Suggestions on tents

It doesn’t snow over here on the west side until after the season typically. Last year 2021 on the east side, we were just below the snow line during elk rifle. It wasn’t bad enough for me to even think of a hot tent. My time in Idaho/Montana, I want a hot tent
I guess it depends on where you hunt. This year elk hunting in the cascades I was in snow every day. Pretty damn cold at night too

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I guess it depends on where you hunt. This year elk hunting in the cascades I was in snow every day. Pretty damn cold at night too
I stayed in south coastal this year for deer and late elk so that makes sense. It was so hot during my short deer season, I was sticking close to water. And it was damp during elk but we weren’t 10 miles from the beach. I’ll be back eastern this year.

I stayed in south coastal this year for deer and late elk so that makes sense. It was so hot during my short deer season, I was sticking close to water. And it was damp during elk but we weren’t 10 miles from the beach. I’ll be back eastern this year.
That makes sense! I’ll be hunting the West side again this year, I had great luck hunting the High Buck tag for deer this year. Next year I’ll have enough points to hopefully pull a decent tag again over East

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
If you’re worried about your trekking poles with a durston, cut a couple branches and put a spare sock over the tops. Problem solved.
I think I’ve pretty much talked myself out of a trekking pole tent. Great idea and super lightweight but for my style of hunting, I think a tipi would fit best. Just a little nervous as I have only used free and semi-free standing tents.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
That makes sense! I’ll be hunting the West side again this year, I had great luck hunting the High Buck tag for deer this year. Next year I’ll have enough points to hopefully pull a decent tag again over East
Good luck 👍🏻. I know a lot of bucks were hammered in coastal the last week of the season due to the weather/rut. Now with all this snow, I would be curious how the deer are doing. Pretty nervous about a big die off.

Good luck 👍🏻. I know a lot of bucks were hammered in coastal the last week of the season due to the weather/rut. Now with all this snow, I would be curious how the deer are doing. Pretty nervous about a big die off.
Yeah a few of my buddies dropped some big ones that last week of season. It’ll be interesting to see how things look up high this summer.

Pdzoller

WKR
DF74C30F-5671-4D24-A5AE-C66CA98FE727.jpegThis is the Redcliff on a early spring hunt in the Siskiyous. We had to use mostly rocks as anchor points. During the night there was very high winds. I’m guessing 40mph sustained at times. Only issue was a slight tear at the stove pipe outlet. Seek makes good gear.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
View attachment 529508This is the Redcliff on an early spring hunt in the Siskiyous. We had to use mostly rocks as anchor points. During the night there was very high winds. I’m guessing 40mph sustained at times. Only issue was a slight tear at the stove pipe outlet. Seek makes good gear.
I haven’t looked, but isn’t the Cimarron smaller (lighter) than the redcliff? I was reading the Cimarron in certain variations is already pushing my self imposed one man solo weight limits

Pdzoller

WKR
I haven’t looked, but isn’t the Cimarron smaller (lighter) than the redcliff? I was reading the Cimarron in certain variations is already pushing my self imposed one man solo weight limits
Yessir. Have you looked into the Ultralight Cimmeron? Not sure of specs but I heard it was quite a bit lighter and more expensive. Lol

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Well it’s good to know that even the bigger version will stand up to the wind. I think I’ve made up my mind to go with the Cimarron. The most people I will have it it, is me the wife and child. If more than one friend wants to go, they are on their own.

I’m thinking the half nest, full liner, medium standard stove and the carbon pole.

Any changes/suggestions anyone would make for the needs I’ve described?

sneaky

"DADDY"
You wanna go down another rabbit hole? I could mention a lines of tents you've probably never considered lol

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
You wanna go down another rabbit hole? I could mention a lines of tents you've probably never considered lol

I’m 99% into the Cimarron but if it’s a better option, lay it on me!

NilsBackstrom

Lil-Rokslider
That was on the list. Then I think, well why not the zpacks triplex. Then I thought about what I would do for trekking poles whilst hunting. How would it hold up to wind or snow? The kuiu is high on mine. Concerned about 2 6’+ tall guys and gear though. I am leaning hard towards a tipi or a freestanding. It seems like a freestanding in the 3person range is either too heavy, or too flimsy for my requests. I have zero experience with a tipi and think it may suit my needs the best. Then I get into the seek vs argali vs kifaru vs other brands. Seems to be the seek is well loved.
I've done two sheep hunts with my father-in-law. I'm 6'2 and he is 6'5. Not saying that you have tons of room but the mountain star works.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I've done two sheep hunts with my father-in-law. I'm 6'2 and he is 6'5. Not saying that you have tons of room but the mountain star works.
I appreciate the feedback. We’re you with a lot of gear in the tent for an extended amount of time?

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m 99% into the Cimarron but if it’s a better option, lay it on me!
Samaya 2.5P 4 season, free standing, single wall DCF hybrid, less than 3.5lbs.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Samaya 2.5P 4 season, free standing, single wall DCF hybrid, less than 3.5lbs.

How does it do with condensation? Do you think I would melt inside on 70 degree nights?

CMF

WKR
With your budget, I'd do two setups. Durston x-mid 2 and a hot tent tipi combo. I have the DD x-mid2 and the vestibules offer good room for gear. I'm wanting to add a hot tent set up for colder weather, but I wouldn't want all the extra weight when I don't need it.
The xmid pro will be even lighter.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
With your budget, I'd do two setups. Durston x-mid 2 and a hot tent tipi combo. I have the DD x-mid2 and the vestibules offer good room for gear. I'm wanting to add a hot tent set up for colder weather, but I wouldn't want all the extra weight when I don't need it.
The xmid pro will be even lighter.
I literally just commented on you thread 😂

I think running two setups will work in my favor. I have a pretty lightweight 1 man setup for those warmer days. The more I see posts on the Cimarron buried in snow, the more I like it.