Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive

I own 1 Tikka CTRs and 1 Tikka UPR 20” barrels (308 and 6.5 Creedmoor) and for hunting rifles, they are great in their stock configuration. For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears.

So I’m actually going to say, I’ll keep the can for now but I see it more useful at extended range sessions vs hunting.

For a pure hunting rifle, I don’t see the tremendous value that others find with a can.
I have been saying this for a while. I would just add that even with a suppressor it can be loud enough to cause hearing damage, so if you still need to wear ear pro, for hunting they dont make sense.

1. Talking your wife or a young hunter through their shot sequence (or anybody for that matter)

2. Not having to worry about ear pro.

3. Shooting an elk out of a heard of 60 bedded elk and they all just stay bedded.

4. Airball your first shot with allowance for a follow up shot.

5. Flinch (for me at least) at least partially stems from a giant kaboom and does not exist with a suppressed weapon

6. Recoil reduction.

and on. and on. and on....

But hey, less people in line with the ATF means my stamps get approved sooner.
all of this.
most of my friends have joined the bandwagon after hunting with me. i'd shoot my animal and the herd would still be there for them to harvest theirs. and then the herd would scatter to the wind when their 300WM went off.

my elk this year started off with a poor shot. it just bedded down in front of me because it didn't know where to go. it ended up going in my freezer.

I have been saying this for a while. I would just add that even with a suppressor it can be loud enough to cause hearing damage, so if you still need to wear ear pro, for hunting they dont make sense.
Unless your suppressor is garbage that is not correct. You want it comfortably under 140db at shooters' ear. Using a TBAC Ultra-7 because it's an example of a solid suppressor that longer ones can outperform but that people use hunting a fair bit, it meters at about 127-129 db at shooters' ear for .308 loads. That's well under the threshold for immediate hearing damage. I wouldn't shoot more than 4-5 rounds at most with it since sustained exposure is a bad thing but it's perfectly fine for a couple shots hunting. And there are many suppressors that (due to additional length/diameter) outperform that.

Wasn't the OP also the guy that was on snipers hide making fun of rokslide and the 223 thread while calling us dumb?

Close, LR hunter.

Coffee kicked in and I was like, wait, I made a meme with a car.....

Polish_20230928_083042915.jpg

Unless your suppressor is garbage that is not correct. You want it comfortably under 140db at shooters' ear. Using a TBAC Ultra-7 because it's an example of a solid suppressor that longer ones can outperform but that people use hunting a fair bit, it meters at about 127-129 db at shooters' ear for .308 loads. That's well under the threshold for immediate hearing damage. I wouldn't shoot more than 4-5 rounds at most with it since sustained exposure is a bad thing but it's perfectly fine for a couple shots hunting. And there are many suppressors that (due to additional length/diameter) outperform that.
The guy you responded to chimes in with those statements in a lot of suppressor threads, despite people showing him evidence that good suppressors bring down the decibels to a safe level for 1-2 shots without hearing protection. It’s not worth the argument.

The OP has had some strange opinions here and in other forums over the years, and chose a username based off a man who committed treason. So take it all with a grain of salt.

I’m with the OP, hunted with cans for a few years and it didn’t make any difference other than I carried more weight and still killed the same game one and done.

I much prefer just running a brake as the rifle is shorter and better balanced and recoil reduction is better. I save the cans for the range but for serious hunting it’s entirely unnecessary.
I'd rather move to San Francisco than be required to shoot with a brake

I hunt very thick, briar infested Alabama creek bottoms. It saves a lot of blood to be able to hear where the deer crashes after the shot. It’s no fun to follow a blood trail through 40 yards of briar entanglement to find out it circled back to within 20 feet of where it was shot. If I couldn’t have heard where it fell I may not have found it.

It's a tradeoff for sure.

Who DOESN'T want shooting to be more quiet in general? I completely get that. My hearing tests fine,...but I'll bet it would test better had I shot suppressed my whole life. Then again I could have saved myself two knee replacements if I hadn't hunted the wilds of Idaho for 35 years and just did yoga. A guy can go a long way down that rabbit hole. I don't want to even think about all the funds I could have saved sans hunting in my life...but where is the fun in any of that.

The advantage of "not spooking" game seems to be the most often stated advantage...but it's largely wasted on me. I don't care what the remaining survivors do, as I'm rarely interested in filling two tags at the same time. If your hunting scenarios are otherwise,...I can certainly see the appeal of this part.

The things I don't like are cost, weight, and additional length required of the rifle. Yes, I can cut a barrel down but then I'm giving up some degree of performance...ie tradeoffs.

I have my 21" 6 Creed barrel threaded for one as I don't see any downside to having a rifle suppressor-ready...but just can't convince myself the pros outweigh the cons at this juncture in my life. I reserve the right to change my mind at a different juncture.

YMMV

Dave

I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive

I own 1 Tikka CTRs and 1 Tikka UPR 20” barrels (308 and 6.5 Creedmoor) and for hunting rifles, they are great in their stock configuration. For hunting, where there is only 1-2 shots max on a trip, a short rifle with no can or brake is light and not bad on the ears.

So I’m actually going to say, I’ll keep the can for now but I see it more useful at extended range sessions vs hunting.

For a pure hunting rifle, I don’t see the tremendous value that others find with a can.
WHAT? I CANT HEAR YOU.

I think the suppressor is one of the best things to happen to me. It sure makes it nice for shooting. Especially hunting. No loud blasts.

Yea the downside is weight and length. But the sound suppression and reduction in blasts overrides the Downsides

122l0k.jpg

The weight/balance isn’t a problem for me since I carry the suppressor in my backpack until it’s time to shoot then install it on the muzzle brake. Haven’t noticed any poi shifts while hunting.

I would be fine using a small titanium can, but for the cost someone could get a full custom 1/4 moa barrel. If they had a good barrel, it would buy a good used practice rifle and enough reloading components for 1,000 rounds.

I see it as trendy.

Last edited:
I would be fine using a small titanium can, but for the cost someone could get a full custom 1/4 moa barrel. If they had a good barrel, it would buy a good used practice rifle and enough reloading components for 1,000 rounds.
But boy oh boy would you enjoy shooting that barrel or those rounds more with a can....

Back