Suppressor Opinion: Meh, It’s Ok

I would be fine using a small titanium can, but for the cost someone could get a full custom 1/4 moa barrel
That always sounds nice but why do you need to improve let's say a 3/4 MOA barrel to a 1/4 MOA barrel? I have a couple full custom barrels and I'm here to say, pick the suppressor every time.

I’m about to explode some heads when I say after owning a suppressor since October and hunting with it, it’s kinda cool but has its drawbacks on a hunting rifle.

1) adds weight to the muzzle and changes the balance of the rifle.

2) adds length to the rifle and can make it not as maneuverable/compact

3) reduces blast and some recoil but on a light kicker like 6.5 Creedmoor, it wasn’t bad to begin with.

4) Expensive
Congratulations on listing the attributes of a suppressor. Now, why would that blow anyone's mind?

TaperPin

WKR
That always sounds nice but why do you need to improve let's say a 3/4 MOA barrel to a 1/4 MOA barrel? I have a couple full custom barrels and I'm here to say, pick the suppressor every time.
The argument always starts with the can allows you shoot better - my argument with that comment is the fastest way to shoot better is get better equipment and practice.

I’m more than a little confused with long range shooters cutting 4” or more off a barrel, reducing velocity and increasing wind drift, when wind drift is the hardest to pin down.

I’m also confused with mountain hunters adding that much weight to a gun.

The argument always starts with the can allows you shoot better - my argument with that comment is the fastest way to shoot better is get better equipment and practice.
It allows you to shoot better IF you flinch from concussion/recoil which it reduces. It doesn't do anything that mechanically makes your rifle more precise. So comparing it to mechanical precision improvements is odd. Also it allows you to take a quick shot without worrying about getting earpro in if that matters to you.

I’m more than a little confused with long range shooters cutting 4” or more off a barrel, reducing velocity and increasing wind drift, when wind drift is the hardest to pin down.
You don't lose as much velocity as you'd think for most cartridges by cutting a barrel by 4" let's say. One of my 6.5CM barrels is a 16.5" and I get 2600 fps MV for 143gr ELD-X rounds in factory ammunition, as an extreme example.

I’m also confused with mountain hunters adding that much weight to a gun.
Again if they're willing to cut their barrel they're not adding the total weight of the suppressor. I can't comment on the mindset of ounce-counting long distance backpack hunters though.

ORJoe

Lil-Rokslider
Reducing recoil to spot your own shot can be worth the trade-off.

I’m enjoying the bashing and the folks talking about General Lee and treason.

Some of y’all sound vaccinated. Everything ok?

Since we've taken this turn, i've been baffled for a while... So over half a million Americans died because the south felt it worth the price to own slaves. Why would one want to identify with the leader of the military fighting for such a thing?

Since we've taken this turn, i've been baffled for a while... So over half a million Americans died because the south felt it worth the price to own slaves. Why would one want to identify with the leader of the military fighting for such a thing?
The irony being Robert E. Lee opposed confederate monuments and the lionizing of himself/the confederacy.

OP
General RE LEE

1) That is a very simplistic view of the complex issues leading up to the war.

2) Millions of Americans, many in the South, have great grandfathers that fought for the Confederacy. There is a different perspective of the war and those who fought than those who have no connection to it.

3) The only people today that condone slavery are skin heads that live in their parents basement.

atmat

WKR
1) That is a very simplistic view of the complex issues leading up to the war.
“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science.” - Alexander Hamilton Stephens, VP of Confederate States

It was always about racism and slavery. Read a book.

OP
General RE LEE
The irony being Robert E. Lee opposed confederate monuments and the lionizing of himself/the confederacy.

PBS? Really? Maybe you should find a Huffington Post article while you’re at it.

OP
General RE LEE
“Our new government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth. This truth has been slow in the process of its development, like all other truths in the various departments of science.” - Alexander Hamilton Stephens, VP of Confederate States

It was always about racism and slavery. Read a book.

History major here. You do realize these views were wide spread throughout the Western World at the time. You think only Southerners in the mid 19th century held these view points?

Read a book.

TaperPin

WKR
It allows you to shoot better IF you flinch from concussion/recoil which it reduces. It doesn't do anything that mechanically makes your rifle more precise. So comparing it to mechanical precision improvements is odd. Also it allows you to take a quick shot without worrying about getting earpro in if that matters to you.

You don't lose as much velocity as you'd think for most cartridges by cutting a barrel by 4" let's say. One of my 6.5CM barrels is a 16.5" and I get 2600 fps MV for 143gr ELD-X rounds in factory ammunition, as an extreme example.

Again if they're willing to cut their barrel they're not adding the total weight of the suppressor. I can't comment on the mindset of ounce-counting long distance backpack hunters though.
If a can just seems cool to someone I think it’s great - heck, I’ll drive them to the gun store to pick it out - however, when the rubber hits the road and the rifle gets carried up the mountain and hopefully the animal you’re after comes home, the net benefit of the suppressor just isn’t there for me.

History major here. You do realize these views were wide spread throughout the Western World at the time. You think only Southerners in the mid 19th century held these view points?

Read a book.

Of course the south wasn't alone in white supremacy and desire to enslave blacks. Yet in the war, someone was fighting against those beliefs and someone was fighting for them.. You choose to identify with the leaders fighting for them.

PBS? Really? Maybe you should find a Huffington Post article while you’re at it.
You'll find that some of the statements in the article have words highlighted in red. And when you click those words it takes you to non-PBS webpages. And on those webpages are records of letters and correspondence that he wrote, including some which are hosted on the website created by his own family to record them. But hey you're the history major here.

OP
General RE LEE
Of course the south wasn't alone in white supremacy and desire to enslave blacks. Yet in the war, someone was fighting against those beliefs and someone was fighting for them.. You choose to identify with the leaders fighting for them.

You think white Union soldiers were charging Confederate fortifications because they wanted to free blacks?

The Civil War is complex and slavery and its expansion in new states was part of the problem, but there were deep rooted political and cultural divisions between the two sides beyond slavery.

The fallacy is judging our ancestors with today’s standards. To me, that’s one of the hallmarks of being “woke”.