Survival/General purpose knife

@jnawalaniec if I'm hunting I normally have 2-3 knives. I always carry a folder on my person, I have a hunting knife on my belt or in my pack and then I keep a small havalon in my kill kit just in case.
I have found for most general use on a folder i like a 3.5" blade and for fixed blades I like a 4.5"-5" blade with a balanced or slightly blade heavy knife. Now I am not the most experienced backpacker - but I've done a few stints while I'm out hunting.
When I'm just out in the woods for the day I'll normally carry a heavier fixed blade and then my folder - If I'm bringing a pack like above I will bring my small forest axe as well and I want to get a hatchet to maybe even replace that with.
But it is definitely worth it to have a good fixed blade.

THese are the knives I brought recently on a fly out hunt - I carried the Benchmade Contego in pocket, Havalon in kill kit and then I rotated blades. The group I was with 2 guys didn't bring knives so I brought extras so we could all be cutting on once we got to the point of starting to break the animals down.

Big fan of Bark River - they have the best warranty out there and their knives are great. I've hear great things about the BOB blades but haven't owned one.
adaknives.jpg

Since this post, I have gone down a deep knife rabbit hole. I have a bark river north country edc. Awesome knife, haven’t gotten a chance to put it to work yet.
I sold a NC EDC and regret it - I needed funds and that was one of the first to sell. I want to get another one but I'm specifically trying to get a Sheep Horn Collection of knives - it is my favorite material but not as indestructible as say Micarta and SureTouch.
You'll love that NCEDC! Was great in the Caribou I broke down with mine - I had Black Canvas Micarta.

I own a BOB and love it. But I own a lot of knives and admitted to myself this year that I am a knife collector.

When going out I plan for the weather and the hunt and carry a couple knives. I always have a razor knife/Outdoor Edge in the kill kit - that just lives there always so its never forgotten. That being said I prefer a traditional blade over it so its a backup really. So next for survival if it is wet weather I have a Falkniven S1 in the pack, if it's dry out/early season then one of my other knives to perhaps include the BOB but aimed at bushcraft/survival needs. Then in my pocket either a Gerber Gator (from decades ago so its one of the good ones) or a Buck on my belt - either a 110 or the 118 (they have limited release this year of the 118). I'll rotate in other knives sometimes but usually carry 3 - the one that lives in the kill kit with it's replaceable blades packed in there too, the survival knife/tool in the pack and then one on my belt or in my pocket.
I like the other people's mentions above about carrying a small hatchet - I do own a small forest axe and might rotate that in for the survival knife in the future from time to time and see how I like that carry.

I own various knives from Tops, Benchmade, Buck, Falkniven, Lapp knives purchased from a Lapp in Norway years ago, the Ontario RAT 1 which is an excellent pocketknife - love that one, Gerbers, Kershaw from decades ago so a japanese steel folder from them, probably a few more in my collection. I just cycle them in and out of carry rotation and hunt rotation. They are all gorgeous works of art and I love this hobby. It sounds like you too op have started down the rabbit hole of knife collecting - its fun but you gotta budget, lol. Also be sure that if you do start collecting that you collect for your desires - if you hop onto knife forums you'll find people kinda in a race or competition it seems with their collections - be sure you stay true to yourself and what makes you happy with knife collecting. Knives are great tools and often works of functional art.

I own a BOB and love it. But I own a lot of knives and admitted to myself this year that I am a knife collector.
DONT ADMIT IT!!!! ;) hahaha

You need to get a Bark River! I agree with what is being said - like I said I love Sheep Horn so other then a custom knife I'm getting from a maker with square pins I plan to only buy Sheep Horn knives for myself in the future. Otherwise I have 3-4 knives I've bought and sold because I want to replace them with Sheep Horn in the future. I've found I also really prefer knives with a finger guard/quillion.

I had up to about 45 knives and am back down to 20 (but I have a custom knife being finished this weekend)

For a good field knife you want something with a decent blade height and spine thickness.

I'll post a link to the 118 limited run if anyone is interested - it has a great rep for taking apart deer, there's more than a few hunters that swear by it:

https://www.buckknives.com/product/...ta-420hc-steel-limited-factory-run/0118BO9-B/

The other thing is though - over the years - I have taken apart more deer with a larger pocketknife than anything else. Seems like a blade approaching 4 inches, maybe a little under that length but not over, and I prefer the clip point and not the drop point - that works extremely well, probably why a lot of hunters swear by the Buck 110. They have that on sale too now in the high end steel. My Gerber Gator is my absolute favorite for taking apart deer - just works great for me and I owned it decades before I bought a 110 so there is that - I am just comfy with that blade for that job.

The Rat 1 is an incredible knife and very cheap so if you just need a solid backup for under $30 the AUS8 version is good and for a little more the D2 is very good steel for that size knife. You can't go wrong with a Rat 1 or the Buck 110. Rat 1 will be much lighter than the 110 though and with a thinner handle so its all your needs and preference.

Buck 110 with the s30v steel

If you go on Cabelas the Alaskan Guide Series Buck knives are the higher end steel and has cerakote on them and rosewood handles so there's that eye candy factor. The 110 at Cabelas is the same price as the buck website without the cerakote.

If you are a Veteran then you get the discount for your service at both shops so be sure to sign up.

One last thing - I bought the Cabelas Alaska Guide Buck 119 with my Veteran's discount, added the Cabelas card for another $20 off so I recieved a high end 119 for pretty cheap after it was all said an done - cheaper than my discount on the buck website. That info is for other Veteran's here if they want any of these knives.

Happy collecting!

DONT ADMIT IT!!!! ;) hahaha

You need to get a Bark River! I agree with what is being said - like I said I love Sheep Horn so other then a custom knife I'm getting from a maker with square pins I plan to only buy Sheep Horn knives for myself in the future. Otherwise I have 3-4 knives I've bought and sold because I want to replace them with Sheep Horn in the future. I've found I also really prefer knives with a finger guard/quillion.

I had up to about 45 knives and am back down to 20 (but I have a custom knife being finished this weekend)

For a good field knife you want something with a decent blade height and spine thickness.
Sheephorn! You know I have been looking at a cheap knife that is good looking - the Marbles Hunter with the horn and bone handles. That is nowhere near the quality of the other knives I own but that look on a knife just grabs me. I am resisting though...but its hard. I might have to pick one up for a casual user...but i also know I should wait and get a custom.

Yes - I do need a bark river...and a few more Falknivens....and I am getting a few of the Mora blanks so i can put antler/horn handles on a Mora.

The Lapp knives alone are a journey - those are addictive.

It's endless...but very fun!

OP
jnawalaniec
I went from looking for a do it all knife to collector once I started doing my research. There are a lot of beautiful pieces out there. The itch for more isn’t as strong now as it was a few months ago, thank god. Used a LT Wright SNH and a Dawson forester on my buddy’s elk this year and both were awesome.

Attachments

• E6349C92-23CB-46E9-8340-0BE5B746CE94.jpeg
    E6349C92-23CB-46E9-8340-0BE5B746CE94.jpeg
    718.6 KB · Views: 56
  • FC851A7F-5373-4800-917F-EDC133A7556E.jpeg
    FC851A7F-5373-4800-917F-EDC133A7556E.jpeg
    499.4 KB · Views: 56
  • B78265A4-FDA4-4BD8-A6CF-3E06C69464DC.jpeg
    B78265A4-FDA4-4BD8-A6CF-3E06C69464DC.jpeg
    773.8 KB · Views: 58
I went from looking for a do it all knife to collector once I started doing my research. There are a lot of beautiful pieces out there. The itch for more isn’t as strong now as it was a few months ago, thank god. Used a LT Wright SNH and a Dawson forester on my buddy’s elk this year and both were awesome.
The other thing too is knives are tools with jobs. Alot of old guys carried 2-3 blades. Guys like Kephart - he had a small slipjoint, a hunting knife and a hatchet. Nessmuk same thing. The old mountain and outdoor experts carried blades to do different jobs. Their hunting knife was thin and razer sharp - not used for chopping or whittling. It was a hunting tool - maybe some meal breakdown. Anything else was cut with the slipjoint and many had 2 blades for multiple jobs. THen a hatchet for any chopping - bones, wood, fire, house, etc.

Batoning wood for fires is a very recent development in the knife world - talking to a Manufacturer who has worked in the field for a long time he said it is still strange to him as its really only been the last 10 years where people are wanting thick knives that can withstand these crazy stresses. That is part of why I carry a couple knives in the field - dedicated field knife, utility knife and then if I'm somewhere where I need a chopper a big knife or a axe/hatchet.

In an emergency I would use my hunting knife to do whatever I needed to survive, including batoning wood but I just know that it isn't an axe.

OP
jnawalaniec
Posting what happens if you allow this hobby to grab hold of you - be cautious op :)
It’s too late for me. Not pictured: Dawson Forester, Uinta Hunter V2, and BRK Mini Tundra that’s on the way 😅😅

Attachments

• 9A5CEADA-FFA3-4D1C-A84B-39D3A03DAC5F.jpeg
    9A5CEADA-FFA3-4D1C-A84B-39D3A03DAC5F.jpeg
    335.9 KB · Views: 43
  • AD5102E0-DC3A-4710-8692-C01BE6EAE61E.jpeg
    AD5102E0-DC3A-4710-8692-C01BE6EAE61E.jpeg
    399.8 KB · Views: 44

aaron600rr

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit of a knife expert. I've been making leather sheaths for custom made knives for years and I've owned a ton of customs myself. @onetreeleather on Instagram. I always carry a good fixed blade knife on me. Out of all the custom makers I've delt with/made sheaths for the very best is JD_Custom_knives on Instagram. His heat treat is spot on, turn around time, warranty work etc... I can't say enough about the guy.

I've also recently collaborated with @thescrawnylumberjack on Instagram on my own custom hunting knife. I call it the "Alpine Hunter". Give him a shout out on Instagram if your interested in one and tell him Aaron sent ya. I make 0 $ on this btw

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221120-161200_Gallery-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20221120-161200_Gallery-01.jpeg
    440.2 KB · Views: 39
Last edited:
OP
jnawalaniec
I'm a bit of a knife expert. I've been making leather sheaths for custom made knives for years and I've owned a ton of customs myself. @onetreeleather on Instagram. I always carry a good fixed blade knife on me. Out of all the custom makers I've delt with/made sheaths for the very best is JD_Custom_knives on Instagram. His heat treat is spot on, turn around time, warranty work etc... I can't say enough about the guy.

I've also recently collaborated with @thescrawnylumberjack on Instagram on my own custom hunting knife. I call it the "Alpine Hunter". Give him a shout out on Instagram if your interested in one and tell him Aaron sent ya. I make 0 $ on this btw
sounds like something a guy who makes money on it would say 😉