Suggestions on tents

JD Jones

WKR
I’m curious if you or anyone else has used the kuiu and the nallo and can explain notable differences besides the obvious 3 vs 2 person and the weight. More specifically, the durability.
I’ve used both. Nallo gt is front entry, 1 vestibule and not freestanding. I’d argue a little harder to pitch and definitely a larger footprint. Of note my buddy broke a tent pole and had to use the repair kit in field. Baddass tent regardless

Kuiu lighter, freestanding, not a good 2p imo, has two vestibules though. Smaller footprint. Convinced it would weather any storm the nallo will

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I’ve used both. Nallo gt is front entry, 1 vestibule and not freestanding. I’d argue a little harder to pitch and definitely a larger footprint. Of note my buddy broke a tent pole and had to use the repair kit in field. Baddass tent regardless

Kuiu lighter, freestanding, not a good 2p imo, has two vestibules though. Smaller footprint. Convinced it would weather any storm the nallo will
Thank you. That’s two guys that are all for the kuiu. It doesn’t hurt that I already use all their clothing. Being a “2 person” does take me back around in my circle to hunt for my prefect tent. I don’t think it exists yet. If I go with the bolah nets, maybe I can just run a bigger and plain tarp for multiple people to stay under during summer trips. There are so many great options out there. I appreciate everyone’s responses and shared experience with different setups.

6.5x284

WKR
I don’t think the perfect tent exists!

I’ve tried the Stone Glacier SkyScraper 2P, Durston X-Mid Pro 2P, TT Stratospire Li, TT Notch Li, and Seek Tipis.

Currently I have a Seek DCF Cimarron for hot tent setups, a KUIU Mountain Star as my more severe weather setup when I need free standing, and a GG The One for my scouting and summer tent.

Honestly all did their job and kept me out of the elements and all have something I’d like to change. Wanting a 3P definitely makes your search harder. A tipi or Nallo 3 or 4 are what I’d look hard at if it had to be 3P.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I don’t think the perfect tent exists!

I’ve tried the Stone Glacier SkyScraper 2P, Durston X-Mid Pro 2P, TT Stratospire Li, TT Notch Li, and Seek Tipis.

Currently I have a Seek DCF Cimarron for hot tent setups, a KUIU Mountain Star as my more severe weather setup when I need free standing, and a GG The One for my scouting and summer tent.

Honestly all did their job and kept me out of the elements and all have something I’d like to change. Wanting a 3P definitely makes your search harder. A tipi or Nallo 3 or 4 are what I’d look hard at if it had to be 3P.
The only reason I am looking at 3p is because most “2 person tents” are not made for 2 full sized men and their gear.

JD Jones

WKR
Remember this: not all people sleep quietly lol. I don’t tent share well because I can’t stand a snoring hunt partner lol

CORam

FNG
Thank you for the reply! If the tipi ends up not working for me, I would be torn between the kuiu and a hille based on the feedback from everyone.

I’m curious if you or anyone else has used the kuiu and the nallo and can explain notable differences besides the obvious 3 vs 2 person and the weight. More specifically, the durability.
You bet! It sounds like all of those are good options. Unfortunately I do not have experience with any Kuiu tents. But I too love their clothing. As for durability, I believe Hilleberg developed and uses some of the strongest materials in the industry. They include a fabric sample with your tent for you to compare several materials (including Hilleberg materials and non-Hilleberg common ripstop materials), and to do a tear test on them. I haven't actually done it, but supposedly their material is crazy strong.

I've used various other random tents (not Kuiu) that have all been freestanding. Then I got this Hilleberg (not freestanding) and I have no issues with a non-freestanding tent. I'm not sure I understand the draw to a freestanding tent. It seems to make no difference to me one way or the other. Maybe I'm missing something.

The only reason I am looking at 3p is because most “2 person tents” are not made for 2 full sized men and their gear.
That is for sure. My Hilleberg is a 3p and it seems like the perfect size for just me and my gear. I could fit one other person in there that I don't mind getting cozy with, but that is it. Seems like all tents are "over-rated" in their capacity, which is why I chose a 3p tent for just me or me and one family member.

Remember this: not all people sleep quietly lol. I don’t tent share well because I can’t stand a snoring hunt partner lol
I don't share tents either, for the same reason. Only with my family.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Get multiple setups. I really like floorless. For 2k, you can do both. Get on SO Guardian or Cimmaron to try out a floorless, get a stove jack, but save the money on a stove at the moment. Then get a floored 4 season tent that is a little heavier than your listed weight.

Personally, I have a DCF Silex, DCF Cimmaron, and a Redcliff. They each fill different roles. If I could only have one, it would be the Cimmaron in DCF or the lite version. It is light enough for a solo shelter, big enough to be comfortable with two adults and a lot of gear, and I could fit my wife and two kids in it if needed. All will hold up to bad weather.

Do you use anything under your sleeping pad? I have been debating on what to put under my thermarest but want to keep the weight down. Seen a lot of Tyvek
I picked up the SO tyvek sheet, gives you a nice clean area and extra protection for my mattress. I pack a Z-fold as well, sometimes I use that as well under my mattress but mostly for glassing and napping 🤣

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Well the jokes on them, I am the one who snores and I can sleep through the world burning down (except my wife’s elbow blows). I only hunt with 2 buddies, and a cousin, uncle, dad and the wife. Usually one or two max at a time. Sharing ol Wally World tents have never bothered me in the past 32 years. The reason for my recent hunt to find my ultimate tent, is a 6 month old and dad is not getting any younger.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I picked up the SO tyvek sheet, gives you a nice clean area and extra protection for my mattress. I pack a Z-fold as well, sometimes I use that as well under my mattress but mostly for glassing and napping 🤣
I didn’t know seek made house wrap!

I understand what you mean though. I think tyvek cut to size should be a fair bit lighter than the 8oz ground sheet that seek is selling though.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
You bet! It sounds like all of those are good options. Unfortunately I do not have experience with any Kuiu tents. But I too love their clothing. As for durability, I believe Hilleberg developed and uses some of the strongest materials in the industry. They include a fabric sample with your tent for you to compare several materials (including Hilleberg materials and non-Hilleberg common ripstop materials), and to do a tear test on them. I haven't actually done it, but supposedly their material is crazy strong.

I've used various other random tents (not Kuiu) that have all been freestanding. Then I got this Hilleberg (not freestanding) and I have no issues with a non-freestanding tent. I'm not sure I understand the draw to a freestanding tent. It seems to make no difference to me one way or the other. Maybe I'm missing something.

That is for sure. My Hilleberg is a 3p and it seems like the perfect size for just me and my gear. I could fit one other person in there that I don't mind getting cozy with, but that is it. Seems like all tents are "over-rated" in their capacity, which is why I chose a 3p tent for just me or me and one family member.

I don't share tents either, for the same reason. Only with my family.
Thank you for the details. I’m sure the hille must be pretty damn solid even for a semi-freestanding since it is a red label. My reasoning for a freestanding, stems from use of cheap freestanding tents have blown away the two cheaper (rei brand) semi-freestanding tents I have used in the past. As in, I woke up to a few inches of snow on a walmart tent and despite having a fair bit of condensation and icicles inside, I didn’t wake up with it collapsed on my face. The forecast was a slight chance of rain. I’ve had my quarter dome doubled over by wind alone.

WKR
After trying the hot tent route, I ended up with a Hilleberg. With vestibules at both ends, and room for 3 its huge inside. For the OP needs, I'd just go to a dealer and see what size Hilleberg would work.

Then I'd perhaps obsess over rifle scopes, spotting scopes, backpacks, knives, headlamps, base layers, cartridge selection etc.

JD Jones

WKR
…Then I'd perhaps obsess over rifle scopes, spotting scopes, backpacks, knives, headlamps, base layers, cartridge selection etc.
OP has come to the right place. Just when I have figured it out…. Oh look at that, something else that I need to know about

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
After trying the hot tent route, I ended up with a Hilleberg. With vestibules at both ends, and room for 3 its huge inside. For the OP needs, I'd just go to a dealer and see what size Hilleberg would work.

Then I'd perhaps obsess over rifle scopes, spotting scopes, backpacks, knives, headlamps, base layers, cartridge selection etc.
Lol I obsess over that stuff already and have so many options of my own to choose between.

Regarding Tyvek floor liners…to me, they are noisy. Like walking on crinkle paper. Not a big deal during awake hours, but when someone is tossing and turning at night, or just fiddling around, it can be irritating. I love our Kifaru Sawtooth, but will be looking at other options this year for floor liner.
It took me a while to adjust to a floorless, but it’s not bad. We do have problems with little ground squirrels up here, and I have chased them out of the tent a few times. Unnoticed, they can chew through things, like your water purifier tubing 😡

zacattack

WKR
Regarding Tyvek floor liners…to me, they are noisy. Like walking on crinkle paper. Not a big deal during awake hours, but when someone is tossing and turning at night, or just fiddling around, it can be irritating. I love our Kifaru Sawtooth, but will be looking at other options this year for floor liner.
It took me a while to adjust to a floorless, but it’s not bad. We do have problems with little ground squirrels up here, and I have chased them out of the tent a few times. Unnoticed, they can chew through things, like your water purifier tubing 😡
Seek outside makes a flooring sheet that’s much quieter than tyvek

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the reply! If the tipi ends up not working for me, I would be torn between the kuiu and a hille based on the feedback from everyone.

Sorry, can't do a comparison to the nallo.

I do have plenty experience with the mountain star as stated earlier. I believe one of the most overlooked details is the external rent poles, allowing you to set up in the rain without it wetting out.

Durability, the one I use is 6 years going strong besides a rip in the footprint. It has held up to torrential downpour, snow, 50 mph winds .

It's a hard choice. Hope you get what you are looking for.