
Surely you can explain the difference in training and supervision between a member of the military and the 18 year old in question.

How often do you see 18 year old members of the military walking around off-base, unsupervised, with a firearm issued to them by the military?

Weren't repeating firearms in general all designed to kill more quickly? So what makes the type of firearm relevant besides sensationalism?

And the point is exactly that LAW ABIDING CITIZENS should be able to go into a store and by a firearm. I don't see anything wrong with that.

14 killed and another 31 injured buy a bolt action 700 and a shotgun in Texas a few years ago...and LAW ABIDING CITIZENS aided in the conclusion of that shooting because the bought firearms and returned fire.
Yes, repeating arms were in general, designed to kill more quickly. But we're educated intelligent animals and we can decide HOW quickly.

BjornF16

WKR
So, it sounds like most folks here agree we have a morals problem in this country and that a lot of people just don't value life the way they should.

Meanwhile, we also insist it should be easy for anyone who can legally buy a firearm designed specifically to kill lots of people quickly, (even knowing we have a morals problem in this country and a lot of people who can legally buy firearms, don't value life the way they should).

"First, already laws about murder and going into a gun free zone with a gun. Second, a semi-automatic AR15 and/or pistol is in no way a weapon of war."

So long as we're being this intellectually dishonest, nothing will change.
Please...just stop with the "designed specifically to kill lots of people quickly" garbage.

Yes. Garbage.

A bomb is intended to kill lots of people quickly. An AR-15 is not a bomb.

Automatic weapons are not intended to "kill lots of people quickly". They are intended as suppressive fires since they really aren't all that accurate...at least when fired in automatic mode.

BTW...an AR-15 isn't an automatic weapon...but of course, you know this.

An AR-15 isn't any different than any other .223/5.56 semi-automatic rifle. I would argue its' killing power, technically, is less than say a semi-auto .308 or .30-06.

So please just stop with the demagoguery. Guns aren't the problem...people are.

Status
Not open for further replies.