Survival/General purpose knife

It’s too late for me. Not pictured: Dawson Forester, Uinta Hunter V2, and BRK Mini Tundra that’s on the way 😅😅
LOVE IT!!!

And I just got my new Cross Knives UP Hunter and won a Bluejay Bladeworks Callous!
Mine is the one on the Left.
5T-0V5oWUrkSfLgmSswQATuJ0nMYE8izZOhILtBrCKiwRk655cE2rgxvubA4O9CCg3yCdgep6veqZnlAGjPrOf4ZRH6ZmsuxczRDX1WeAujBxU8lHzwWdEgjzBNRpRUMk5_-q_EGbEr8ABkEikkksDbZTJ9UaCWVc7JixL3saxA6_eYqYoMPJD-xSTgOtt5gmxsCin9QHrn2QM5_SYDg_3h9yw0_EJCvOpep9kYPeiPrz7FfcD8baUOR2mKh5kHmFDJT9D_E3-rfKNT7cthRx8TgOfYzS4eX36q5vR8W9TVHirAufK0JrBBUZ6owSy7VqyeYxoFN7f255BpdOHZvUpIfOoGndUZhqKCaL061-xfaMwNg2MV0hfSGspj8FpzEWikn7cPQu1X1a34NPpKSqCKwBEm5o7xI0gtVt0J2VUclSte1kEVF_dx_5K5SjHsS2lTb0SYkIt9wC2hXSHBVMGXzbOB4muxfOo5j1PjYBZ80w9hbreWAVpSCg_IYrvpW0S6eKvpSnZg2sM6ii6lRnvbPJEpcwOhdjQM7lElcFUOez-t-VVBleF3WZJs3CU-9qXZWSMMJJtNt57wp-SyVBhG-GezcplBudH_mS2nnYVNW-IMGX98Q3hL0vUAObXThojIyoJSwcGvnqGfo5CF6p9dO3001_is2xhDJN1xkQl3d8CY8rLBWIl_Vvy0zeu8Ef99-ZtydL8JuOH0OvzmMdxG9OQRcELavJUrcGkCu7I38LX1ywn0aJkIjSZC6HfCPwX2LAsdjdFJwuu3je5s1LKSE0eAl0_IRiHPKI1Is_hsf7e7OL_hA19S5te7PxdAqp2Muy5FZ22KYAkb_gOQD4MgItht9rGgNj5nvuegJvVJiZSRuVWOrYe52Bj6iHuoZmSwpeGYKozTRhrPvAwBfXrrx4tuZMSNOi29tdT20x9ywcmD3=w515-h913-no

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy made me this out of an old bed frame rail, I strap this to my backpack and it’s light enough that I don’t even know it’s there until I need it. 6.9 oz, 4 1/2” blade, 9 1/2” oal.

37FEF972-AF4B-4158-9B3F-2D868C7B39C6.jpeg

Last week elk hunting I found a stump full of fat wood, cut some up and had a fire later that day

E2E8FFF1-6CE9-458A-992D-FD87FC87156A.jpeg

1D16DD9B-07D0-423A-977C-8AE3263700BB.jpeg

OP
jnawalaniec
My buddy made me this out of an old bed frame rail, I strap this to my backpack and it’s light enough that I don’t even know it’s there until I need it. 6.9 oz, 4 1/2” blade, 9 1/2” oal.

View attachment 477658

Last week elk hunting I found a stump full of fat wood, cut some up and had a fire later that day

View attachment 477659

View attachment 477669
Interesting i’ve never heard of someone making a knife from a bed frame, very cool knife!

E6ylK

FNG
I always have a fixed blade knife in my pack. It’s just too useful to not have. That said, I don’t think I’d ever carry a 16 oz knife, unless it was just for fun. I’ve come to find that a 3-4” fixed blade with a full tang will do almost anything needed, and is frequently the ideal size for most tasks, including field dressing game.

For 16oz, I’d much rather carry a fixed blade and a folding saw, which significantly ups your capabilities, or just a fixed blade and save 8ozs. I normally do the latter, unless I’m planning to need a saw (IE, a camping trip).

Another poster mentioned they’d never baton wood in a survival situation, and that’s fair, I wouldn’t either, except sometimes that’s the only way to get to dry wood to start a fire. I was very humbled after moving to the PNW and had difficulty starting fires with tinder and wasn’t able to without tinder. Consider that it rains or snows for 8 months of the year, and snow and ice typically coat trees for months in the mountains and soak into dead wood during freeze and thaw cycles. Even dead standing trees will have a layer of ice soaked wood, but a saw and knife will get you to dry wood.

Moras are hard to beat for the price, and I’d carry one if that was my budget, but it wouldn’t be the same one I practice with. Non-full tang knives will eventually get damaged from batoning.

I’m partial to the Fallkniven F1, but there are tons of good options in that size and weight. The Bacho Laplander is a decent saw, but I think there are better deals to be had in your local hardware store, with similar quality construction and longevity.

I always have a fixed blade knife in my pack. It’s just too useful to not have. That said, I don’t think I’d ever carry a 16 oz knife, unless it was just for fun. I’ve come to find that a 3-4” fixed blade with a full tang will do almost anything needed, and is frequently the ideal size for most tasks, including field dressing game.

For 16oz, I’d much rather carry a fixed blade and a folding saw, which significantly ups your capabilities, or just a fixed blade and save 8ozs. I normally do the latter, unless I’m planning to need a saw (IE, a camping trip).

Another poster mentioned they’d never baton wood in a survival situation, and that’s fair, I wouldn’t either, except sometimes that’s the only way to get to dry wood to start a fire. I was very humbled after moving to the PNW and had difficulty starting fires with tinder and wasn’t able to without tinder. Consider that it rains or snows for 8 months of the year, and snow and ice typically coat trees for months in the mountains and soak into dead wood during freeze and thaw cycles. Even dead standing trees will have a layer of ice soaked wood, but a saw and knife will get you to dry wood.

Moras are hard to beat for the price, and I’d carry one if that was my budget, but it wouldn’t be the same one I practice with. Non-full tang knives will eventually get damaged from batoning.

I’m partial to the Fallkniven F1, but there are tons of good options in that size and weight. The Bacho Laplander is a decent saw, but I think there are better deals to be had in your local hardware store, with similar quality construction and longevity.
Just curious - what is your 3"-4" fixed blade of choice and what is the weight on it? I get the weight ideas.

And your right - you shouldn't really be batoning wood with a knife unless thats what you have to do. Alaska can be the same situation for sure.

E6ylK

FNG
Just curious - what is your 3"-4" fixed blade of choice and what is the weight on it? I get the weight ideas.

And your right - you shouldn't really be batoning wood with a knife unless thats what you have to do. Alaska can be the same situation for sure.
My 3-4” of choice is the Fallkniven F1 (basic vg-10 model). I’ve carried it for about 12-13 years and have been very happy with its performance. The convex edge lasts a long time between sharpenings and only needs minor touch ups to bring it back to razor sharp. I got over the purchase price years ago and am no longer delicate with it, but that’s not to say I abuse it (I do baton with it, without a second thought). I’m happy with how it performs and supremely confident it’ll last through anything I ask of it.

A lot of people complain about the sheath, but I really like how it’s very basic, utilitarian, durable and light(-ish).

It weighs:
5.3 oz - knife alone
7.4 oz - knife and sheath

My 3-4” of choice is the Fallkniven F1 (basic vg-10 model). I’ve carried it for about 12-13 years and have been very happy with its performance. The convex edge lasts a long time between sharpenings and only needs minor touch ups to bring it back to razor sharp. I got over the purchase price years ago and am no longer delicate with it, but that’s not to say I abuse it (I do baton with it, without a second thought). I’m happy with how it performs and supremely confident it’ll last through anything I ask of it.

A lot of people complain about the sheath, but I really like how it’s very basic, utilitarian, durable and light(-ish).

It weighs:
5.3 oz - knife alone
7.4 oz - knife and sheath
nice, I've heard nothing but praise for the F1. I haven't gotten the pleasure to use or hold one.

I know my Bark river Bravo is about 9" overall, .215" spine and 7.375 oz.
My favorite is my Bark River Knives Wilderness Explorer - 10.75" overall, .156" spine, and 8.3oz-8.5oz.
That F1 is nice and light.
I have several others I love. I carry a pound in knives but thats normally because I'm carrying 2+

Ark6

FNG
Interesting i’ve never heard of someone making a knife from a bed frame, very cool knife!

Bed frame is super hard. I’ve never made a knife from one but have used them for other things that need very stiff small angle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

asmxxiv

FNG
Have been carrying a Benchmade 162 Bushcrafter for 10 years on every outing and it takes a beating but still looks new. Great for bigger hands, as well.

In my previous job I started an online and brick & mortar knife store, so I’ve had the pleasure of handling many knives.

For the price, Bark River are fantastic. Plus their warranty is incredible.

Hands down the nicest “bushcraft” knife I’ve handled is a Deering. He sells on Instagram only, and they’re pricey.

He makes his own leather sheaths as well and let’s just say he could go into business just making sheaths..

b29aec34844727eb5eb26f3e4577abda.jpg

In my previous job I started an online and brick & mortar knife store, so I’ve had the pleasure of handling many knives.

For the price, Bark River are fantastic. Plus their warranty is incredible.

Hands down the nicest “bushcraft” knife I’ve handled is a Deering. He sells on Instagram only, and they’re pricey.

He makes his own leather sheaths as well and let’s just say he could go into business just making sheaths..

b29aec34844727eb5eb26f3e4577abda.jpg

Love the Barkies - I'll have to check out Deering - that is a nice Puukko looking blade.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've owned a couple of Fallkniven F1's over the years, but found I prefer the slightly larger (albeit slighty heavier) S1 knife combined with a custom Silky saw. 9 oz total and it's great combo fire for fire prep- for a regular fire or hot tent.

I find the longer blade and slightly thicker spine handier for processing wood and for only 1.5 oz increase in weight.

UaHAypv.jpg