Looking for a new knife to fill a void. ESEE 4, Benchmade 162 or?

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I handle about 80% of my outdoor cutting chores with smaller fixed blade knives like ESEE Izula but many times I can see the need for a bit more blade length. Field dressing and skinning are easy enough with the smaller knives but the whole butcher job and other tasks are where I believe I could benefit from a different fixed blade knife.

I'm thinking of something that would be all around knife and not necessarily a special purpose tool. I like the ESEE knifes and I own a molle back Cordura sheath for the ESEE 5 & 6 but both the 5 & 6 seem to be too much knife. I'm thinking something in the 4 to 5 inch blade range and the only 2 I can think of that I know anything about and have owned prior are the Benchmade and the ESEE 4.

Would like the new knife to work with fire-starter rods, have good edge holding capabilities and have a fairly thick blade-to fill the void I now have. I would like to keep the costs under $150-the Benchmade is actually above $150 but I like the way it feels in hand.

What others could you all recommend? I don't keep up with current trends and I have no idea if there are newer knives available. I looked through a few options at Cabelas and did not see anything other than the Benchmade and ESEE that caught my eye.

Thanks

SHTF

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm a huge fan of Survive knives they are spendy but well worth the money, Guy the owner stands behind his blades 150% too. I own the GSO 5.1 and it's a work horse knife. Will do anything you need it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both good knives. I like those ESEEs and would like to have a 4 or 5" someday again. TOPS knives also makes some good blades in the 3-5" range for a decent price.

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
Can't say enough about the Benchmade 162. Love the ergonomics, weight, steel, everything but the sheath, really. Broke down two whitetails last fall with mine and it's still razor sharp.

Made this sheath for mine to replace the factory one, now it's perfect!

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Can't say enough about the Benchmade 162. Love the ergonomics, weight, steel, everything but the sheath, really. Broke down two whitetails last fall with mine and it's still razor sharp.

Made this sheath for mine to replace the factory one, now it's perfect!

You made that sheath? Very nice work-much nicer than the factory one. Thanks for the information

Not what your asking but if your processing game at home I have really been liking a fillet knife the last couple years.

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
Filet knives are great for precise work given their thin flexible blades. I've used them on occasion for getting tenderloins and similar tasks.

The Benchmade Saddle Mountain Skinner is just slightly over a 4 inch blade. It is a really nice sized knife and the handle and the blade size and shape are spot on for most tasks. And we all know Benchmade makes a great knife.

Saddle Mountain Skinner

The Buck Vanguard is a really nice knife also. Cabelas has them in their catalog with S30V steel and has a black coating on the blade in their Alaska Guide series. Very nice knife. I'll say that same thing I just did for the Benchmade. The handle is really confortable in the hand, and attractive with the dymondwood. The blade on this one is just over 4" long also and the shape is similar and would be very useful for most tasks. I really like this one too and like Benchmade, made here in the USA!

Go to Cabelas and fondle both of them. I think you will be very impressed.

Vanguard(R) Knife - Buck(R) Knives OFFICIAL SITE

Marshmstr

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the saddle mountain hunter and saddle mountain skinner.....love them both!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Above your price range but I love Winkler knives. I use their hunter. Grayman is another name. Built like soviet tanks, blocky, ugly and truly functional.

ESEE 4 is a nice knife... I am liking the looks of the HM a little more for ergos.
I'm a hunge Bark River fan these days... have the Gunny, Rising Wolf, and Camp and trail... love these knives.

It's right around your price range, but I would look at the Bravo 1 - it is a thick knife (you said you wanted thick) but cuts amazing... you can look at the LT version as well for a thinner blade.

I have the gunny which is a smaller version, but not too small - it is a great hunting knife as well.

I also second the Benchmade 162, it is a fantastic knife. All I take with me is that and a Leatherman. I have beat my crap out of my 162, have processed lots of wood with it and it is still incredibly sharp.

Shraggs

WKR
For what you have described and what you already own - I would look at two Bark River models. The mountain man in the 5" is well respected for its field and home butchering performance. I have the 8" model for more of my home butcher needs. Their other model is the mini kalahari sportsman. It's designed as a boning/fillet and a touch stiffer then typical fillet knives. I own the larger model and is one of most used knives. There are a few on line outlets for them but not sure if I'm allowed to note that in a thread. Pm if needed.

Best John

frankrb3

WKR
I love my Blind Horse Knives woodsman pro. Very stout blade with a great profile for most field tasks. I believe the two guys that started blind horse knives went their separate ways. The good news is now we have battle horse knives(who still make the woodsman pro) and LT Wright knives(which look great as well). I only have experience with the woodsman pro but I would check them both out. I just checked the websites and the BHK featherstick looks awesome as well as the L.T. Wright genesis.

Genesis Scandi - L.T. Wright Handcrafted Knives

Feather Stick #9 sheath 45 business day turnaround

OP
philos

philos

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm very grateful for all the recommendations. Went with the ESEE 4 and was able to get the knife, molle back and accessory pouch for $124.00 no tax and free shipping from Knifeworks.

It would be very easy to go crazy on knives-there are so many I would like to own but honestly I likely already have too many-if there is such a thing as too many knives.

mcseal2

WKR
I see the OP already made his choice, and a good one, but figure I'd add this late for anyone still looking.

I have the Camillus Bushcrafter knife and have been very happy with it. I have several other higher dollar knives including the Benchmade 162, ESEE laserstrike, and a few BHK knives. This knife compares very well to any of them in toughness and usefulness. It may not quite hold the edge of a BHK or ESEE, but it's darn close and easier to re-sharpen. I've been carrying it for several years now daily on the ranch and I beat the hell out of it working. It has held up great. The thinner handle makes it easy to carry. I've skinned and quartered several deer with it and it works well also. I can't say enough good about this knife. The others I mentioned are very good but I can't say they are better than this one despite costing considerably more. I like this one well enough there are 2 more sitting in the gun safe in case I lose it or they stop making them. I also like that the leather sheath and brown handle don't draw attention like a more military looking knife when I do go to town with it on. Lots of ranchers and hands my age are carrying a belt knife and leatherman in this area though, so that makes a difference too.

I have a BHK Scout Platoon I really like also when I do want a larger blade. It handles very well, feels smaller than it is when doing fine work, but still has just enough weight for bigger knife jobs. My main knife for processing game is a BHK blackwater with a thin 4" blade. They both get used quite a bit too but not abused quite like the Camillus.