Stone Glacier Terminus Review

Kurt

Lil-Rokslider
Rokslide Sponsor
@MT_Wyatt - Below you will find a link to the instructional video. We just got this put up yesterday, this was my fault it was not up sooner and apologize for that. It is now embedded on the Terminus landing page as well.

@slick – Thanks for your response, that makes more sense and I appreciate it.

In regards to boned meat in the internal load cell, I prefer to use one of our load cell bags inside the load cell. Many of the places we hunt here in MT have a wilderness designation, so it is required to hang food/meat, having the meat in a separate bag that is hangable is very helpful. In general I have preferred to have boned meat in separate bag to also manage moisture, cool the meat, which requires removing the meat from the pack when the pack out is multiple days and/or warmer conditions. I am sure that any game bag with adequate structure will work also, although I have tried it.

We have had some customers that prefer to use a contractor trash bag as a liner inside the internal load shelf, however this was primarily so there was no blood inside the pack and it makes clean up much easier.

Thanks for the other comments, as mentioned before, feel free to reach out anytime if I can help with anything.

Best
Kurt

sndmn11

WKR
@slick – Thanks for your response, that makes more sense and I appreciate it.

In regards to boned meat in the internal load cell, I prefer to use one of our load cell bags inside the load cell.

Thanks for the other comments, as mentioned before, feel free to reach out anytime if I can help with anything.

Best
Kurt

@Kurt, I am curious if the thread used for the load cell is any different than the rest of your thread for the pack? With it being much more like a sleeve than a panel or shelf, it has my curious due to the thread possibly getting biologicals on it and becoming weaker or stretching. The perception in my mind, NOT being an owner, is that an enclosed sleeve might be harder to clean out fully.

Not having one in hand, I do not know if that would be the case or not, or if any additional thought went into thread selection due to the possibility of what I am imagining?

I’m back from my first Alaska sheep hunt with the Terminus. We had really wet weather and lots of brush. In truly wet weather, your going to need either a pack cover or to seam seal the bag. SG does not claim that the pack is waterproof, only the material. Both my partner and I used the Terminus and both had considerable water ingress. While I used DCF packing cubes and stuff sacks for my gear, my partner only used a Sil stuff sack for his down sleeping bag, which got quite wet on the first day of the pack in.
I hate using pack covers, so I’m going to use Kevin Timm’s advice from Seek Outside and seam seal the exterior seams of the bag with Gear Aid Seam Grip FC. This should greatly help with keeping water out when your in really wet conditions.
3a9ea991ae13ba22f5455a8e6964a6fb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi @AK Troutbum, out of curiosity, did you ever get round to seam sealing your Terminus and did it fully eliminate the water ingress you were experiencing?

Yes it definitely helped with water ingress. I can’t say the percentage of difference though. I actually went over the seams a second time before going to Kodiak. However I didn’t get a chance to test it in any wet weather. I’ll probably it out in the shower to see how much of a difference it made.

Yes it definitely helped with water ingress. I can’t say the percentage of difference though. I actually went over the seams a second time before going to Kodiak. However I didn’t get a chance to test it in any wet weather. I’ll probably it out in the shower to see how much of a difference it made.

Thanks @B_Reynolds_AK!

littlebigtine

Lil-Rokslider
man do i love this pack! aside from some blood coming through the load cell inside the bag i have only positive remarks. carrys like my x curve, simple like my evo, and the added moisture protection means i dont need to pack a rain cover 75% of the time. ill be using this bag all year long aside from the last two weeks in september.

sr80

WKR
Jammed a whole bone in mulie in mine yesterday. I feel like some people think because it has a dedicated shelf sewn in that they need to bone out their meat. Im loving this pack, big enough for stuff like this, yet light AF when hunting and hiking around! Great design Kurt! My only complaint about it is the straps for the lid are directly underneath the load lifter straps, so you have to either run them inside the load lifters or outside which either makes the lid kind fold inwards on itself if on the inside or if you do them on the outside of the load lifters the lid will come down and kinda lay over the load lifters and cuts off the load lifter angle. Not a huge deal really, and its only when the bag is being used as a day pack.

Id1d4Wb.jpg

Last edited:

Kotaman

WKR
Gave my Terminus a workout in its first year. Started out with a spring bear hunt on Kodiak. Typical Kodiak weather. Pack performed flawlessly and packed a good load out with ease.

August took me back to Alaska for Dall Sheep in the Wrangels. Typical sheep hunt, ended with packing a ram off the mountain. In lieu of seam sealing, I decided to store pretty much everything in the pack in dry bags. When the pack got wet, it dried out pretty quick on the mountain.

My last hunt of the year was back to Kodiak for deer. We saw every imaginable weather condition on this hunt. I did throw in a pack cover for this hunt and glad I did. Our first hunt day was pouring rain sideways with 50 mph winds. Packed out two deer with the pack and again everything was flawless.

This pack is a great combination of being super light, handling a load when it has to and is quite weather resistant. The meat I packed on all three trips was in caribou game bags inside a trash bag inside the main pack. This method always worked for me in the past and I have no reason to change. Not brave enough to just throw meat inside the sewn in meat bag As I hate getting blood all over my pack and gear. This pack fills a specific purpose and it does it well. It will go on another sheep hunt in August…

Gave my Terminus a workout in its first year. Started out with a spring bear hunt on Kodiak. Typical Kodiak weather. Pack performed flawlessly and packed a good load out with ease.

August took me back to Alaska for Dall Sheep in the Wrangels. Typical sheep hunt, ended with packing a ram off the mountain. In lieu of seam sealing, I decided to store pretty much everything in the pack in dry bags. When the pack got wet, it dried out pretty quick on the mountain.

My last hunt of the year was back to Kodiak for deer. We saw every imaginable weather condition on this hunt. I did throw in a pack cover for this hunt and glad I did. Our first hunt day was pouring rain sideways with 50 mph winds. Packed out two deer with the pack and again everything was flawless.

This pack is a great combination of being super light, handling a load when it has to and is quite weather resistant. The meat I packed on all three trips was in caribou game bags inside a trash bag inside the main pack. This method always worked for me in the past and I have no reason to change. Not brave enough to just throw meat inside the sewn in meat bag As I hate getting blood all over my pack and gear. This pack fills a specific purpose and it does it well. It will go on another sheep hunt in August…
you running the xcurve stays in it?

schmalzy

WKR
Will they sell it with the xcurve stays in it or is that something you need to figure out yourself?

Something you have to figure out yourself unless things have changed in the last few months.

I thought I’d need to do this as I loved the xcurve frame but I left my terminus as is and has been great for my back. That being said obviously everyone is different.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Something you have to figure out yourself unless things have changed in the last few months.

I thought I’d need to do this as I loved the xcurve frame but I left my terminus as is and has been great for my back. That being said obviously everyone is different.

I’ve never tried the straight stays. My current pack is an original xcurve (2017) with a guide 7900 bag. The lightweight of some of these other bags has me thinking of switching out hints up.

Kotaman

WKR
Yes, you can swap out the stays. I don’t think they will sell one with the curved stays. I was always an XCurve guy. The original frame and EVO frame did not really work for me. The integrated frame of this pack works for me without swapping stays.

schmalzy

WKR
I’ve never tried the straight stays. My current pack is an original xcurve (2017) with a guide 7900 bag. The lightweight of some of these other bags has me thinking of switching out hints up.

I had the same set up and the 2 pound savings was too much to ignore for me.

chasewild

WKR
Yes, you can swap out the stays. I don’t think they will sell one with the curved stays. I was always an XCurve guy. The original frame and EVO frame did not really work for me. The integrated frame of this pack works for me without swapping stays.

SG will swap stays for you before it leaves their shop. I called re: the same.

OP
Zach Herold

Zach Herold

Super Moderator
Staff member
UPDATE!

I have used the SG Terminus extensively. I tested the durability and how waterproof the fabric is, I have used it compressed on multiple day hunts, and I must say this has become my favorite backpack.

I pushed it to the limits with around 180lbs in it and nothing broke.

I must say I am extremely impressed with the pack as a whole. Comfort, durability, lightweight, easy to move and shoot with, and works for any hunting scenario you find yourself in.