Suggestions on tents

rclouse79

WKR
Reading your original post was weird. I felt like I had posted this in a state of amnesia. I am right there with you but recently added ice fishing pop ups into the fold. My main obsession was with tipis and tarps, but my dislike of ticks caused me to buy a tent.

I know it is a dirty dirty rip off, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Nature Hike is made in the same factory as some of the brands you are looking at. I got the Star River 2 and so far so good. It is light, seems to be high quality enough, and best of all keeps the ticks out. I found it on sale so cheap I could not resist the impulse purchase.

SwiftShot

WKR
I have gear paralysis. I am at the point that I’m ready to drop some $ on a tent. I have gone in circles. I think I have my mind made up then I read a different review.

I want a tent that is light enough for going solo (thinking 4 pounds and under but could do 5 for something that will last for years and years). Big enough for 2 guys and gear (thinking 3 man+). Able to hold up to unforeseen weather (snow/wind during October hunts in the west). Good for summer scouting and camping only trips where weather could be 90+ degrees. Going to last for a number of years. Has a floor and bug protection.

I thought I was sold on a Big Agnes 3 person. Then I read about the tigerwall. Then I get to thinking about the weather. Then I read about guys and their tipis. Then I get into tarptents. Then bivvys and a tarp. Then I get into hot tents. Then I think about the weather I have already been in (a foot of snow and 19 degrees overnight when the weather said a slight chance of rain) and been absolutely comfortable with a $30 Walmart tent. I get so upsidedown and sideways.

If I said $2k was your absolute limit. Where would you point me? Are all of these requests possible with one, do it all setup? Or should I do two setups?
The Argali with a liner would cover you. Get the 4 man. You can go all ways with that one. Floor and bug protection, cold weather it is a hot tent.

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
I appreciate the feedback. We’re you with a lot of gear in the tent for an extended amount of time?
Both times it was 12-14 days, backpack hunt in Alaska range. 99% of your gear won't come with you inside the tent. But we had one vestibule each for our gear. I mean it wasn't extravagant but it Def worked. We got weathered in both times for a couple of days as well.

uncastan

FNG
Anyone mention hilleberg? Used them in AK on goat hunts and worked great in some really crappy weather. You won't be standing up inside them, though.

sneaky

"DADDY"
How does it do with condensation? Do you think I would melt inside on 70 degree nights?
Not sure. Has a screen door, two lower vents and two upper vents. Test it and let us know

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Reading your original post was weird. I felt like I had posted this in a state of amnesia. I am right there with you but recently added ice fishing pop ups into the fold. My main obsession was with tipis and tarps, but my dislike of ticks caused me to buy a tent.

I know it is a dirty dirty rip off, but I wouldn’t be surprised if Nature Hike is made in the same factory as some of the brands you are looking at. I got the Star River 2 and so far so good. It is light, seems to be high quality enough, and best of all keeps the ticks out. I found it on sale so cheap I could not resist the impulse purchase.
Haha it’s a problem for sure. Here is where I have settled for now.
The SO Cimarron. During the warm season, I will run it with a half nest. Then during the cooler season I will run it with the full liner and the stove weather dependent. If a am solo, it’s maybe a half pound heavier than my 2 man tent.
I got to thinking about it, and it brought me back to a kifaru pack conversation I had with a buddy. It’s not the lightest but it is certainly not a one trick pony. Does some things that others can’t, it’s made in the states, and reviews are nothing but positive. Only some testing will tell. Biting the $1400 price tag for everything I could want for it, was my biggest issue. I had the same problem (and price tag!) with Kifaru. But priced out over the seasons, shouldn’t hurt too bad.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Both times it was 12-14 days, backpack hunt in Alaska range. 99% of your gear won't come with you inside the tent. But we had one vestibule each for our gear. I mean it wasn't extravagant but it Def worked. We got weathered in both times for a couple of days as well.
I really appreciate the reply. It was very high on my short list. I went back and looked at the camping photo thread and saw some of the weather guys were buried in. I am going with the Cimarron.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
No
Anyone mention hilleberg? Used them in AK on goat hunts and worked great in some really crappy weather. You won't be standing up inside them, though.
No one mentioned them, but I have looked into them a few times. Standing up in the tent isn’t a requirement for me. I had trouble with the weights of the hillebergs. The ones I found for 3 season beat the weight, but then what does it do that others don’t for half the price? That’s where I couldn’t wrap my head around them.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Not sure. Has a screen door, two lower vents and two upper vents. Test it and let us know

Well sounds like it would be fine! I can’t say I’ve seen any other 4 season, single wall tents.

sneaky

"DADDY"
No

No one mentioned them, but I have looked into them a few times. Standing up in the tent isn’t a requirement for me. I had trouble with the weights of the hillebergs. The ones I found for 3 season beat the weight, but then what does it do that others don’t for half the price? That’s where I couldn’t wrap my head around them.
Hilleberg 3 season tents are stronger than a lot of companies 4 season tents. Biggest thing that differentiates a 3 season Hille from a 4 is the fly doesn't go all the way to the ground, and more mesh on the inner. Poles and material are the same as their red label line for the most part.

sneaky

"DADDY"
Well sounds like it would be fine! I can’t say I’ve seen any other 4 season, single wall tents.
Black Diamond sells some, they are Black Diamond branded Bibler tents. Bibler was around for a long time before BD bought them out. Integral Designs used to be a player in that market also. BD tents are internal poles for the most part, takes a little getting used to on setup. They've been all around the world though.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Black Diamond sells some, they are Black Diamond branded Bibler tents. Bibler was around for a long time before BD bought them out. Integral Designs used to be a player in that market also. BD tents are internal poles for the most part, takes a little getting used to on setup. They've been all around the world though.

^^^ This is why I joined rokslide. I am so appreciative of the knowledge and experience.
I have already taken steps towards the SO cimarron, as in family got me a present by means of a non-refundable gift card there.

For you and your experience @sneaky is this a bad move? What are your thoughts on tipi tents?

You should enjoy that Cimarron, absolutely love mine and just good folks at the company making great USA made gear. For me, once I went floor-less it is hard to go back to traditional tent, all started with an 8 man SO Tipi. This past year, late season MT, I even kept the floor for our Davis wall tent in the bin, so much nicer and I like to say even cleaner. I purchased the Cimarron after being held up in a small/light Sierra Design High Route for 26 hours during a rain/snow event.....too much of a confined and no heat option. The Cimarron is just as light, bigger to hold all the gear inside where it can be accessed/dried and only gets better with the stove when needed.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
You should enjoy that Cimarron, absolutely love mine and just good folks at the company making great USA made gear. For me, once I went floor-less it is hard to go back to traditional tent, all started with an 8 man SO Tipi. This past year, late season MT, I even kept the floor for our Davis wall tent in the bin, so much nicer and I like to say even cleaner. I purchased the Cimarron after being held up in a small/light Sierra Design High Route for 26 hours during a rain/snow event.....too much of a confined and no heat option. The Cimarron is just as light, bigger to hold all the gear inside where it can be accessed/dried and only gets better with the stove when needed.
Do you use anything under your sleeping pad? I have been debating on what to put under my thermarest but want to keep the weight down. Seen a lot of Tyvek

Cimarron is excellent and Seek Outside in general. I really appreciate how their advertised weights are insanely close. Service is incredible and they can repair if needed. Even something simple as their carbon pole stands out to me from other ones I’ve tried.

sneaky

"DADDY"
^^^ This is why I joined rokslide. I am so appreciative of the knowledge and experience.
I have already taken steps towards the SO cimarron, as in family got me a present by means of a non-refundable gift card there.

For you and your experience @sneaky is this a bad move? What are your thoughts on tipi tents?
Tipi tents cover a lot of bases...Seek Outside just burned a few bridges with some of their owner's comments on social media and whatnot. That's an entirely other rabbit hole to go down though

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Tipi tents cover a lot of bases...Seek Outside just burned a few bridges with some of their owner's comments on social media and whatnot. That's an entirely other rabbit hole to go down though

Oh no! I won’t buy black rifle coffee for the owners mouth. Now I’m curious what he said. Eh if I don’t find out, it can’t bother me. I’ll just be over here with my head in the sand for that one. Plus this is the only social media I have since 2017. Seeing and reading the same garbage from the same garbage people. Also why I don’t watch any news channels.

Anyway back to it, any negatives towards tipis you can make me aware of so I can watch out for or get ahead of?