Texas school shooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is an incredibly complex issue and I guarantee the founding fathers were not contemplating people using firearms to go on mass school shootings on a regular basis when they were writing the constitution. I would hope our highly esteemed founding fathers would have had some better ideas other than throwing their hands up and saying, what can we do?
The founding fathers probably never contemplated us leaving children unprotected. ONE armed guard at a school, yet we can pump 40 bil to Ukraine over and over like it's nothing.

mwill28

Lil-Rokslider
If this is partially a mental health issue; how do we solve for that? Who gets to decide who the "mental defectives" are? The government?

WCB

WKR
Yes, repeating arms were in general, designed to kill more quickly. But we're educated intelligent animals and we can decide HOW quickly.
ok what rate of fire is your cut off? Do I get penalized for shooting a certain platform faster than the next guy? I thought you just worried about weapons of war...you know bolt action rifles, pump shotguns, revolvers. Those can be shot pretty darn quick also...

educated and intelligent? you mean the society that thinks men can have babies? yeah lets get those people to chime in on rate of fire

BjornF16

WKR
If this is partially a mental health issue; how do we solve for that? Who gets to decide who the "mental defectives" are? The government?
This isn’t anything new. States already have laws on the books regarding what it takes to institutionalize or mandate treatment. Anyone adjudicated as a mental defective is supposed to be placed on a “prohibited person” list to not be eligible to buy or possess firearms (again, already enshrined in law).

mwill28

Lil-Rokslider
This isn’t anything new. States already have laws on the books regarding what it takes to institutionalize or mandate treatment. Anyone adjudicated as a mental defective is supposed to be placed on a “prohibited person” list to not be eligible to buy or possess firearms (again, already enshrined in law).
Perfect! So how do these laws preemptively locate people with mental deficiency before they do something to come up on the radar as mentally defective?

BjornF16

WKR
So how do you go about enforcing that? Honest question?
Since you are honestly asking…

1. Parents need to take ownership of their kids behavior…and discipline. Stop being their friend and be their parent.

2. Get professional healthcare help when your kids are exhibiting mental health issues. Stop being ostriches.

3. Teachers need to also report exhibited mental health issues.

4. Don’t be afraid to mandate a mental health evaluation .

5. If diagnosed with a mental health issue, then place the person on prohibited person list.

6. LEO can make the referrals for psych evaluation as well.

In the short time since this tragic event, there have already been reports that indicated people knew he had severe issues…yet no one acted.

sndmn11

Well Known pink hat wearing Rokslider
This is a genuine question I don't have an answer to, but I like asking hard questions.

Are Americans spoiled, in this instance with their safety and expectations of safety? (i.e. "first world problems")

I ask because nearly all countries lose lives on this scale due to violent acts on a much more regular basis. In the Abbey Gate bombing, 13 US Soldiers perished, but there was also a forgotten 170+ deaths of Afghans. On the daily recently, reports of dozens of Ukrainians die from attacks.

Follow up question: Does the success previous generations of Americans had in providing safety and essentially eliminating peril make Americans less safe in practice?

BjornF16

WKR
Perfect! So how do these laws preemptively locate people with mental deficiency before they do something to come up on the radar as mentally defective?
In addition to parents and LEO involvement, doctors are supposed to report mental illness diagnosis as well…but pretty much none of them ever do.

So before we start taking away God given rights, or limiting rights, let’s actually implement the laws already on the books.

mwill28

Lil-Rokslider
In addition to parents and LEO involvement, doctors are supposed to report mental illness diagnosis as well…but pretty much none of them ever do.

So before we start taking away God given rights, or limiting rights, let’s actually implement the laws already on the books.
Makes good sense to me, thanks for taking the time to educate me.

hunt1up

WKR
Since you are honestly asking…

1. Parents need to take ownership of their kids behavior…and discipline. Stop being their friend and be their parent.

2. Get professional healthcare help when your kids are exhibiting mental health issues. Stop being ostriches.

3. Teachers need to also report exhibited mental health issues.

4. Don’t be afraid to mandate a mental health evaluation .

5. If diagnosed with a mental health issue, then place the person on prohibited person list.

6. LEO can make the referrals for psych evaluation as well.

In the short time since this tragic event, there have already been reports that indicated people knew he had severe issues…yet no one acted.

That’s a very substantive response. Thanks. Except for one part where I take a slight exception. We can’t expect turd parents to take the bull by the horns when they’re already part of the problem.

BjornF16

WKR
This is a genuine question I don't have an answer to, but I like asking hard questions.

Are Americans spoiled, in this instance with their safety and expectations of safety? (i.e. "first world problems")

I ask because nearly all countries lose lives on this scale due to violent acts on a much more regular basis. In the Abbey Gate bombing, 13 US Soldiers perished, but there was also a forgotten 170+ deaths of Afghans. On the daily recently, reports of dozens of Ukrainians die from attacks.

Follow up question: Does the success previous generations of Americans had in providing safety and essentially eliminating peril make Americans less safe in practice?
Show me where “safety” is a Constitutional right or guarantee?

The closest I find is “life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness”… but those things are defined individually.

Americans used to be proud of “rugged individualism and self sufficiency”, but I’m afraid that is a thing of the past.

Please tell me how an AR15 is a weapon of war since I am being intellectually dishonest. In 2022 you don't take an AR15 overseas and that is just a fact.
Seems like a bunch of people want to infringe on others rights (which is used to protect from foreign and domestic threats) and haven't learned that every tyrant in the world has reached for guns first because an unarmed population is easy to control and an armed one is not. All while turning a blind eye to other things that cause far more deaths each year in the United States, so please don't try to take the moral high ground in this argument.
Well, abortion is viewed as a legal right by the laws of the U.S., and most folks who say they are pro-life (despite having no problem with the 18 year old buying a high capacity semi auto designed for killing humans) would like to deny them of that legal right.

Last edited:
Every time I try to make sense of these senseless tragedy's, I come up with - 'Our youths are desensitized to gun violence'.
They grew up watching movies with these acts, as entertainment.
And playing video games, where they can be the one, doing the shooting.

It sure seems like accessibility to these things for kids, are the place to start, when making a change.

Maybe Hollywood should pay a 'Violence tax' when making money off that crap.
I am going to call BS on this because it sounds exactly like Tipper Gore in the 80's about heavy metal music and war movies with Arnold in them.

BjornF16

WKR
That’s a very substantive response. Thanks. Except for one part where I take a slight exception. We can’t expect turd parents to take the bull by the horns when they’re already part of the problem.
Unfortunately you are correct…but this needs to change.

And if parents don’t step up, then extended family and teachers need to fill the void.

Then LEO…

Then doctors…

I’m sorry, law abiding citizens don’t murder people. That is one of the worst crimes. If he was a law abiding citizen he would not commit crimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Everyone is a law abiding citizen right before they aren't.

We're talking about which tools should be accessible to those who have not been properly vetted. I would argue that a person is not properly vetted simply by virtue of turning 18.

We don't hand every military recruit a rifle on day one without knowing anything about then, then let them take it home or anyplace else they want to go. But that's basically what just happened in Uvalde.

Status
Not open for further replies.