Suggestions on tents

Drenalin

WKR
Oh no! I won’t buy black rifle coffee for the owners mouth. Now I’m curious what he said. Eh if I don’t find out, it can’t bother me. I’ll just be over here with my head in the sand for that one. Plus this is the only social media I have since 2017. Seeing and reading the same garbage from the same garbage people. Also why I don’t watch any news channels.
This link will get you up to speed as far as that goes. However, if you've got a gift card already, the money is spent and you should proceed with whatever you choose from their line. They do make some great stuff.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
This link will get you up to speed as far as that goes. However, if you've got a gift card already, the money is spent and you should proceed with whatever you choose from their line. They do make some great stuff.
Thank you for sending that. I would have went with the argali if I knew this, however I’m committed now.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Does anyone have a recommendation for an ultralight but effective means footprint for my sleeping pad?

Drenalin

WKR
Thin painter’s plastic from Walmart is light, cheap, and effective for moisture. Offers no protection from anything sharp under your pad and will have to be replaced somewhat regularly.

After that, the weight jumps, and I think Tyvek is as good as anything.

ndayton

WKR
Does anyone have a recommendation for an ultralight but effective means footprint for my sleeping pad?
I use the cimarron and a bug bivy. The reason I use a bug bivy is this provides protection for my sleeping pad, keeps the creepy crawlies out, super lightweight and keeps my sleeping stuff together.

Also you can sleep anywhere with a bivy as no additional stakes or setup is needed, and if you are lazy like me, I often just use my bug bivy without the tent (weather permitting).

Borah gear makes a great lightweight bug bivy.
https://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html

My sleep setup is on the right

IMG_8830.JPG

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I use the cimarron and a bug bivy. The reason I use a bug bivy is this provides protection for my sleeping pad, keeps the creepy crawlies out, super lightweight and keeps my sleeping stuff together.

Also you can sleep anywhere with a bivy as no additional stakes or setup is needed, and if you are lazy like me, I often just use my bug bivy without the tent (weather permitting).

Borah gear makes a great lightweight bug bivy.
https://borahgear.com/bugbivy.html

My sleep setup is on the right

View attachment 531021
😳 those only weigh 5oz? The half nest is 26oz. That is impressive. Even if I get two of those, it would be less weight and less money than the half nest. Seems too good to be true

JD Jones

WKR
When I was using a cimmaron I used a borah. I had the nest and just preferred the borah if bugs were an issue. To me it was more versatile than the nest. Still have the borah. Don’t own any SO any longer

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
When I was using a cimmaron I used a borah. I had the nest and just preferred the borah if bugs were an issue. To me it was more versatile than the nest. Still have the borah. Don’t own any SO any longer
No one will give me the negatives of a tipi. Did you move away from SO because of politics or because you went with a different system? If the latter, how come?

JD Jones

WKR
No one will give me the negatives of a tipi. Did you move away from SO because of politics or because you went with a different system? If the latter, how come?
While I don’t align with SO preferences in politics (or politics in general) that was not my reason.

I found that the floor less design was just not my cup of tea. I wanted a shelter that didn’t require stakes in the event the ground I was on didn’t support. In some places I go stakes won’t work. (I understand that there are other ways to anchor the tipi) I also didn’t like the condensation I was getting in some instances. I didn’t like that when it rained I had to deal with muddy gear going into stuff sacks and my pack. A lot of this is nit picky but I found that by the time I was adding up the drawbacks, there were better options for me. I do miss the stove aspect but I am working out an option that satisfies that for late season hunts

JD Jones

WKR
To specify what I landed on for at least some of the hunting season… Kuiu mountain Star. No regrets. The wind abuse this tent can endure is impressive

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
To specify what I landed on for at least some of the hunting season… Kuiu mountain Star. No regrets. The wind abuse this tent can endure is impressive
Thank you, this has been a concern of mine, and the reason I made this thread. I may pick up the kuiu as a side tent. The rain has been my biggest deterrent for a floorless design. I guess I will experience it for myself. I find myself hating the rain when I am staying in any tent and have to pack it up.
When you had it, did the water just flow under the wall? Did you have to trench around it?

JD Jones

WKR
Thank you, this has been a concern of mine, and the reason I made this thread. I may pick up the kuiu as a side tent. The rain has been my biggest deterrent for a floorless design. I guess I will experience it for myself. I find myself hating the rain when I am staying in any tent and have to pack it up.
When you had it, did the water just flow under the wall? Did you have to trench around it?
Long response alert 🚨:

My experience was rain did come in on me on 2 separate trips. It could be mitigated in certain terrain/camp location selection but you have to keep in mind the footprint this tent takes up is more than a free standing 2p. Therefore campsite location can become a factor as well. I’m not going to blame the floor less shelters for this but you need to consider it is all I’m saying. A trough might be a good mitigation but that sounds like more work lol. Base camping I could see that but then I would be selecting a better location in the first place. I will tell you this though wind was a bigger factor. I know folks will tell you the tipi is strong in wind and no doubt it is ok but I had 1 failure and other times where I was very uncertain. Also down south there’s a lot of dust. That open bottom mixed with wind and dust equals poor sleep for me. I don’t get that nearly as bad with a free standing double walled nested style tent and I definitely never have gravel hitting me in the face at 3am. Also I use my tents year round backpacking so versatility is more important to my needs. The Kuiu (or any other strong free standing light tent) is the ticket for me.

For cold weather my path is headed towards a canvas/wood stove set up.

S.Clancy

WKR
If I were you I would get a Cimarron setup and a Slingfin Portal or Hotbox and call it good. You could always get a tarp for really light use as well. You need about 2-3 setups to cover almost everything.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Long response alert 🚨:

My experience was rain did come in on me on 2 separate trips. It could be mitigated in certain terrain/camp location selection but you have to keep in mind the footprint this tent takes up is more than a free standing 2p. Therefore campsite location can become a factor as well. I’m not going to blame the floor less shelters for this but you need to consider it is all I’m saying. A trough might be a good mitigation but that sounds like more work lol. Base camping I could see that but then I would be selecting a better location in the first place. I will tell you this though wind was a bigger factor. I know folks will tell you the tipi is strong in wind and no doubt it is ok but I had 1 failure and other times where I was very uncertain. Also down south there’s a lot of dust. That open bottom mixed with wind and dust equals poor sleep for me. I don’t get that nearly as bad with a free standing double walled nested style tent and I definitely never have gravel hitting me in the face at 3am. Also I use my tents year round backpacking so versatility is more important to my needs. The Kuiu (or any other strong free standing light tent) is the ticket for me.

For cold weather my path is headed towards a canvas/wood stove set up.
Thank you for the reply. I like hearing everyones experiences, good and bad so I can learn and take steps to mitigate the same issues for myself. Sounds like I will have to test it for my needs in the places/seasons I go. I just need to prevent catastrophic failures in the meantime.

CORam

FNG
I didn't read the entire thread, and it sounds like you may have already come up with a plan, but I will share my experience in case it helps. About a year ago I went through almost the same exact "circular" thoughts about tents that you did and became paralyzed. I ultimately landed on a tipi tent with a stove. Then I changed my mind and canceled my order. Then I landed on a Hilleberg Nallo 3. I got to use it on my solo backpack hunt in October at 10k+ feet where it snowed and/or rained on me almost the entire time. It far exceeded my expectations. I love the tent. I got the best night's sleep I have ever gotten while camping. If I had your budget I would get two Hilleberg tents - probably a Nallo 2 (for solo hunting) (or maybe a Nallo 3) and a Nallo 4 GT (for hunts with others).

That being said, I know plenty of people love their tipi hot tents.

Good luck!

Last edited:
OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I didn't read the entire thread, and it sounds like you may have already come up with a plan, but I will share my experience in case it helps. About a year ago I went through almost the same exact "circular" thoughts about tents that you did and became paralyzed. I ultimately landed on a tipi tent with a stove. Then I changed my mind and canceled my order. Then I landed on a Hilleberg Nallo 3. I got to use it on my solo backpack hunt in October at 10k+ feet where it snowed and/or rained on me almost the entire time. It far exceeded my expectations. I love the tent. I got the best night's sleep I have ever gotten while camping. If I had your budget I would get two Hilleberg tents - probably a Nallo 2 (for solo hunting) (or maybe a Nallo 3) and a Nallo 4 GT (for hunts with others).

That being said, I know plenty of people love their tipi hot tents.

Good luck!
Thank you for the reply! If the tipi ends up not working for me, I would be torn between the kuiu and a hille based on the feedback from everyone.

I’m curious if you or anyone else has used the kuiu and the nallo and can explain notable differences besides the obvious 3 vs 2 person and the weight. More specifically, the durability.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Warlord