Suppressor wait times

WCB

WKR
Applied for another one a week ago. Accidentally checked the box yes on the question “Have you ever been dishonorably discharged from the military?” Myself and the LGS reviewed the application and neither of us caught it before we sent it off.
That's not good. Funny thing I thought of was...am I lying when I check the box "Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?"...because I'm actually not buying a firearm but I'm buying a suppressor.

RocketRob16

Lil-Rokslider
That's not good. Funny thing I thought of was...am I lying when I check the box "Are you the actual transferee/buyer of the firearm(s) listed on this form?"...because I'm actually not buying a firearm but I'm buying a suppressor.
Yeah we’ll see what happens. I tried to call the NFA division and they said they couldn’t help. I’m not sure if it will affect anything when I re-submit in a week.

Gadjet

Lil-Rokslider
The silencer companies don’t want these things to be easy to get. If there were no hurdles, the prices would drop and more companies would start making them as everybody started buying them. In countries where these are legal, they cost 25% of what they cost in the USA. If you think the manufacturers want these to be legal and to make less money, you’re dreaming.
Good points!

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
So what are the pros / cons to trust filling vs individual other than the way times?

Bluefish

WKR
So what are the pros / cons to trust filling vs individual other than the way times?
With an individual you are the only one who can possess the can. With a trust, other trustees can have a can in their possession without you being there.

If you have a family and an individual nfa item, no one else can have access to where it is stored. A trust can get around this if the other family members are listed as responsible persons or trustees.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
I filed trust but I’m the only one on it. No one in my family really cares that much and couldn’t get them to sign anything - logistics.

Is it still better to file via trust ?

Bluefish

WKR
I filed trust but I’m the only one on it. No one in my family really cares that much and couldn’t get them to sign anything - logistics.

Probably better to file as individual due to approval times. Transfer to heirs is similar for both, form 5.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider

The ability to add/remove trustees w/o background check or fingerprints is the biggest benefit to me. Just a trip to a notary with trust amendment paperwork.

WCB

WKR

Individual you will more than likely get it faster. I did a trust because my wife hunts and can use it on one of her rifles. The other reason is if I simply send her home with my rifle or she meets me somewhere to get my my rifle with the suppressor it would be illegal because she would be in possession of it. Also, she has access to all our safes. I'm not buying another safe or not allowing her access because the government are morons.

JAC8504

Lil-Rokslider
The ability to add/remove trustees w/o background check or fingerprints is the biggest benefit to me. Just a trip to a notary with trust amendment paperwork.
I was told the people on the trust had to do a background check and fingerprints? My brother was originally on the trust and I had to take him off bc I couldn’t get him to go to a kiosk and get fingerprints. (He doesn’t have a interest in gun stuff)

atmat

WKR
I was told the people on the trust had to do a background check and fingerprints? My brother was originally on the trust and I had to take him off bc I couldn’t get him to go to a kiosk and get fingerprints. (He doesn’t have a interest in gun stuff)
Trustees have to get background check and fingerprints at time of apppication for a suppressor.

However, lots of people apply as an individual trust, then add trustees after they get their suppressor. In this case, no background check or finger prints are required.

Gorp2007

WKR
Trustees have to get background check and fingerprints at time of apppication for a suppressor.

However, lots of people apply as an individual trust, then add trustees after they get their suppressor. In this case, no background check or finger prints are required.

My understanding is that if you apply for another NFA item to add to the trust, then all of those new members will still need to go through the photo, fingerprint, background check process for the new approval.

maxx075

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is that if you apply for another NFA item to add to the trust, then all of those new members will still need to go through the photo, fingerprint, background check process for the new approval.
This is correct. However, you could use to apply as an individual trust and add trustees without issue or background checks like mentioned above. However they have since changed it and anyone listed as a trustee/responsible person will now have to do fingerprints/background check just like the person applying for the stamp.

wesfromky

WKR
This is correct. However, you could use to apply as an individual trust and add trustees without issue or background checks like mentioned above. However they have since changed it and anyone listed as a trustee/responsible person will now have to do fingerprints/background check just like the person applying for the stamp.
If you use a single shot trust, you can add additional RP without them doing a background check. If you use a traditional trust, you can add additional RP, but you will have to submit their info/prints/etc when you wish to add another NFA item to the trust.

Two more data points:

I filed a form 4 on January 8 with a trust - Approved May 22

I also filed a form 4 on May 20th as an individual - Approved May 23.

It’s been a good week! 2 suppressors and a RokStok!

atmat

WKR
When did this get changed and how could it be enforced?

Your trust is an independent entity. They have no idea that you’ve added people as trustees after already owning your suppressor.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
When did this get changed and how could it be enforced?

Your trust is an independent entity. They have no idea that you’ve added people as trustees after already owning your suppressor.
My understanding is that they only need fingerprint and background check if they are listed on trust when applying. Changes made after approval do not need them. It works best with a Single Shot trust. A traditional trust you would have to remove them before each additional item and re-add them again after the new approval.