Suggestions on tents

Taudisio

WKR
I have gear paralysis. I am at the point that I’m ready to drop some $ on a tent. I have gone in circles. I think I have my mind made up then I read a different review.

I want a tent that is light enough for going solo (thinking 4 pounds and under but could do 5 for something that will last for years and years). Big enough for 2 guys and gear (thinking 3 man+). Able to hold up to unforeseen weather (snow/wind during October hunts in the west). Good for summer scouting and camping only trips where weather could be 90+ degrees. Going to last for a number of years. Has a floor and bug protection.

I thought I was sold on a Big Agnes 3 person. Then I read about the tigerwall. Then I get to thinking about the weather. Then I read about guys and their tipis. Then I get into tarptents. Then bivvys and a tarp. Then I get into hot tents. Then I think about the weather I have already been in (a foot of snow and 19 degrees overnight when the weather said a slight chance of rain) and been absolutely comfortable with a $30 Walmart tent. I get so upsidedown and sideways.

If I said $2k was your absolute limit. Where would you point me? Are all of these requests possible with one, do it all setup? Or should I do two setups?

For $2k you could do 3 decent tents / tipis

Grab one or two used. Use summer and adjust. Or through the hunting season and adjust.

Just buy and see what ya like and adjust.

I say used so if ya don’t like you can sell and not really lose any money.

Then once ya dial in what “you like” grab a new setup that will last a long time.

I’ve tried em all and I’m dialed in to cimarron (2 people with heat) and a 6 person tipi (3 with gear). Just allows more room to move around inside and if weather keeps inside too

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
For $2k you could do 3 decent tents / tipis

Grab one or two used. Use summer and adjust. Or through the hunting season and adjust.

Just buy and see what ya like and adjust.

I say used so if ya don’t like you can sell and not really lose any money.

Then once ya dial in what “you like” grab a new setup that will last a long time.

I’ve tried em all and I’m dialed in to cimarron (2 people with heat) and a 6 person tipi (3 with gear). Just allows more room to move around inside and if weather keeps inside too

Good luck

I should have listed some other things, I absolutely hate buying used gear. I am hard on things and usually will try to sell it if it doesn’t work for me, I will give it away if I have compromised it, when others would probably try to sell it. (My way of saying I do not trust anyone) How difficult is the seek to get up without being able to get stakes into rock or frozen dirt? I really want a do it all one setup or I will settle with two cheaper if need be.

Man I feel you, done tons of research.

You should look into the Durston xmid-2, you can get a solid or mesh interior. I think at some point the solid will be available for sale on its own if you bought the mesh. That's what I've finally settled on and waiting for it to come in. I'm hoping it's what I'm thinking it's going to be. It's not freestanding but I can't think of a place where I wouldn't stake out a tent from my experiences.

Kuiu mountain star 2

SlingFin portal 2

Trap Tent double rainbow double wall

Tarptent double moment (discontinued but one is for sale on classifieds) looks brand new

Those were the other top five for me.

Superdoo

WKR
For your criteria, I would have at least two different tents.
The variables of weather, location and number of people dictate what pieces of kit are “right” for the task.
If money is no object ($2k is a lot of moolah) then why comprise with a tent that is really only suited for a handful of applications?

I should have listed some other things, I absolutely hate buying used gear. I am hard on things and usually will try to sell it if it doesn’t work for me, I will give it away if I have compromised it, when others would probably try to sell it. (My way of saying I do not trust anyone) How difficult is the seek to get up without being able to get stakes into rock or frozen dirt? I really want a do it all one setup or I will settle with two cheaper if need be.

I’m the same way, but if ya look over the used gear and see plenty of pictures ya should be fine. Especially since it seems like ya might need to fig out a few things to make something stick. Truthfully some of the used stuff isn’t saving ya a lot of money. So I get that.

If all rock and no dirt, assume ya can can tie rope around rocks down tight with skirt (I always find some dirt to drive stakes into). Ya should also do long tie outs to dirt or trees and then use rocks around skirt. Frozen, I can always tap stakes in by using a rock to drive em in. Some ingenuity I would guess is to boil pour water where ya will drive stakes into frozen ground (just a guess, but situational dependent I suppose).

That’s why I have diff tents for diff scenarios of weather. Less people / more people. Where I’ll be set up and weather conditions.

Either way, just grab a few and go for it.

I had paralysis with a new SG pack “frame” last year. Finally just went for it and adjusted. Ya won’t kno till ya try.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
That was on the list. Then I think, well why not the zpacks triplex. Then I thought about what I would do for trekking poles whilst hunting. How would it hold up to wind or snow? The kuiu is high on mine. Concerned about 2 6’+ tall guys and gear though. I am leaning hard towards a tipi or a freestanding. It seems like a freestanding in the 3person range is either too heavy, or too flimsy for my requests. I have zero experience with a tipi and think it may suit my needs the best. Then I get into the seek vs argali vs kifaru vs other brands. Seems to be the seek is well loved.

I too wonder about the trekking poles unless I was pure minimalist and tearing down/ putting up daily to use the trekking poles. Carbon center tent post is best.

Tipis hold up great in snow and whatever ya throw in it. I’ve been there and done that with them.

I can put up and tear down so much faster with a tipi than a regular tent with tent poles.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I think I will just go for the gusto and get a cimmaron. It seems to check the boxes. I will just have to sort out which accessories I need.

@snowymtnwolf
What do you think will be the life expectancy of your cimmaron?

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I too wonder about the trekking poles unless I was pure minimalist and tearing down/ putting up daily to use the trekking poles. Carbon center tent post is best.

Tipis hold up great in snow and whatever ya throw in it. I’ve been there and done that with them.

I can put up and tear down so much faster with a tipi than a regular tent with tent poles.

And what is it like inside, without a floor and it’s raining/snowing? Do you bring a footprint for your mat? Do you bring a nest for a bathtub protection?

Pdzoller

WKR
Glad I’m in good company. I got more tents than my wife has shoes. 🤣
I’m trying out the Argali Absaroka with a Cimmeron nest and a u-turn stove this spring. I’m thinking it will be just the ticket for solo hunting with my dog.

We use the Redcliff pretty regularly for two and three man hunting. The thing is a mansion for two guys. It’s surprisingly lightweight and durable. Only downside to Teepee tents is the footprint.

I got a MSR Elixir. The thing is a tank but I have no doubt that it will withstand 60+ mph winds and some snow if pitched correctly.

I got several other tents but I don’t use them for anything other than early season.

Good luck.

I’ve hunted wyo and colo in lots of diff conditions and ground composition. I prefer floorless because less mess and weight. They sell tyvek floor sheets that ya can use under sleeping pad (I don’t have but might buy).

I also have small titanium stove that keeps it dry inside that could help minimize crappy conditions. But where I’m at the rain and snow drain away or soak in, so not that big of a deal for where I’m at.

I don’t run a nest because bugs aren’t that big of a deal. But I do like the liners which keep side condensation at bay and add an element of insulation when it’s super cold.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Glad I’m in good company. I got more tents than my wife has shoes. 🤣
I’m trying out the Argali Absaroka with a Cimmeron nest and a u-turn stove this spring. I’m thinking it will be just the ticket for solo hunting with my dog.

We use the Redcliff pretty regularly for two and three man hunting. The thing is a mansion for two guys. It’s surprisingly lightweight and durable. Only downside to Teepee tents is the footprint.

I got a MSR Elixir. The thing is a tank but I have no doubt that it will withstand 60+ mph winds and some snow if pitched correctly.

I got several other tents but I don’t use them for anything other than early season.

Good luck.
And thanks for rebooting my paralysis

That was on the list. Then I think, well why not the zpacks triplex. Then I thought about what I would do for trekking poles whilst hunting. How would it hold up to wind or snow? The kuiu is high on mine. Concerned about 2 6’+ tall guys and gear though. I am leaning hard towards a tipi or a freestanding. It seems like a freestanding in the 3person range is either too heavy, or too flimsy for my requests. I have zero experience with a tipi and think it may suit my needs the best. Then I get into the seek vs argali vs kifaru vs other brands. Seems to be the seek is well loved.
Durston also makes poles that you can use instead of trekking poles, I think they're pretty lightweight as well.

Also as stated above just leave it staked and take the trekking poles. I don't know if I would do this in any type of weather though. But that's just speculation, tent hasn't been delivered yet haha.

Pdzoller

WKR
And thanks for rebooting my paralysis
Just saw you’re in Oregon too. I only go floorless in November around here. Fire ants will eat a guy alive. Not a huge fan of things crawling on me while I’m sleeping. A couple years ago my cousin had a lizard crawl into his quilt with him. He woke up yelling and flailing! He thought it was a snake! 🤣

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
Just saw you’re in Oregon too. I only go floorless in November around here. Fire ants will eat a guy alive. Not a huge fan of things crawling on me while I’m sleeping. A couple years ago my cousin had a lizard crawl into his quilt with him. He woke up yelling and flailing! He thought it was a snake! 🤣
😂 Knowing my luck, I’ll pitch the tipi over a meat bee hole. Not to mention I hunt out of state pretty regularly. Imagine the fun things crawling on you in the AZ desert. I have 2 out of state hunts planned this year. One is in a swampy basin in CA high country during their archery (summer) season. I can’t wait to help their mosquitos get a snack! It seems that I will need every accessory that seek makes for the Cimarron and swap everything out state and season dependent.

Another question, would it be redundant to have the liner and the nest up to prevent bugs and condensation? Is that even possible?

I’ve tried multiple hot tent set ups here in Oregon. Over on the East side it’s pretty sweet being able to hang out for a few minutes and warm up. On the West side it was miserable trying to get enough dry wood to bother with. Your results may differ but I’ve gone to a Big Agnes for the fall/winter and a Seek DST for everything else. I know a lot of folks love their hot tents but I never really thought they were worth all the hassle. Check out the BA UL2 and grab a Copper Hotel fly for it. That huge covered area is awesome when you’re stuck in the rain.

OP
Taudisio

Taudisio

WKR
I’ve tried multiple hot tent set ups here in Oregon. Over on the East side it’s pretty sweet being able to hang out for a few minutes and warm up. On the West side it was miserable trying to get enough dry wood to bother with. Your results may differ but I’ve gone to a Big Agnes for the fall/winter and a Seek DST for everything else. I know a lot of folks love their hot tents but I never really thought they were worth all the hassle. Check out the BA UL2 and grab a Copper Hotel fly for it. That huge covered area is awesome when you’re stuck in the rain.
It doesn’t snow over here on the west side until after the season typically. Last year 2021 on the east side, we were just below the snow line during elk rifle. It wasn’t bad enough for me to even think of a hot tent. My time in Idaho/Montana, I want a hot tent