SWFA 3-9 unicorn quick look

I have an older 3-9 and it’s not screwed out near that much. I have a few new models I need to mount on rifles so haven’t tried them yet to see if there’s a difference.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have an older 3-9 and it’s not screwed out near that much. I have a few new models I need to mount on rifles so haven’t tried them yet to see if there’s a difference.
Mine didn’t need to get moved out anywhere near that far. I’d probably love on from it if it did.

BBob

WKR
My newest one is further out than an older one but not as far as the one posted here. Still a decent gap on the new one though.

Mine is screwed very far out. All my other scopes have always been very nearly screwed all the way in and I've got 20/15 vision. So it's really odd that I have to set it that way, but it does do what it's supposed to

JCMCUBIC

WKR
I've only mounted one of the new ones. There's a noticeable difference in the focus setting/distance-screwed-out than on any of the older ones I have already mounted.

This makes me wonder.. did everyone who was expecting a 3-9 in the recent shipment get theirs? Mine has not arrived yet.

@Rob5589 how does this compare to the credo 3-9 to you? Primarily @ 3x where I'd be using one most for whitetails if i got the trijicon.

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
This makes me wonder.. did everyone who was expecting a 3-9 in the recent shipment get theirs? Mine has not arrived yet.

@Rob5589 how does this compare to the credo 3-9 to you? Primarily @ 3x where I'd be using one most for whitetails if I got the trijicon.
Glass is better on the Trijicon. The Trij reticle is larger at 3x due to the sfp vs ffp. But with the heavy outer posts of the super chicken, you aren't really lacking at 3x. If it didn't have the heavy outer posts like many ffp scopes it would be tough to see especially at lower light. The Trij also is illuminated if that matters to you. It's fairly cold here today and I found the mag ring on the super chicken to be hard to turn whereas the Trij moves as usual. The SC could use a knob on the ring like the Trij; the Trij doesn't really need one.

How is this current/new vs old 3-9 defined? As far as I know the design hss been the same for ages, with the exception of the addition of HD glass at some point

OP
Rob5589

Rob5589

WKR
To be clear, I wear glasses for both distance and close. So take that into account when comparing the differences. The diopter adjustment on the super chicken seems very fine compared to a more coarse adjustment on other scopes I have/used. The only issue I can see is debris getting in the threads.

ljalberta

WKR
I should be receiving mine shortly and can report as well. Might look funny. But as long as it works I don’t care.

I did just get a new 10MQ with debris inside on the lenses. As a Canadian who cannot simply swap one out after importing, that was slightly annoying.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
Sounds like the new models are standard across the board on this. It will be mid-Feb before I start shooting any of the new ones. Hopefully they'll be as reliable as the old.
Limited field use but we used two fixed 6's with this new "reticle focus issue" (that doesn't have anything to do with how they perform) this season. A Tikka .260 and Tikka .243 killed both with fixed 6's with the reticle focus screwed way out from factory setting. We put some hard use on them and killed 8 deer between the two rifles. Two airplane rides to and from Minnesota from Arizona, tons of miles strapped to packs, bouncing around in ATV's and pickups, a couple hard knocks to rifle/scope here and there. I'm a check zero NAZI... Neither one lost zero once in any of that.