Survival/General purpose knife

How many of you carry a general purpose/survival knife with you when going in the mountains? Something that can be used for fire building tasks (split/feather wood) along with other general cutting tasks and possibly used to process game as well if needed. Most of the posts on here talk about small skinning knives, recently picked up a TOPS BOB, it’s much bigger/heavier than I imagined it would be. Do you think it’s worth carrying an almost 1lb knife?

Open to suggestions/opinions

Attachments

• FCC527E7-ECE4-4F0B-A22D-B567E6195894.jpeg
    FCC527E7-ECE4-4F0B-A22D-B567E6195894.jpeg
    220.7 KB · Views: 111

bsnedeker

WKR
Depends what I'm going for. Not when I'm hunting. When I'm just going camping I like to take my big kabar with me for making fires and whatnot.

Sent from my SM-G998U1 using Tapatalk

fmyth

WKR
I carry a Mora Knife and a small folding saw in my survival kit. I have used the Mora to skin a couple elk.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 4.01.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 4.01.41 PM.png
    189.4 KB · Views: 87
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 4.04.32 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-16 at 4.04.32 PM.png
    70.7 KB · Views: 88

Southern Lights

Lil-Rokslider
Swiss army knife w/folding saw/pliers and Benchmade Griptilian if I think I'll be into a lot of animals.

If I want a fixed blade then a Fallkniven F1 (with Swiss army as backup knife). A Bahco laplander folding saw (6.5ozs) and Fallkniven F1 (7 ozs) will do just about anything you'd need for not a lot of weight.

OP
jnawalaniec
I don’t pack one anymore but when I did the Benchmade 158 CSK II was my go to. Cheap, USA made, and nothing fancy. I would look at the benchmade Leuku as well. Personal preference, but I would not use a bushcraft/survival knife for game processing if better options are on hand.
View attachment 401945
Agreed, I have a different knife for processing. I was meaning more game processing in a pinch if needed, with the primary purpose being general use and something good for a “oh shit I need i’m lost/not making it out, and need to make a fire, etc.”

Werty

WKR
Bahco lap knife saw combo never leaves my pack, lightweight. I carry it weather Im 1/2 mile on foot or 5 miles on horseback.

HbDane

WKR
I took a hard look at the Esee PR4 which is a nessmuk style
Nice. I had one made by KN Knives (Kyle Noseworthy) in Newfoundland, it's his take on a Nessmuk. And another made by PL Knives (Paul Lackey) both are incredible bkadesmiths. I feel the one made by Paul is more traditional but I love them both. 1127201636a.jpg0115211218.jpg

How many of you carry a general purpose/survival knife with you when going in the mountains? Something that can be used for fire building tasks (split/feather wood) along with other general cutting tasks and possibly used to process game as well if needed. Most of the posts on here talk about small skinning knives, recently picked up a TOPS BOB, it’s much bigger/heavier than I imagined it would be. Do you think it’s worth carrying an almost 1lb knife?

Open to suggestions/opinions
I used to carry that exact same knife. Great sturdy knife that does a fantastic job of processing game. I’ve done some not super nice things to it and it wasn’t phased (pounding through a muley brisket etc). I also did lots of bushcrafty stuff with it. That being said, I sold it in the classifieds and went with a much lighter knife. My BM Altitude feathers sticks just fine and my hands and boots break up firewood great. If I really needed fire right now I doubt I’d be sitting around battining sticks. If there was an emergency situation I would be more focused on getting myself to a road than making a really cool shelter or weaving a basket. If I were going to go out with the intent of doing bushcraft type stuff I’d carry something similar to that knife.

Last edited:
I carry a Leatherman Supertool. With the saw blade, regular knife blade and serrated blade I've always felt like it covered everything. Plus it has all the other tools as well. So I really don't carry a big fixed blade much. Just that on my belt, my regular Case pocketknife in my pocket for general cutting tasks, and a Havalon in my pack for skinning.

semasko

FNG
The Mora Companion is always in one of my packs wherever I go in the woods. For ~$15 I think its the best knife for the price and nothing comes close. I've processed multiple deer and firewood with it and retains an edge for a long time. I have other more expensive knives, a Blind Horse and a Jeff White - they're great but much heavier and require more maintenance.