Stocky’s Hunter VG Tikka stock

atmat

WKR
I really want to try one of these on my bergara ridge.

What's your guy's thoughts on drilling another hole in front of the bottom metal for a salmon River solutions hunter rail. My concern is the carbon and would it create a weak spot? Is the stock filled with foam or is it hollow?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk
It’s filled with foam. It’s slightly rounded, so when I tried flat rails they stuck out a bit. The SRS rails are slightly rounded I believe, so it may be a smoother fit.

Ultimately I decided I hated how the rifle felt with a rail when I hand carried it, so I abandoned the project.

Edit: typo

It’s filled with foam. It’s slightly rounded, so when I tried flat areas they stuck out a bit. The SRS rails are slightly rounded I believe, so it may be a smoother fit.

Ultimately I decided I hated how the rifle felt with a rail when I hand carried it, so I abandoned the project.
^Yep. I mounted an SRS rail to a sporter style Stocky carbon fiber stock and ultimately decided I didn't like how it felt when I hand carried my rifle.

amassi

WKR
I really want to try one of these on my bergara ridge.

What's your guy's thoughts on drilling another hole in front of the bottom metal for a salmon River solutions hunter rail. My concern is the carbon and would it create a weak spot? Is the stock filled with foam or is it hollow?

I installed 2 spartan gunsmith adapters 1 ~ 2” in front of the bottom metal and 1 in front of the sling stud
No issues and that’s a 3/4” hole. I used painters tape and taped the shoot out of the area I was going to drill and stepped up the hole size slowly to avoid cracking.
Not sure what it’s filled with but it comes out in ribbons and not dust

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know about the rail and carrying it thanks guys

ElPollo

WKR
Carrying a rifle when there is an AICS magazine, ARCA plate, or other protuberance on the bottom near the balance point is a giant annoyance.

-J
My solution to this is to use a 5” piece of pic rail in the front with a Leofoto LH-40sk ball head on my tripod that uses both pic and arca. This leaves the space in front of the mag where you carry the gun clear of metal. The pic rail is also narrower than arca so it’s less of a pain in the ass. I can go straight from my arca based optics to my rifle with no adapters.

Form a couple questions I haven’t seen addressed or might of missed. How does this stock handle recoil compared to the factory stock? What torque did you use to mount it your normal 60in/pnds or did you use stockeys recommended torque? Is this a worthwhile upgrade over the factory stock? Also very curious how it does in drop testing.

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU
Form a couple questions I haven’t seen addressed or might of missed. How does this stock handle recoil compared to the factory stock?

If you mean muzzle rise, it is better than factory due the buttpad and cheek piece being more inline with the barrel.

What torque did you use to mount it your normal 60in/pnds or did you use stockeys recommended torque?

Yes, 60 in-lbs.

Is this a worthwhile upgrade over the factory stock? Also very curious how it does in drop testing.

That remains to be seen due to durability. So far, this would be my personal choice of replacement lightweight stocks. It feels good, handles recoil/muzzle rise well, and is better than most with regards to design. The KRG Bravo if lightweight isn’t a priority.

My guess is the stock will prove to be functional, and as durable as most, and therefor a steal at their cost.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Is the trigger reach not as bad as it looks?
Can it be dropped in without bedding and shoot well consistently?

-J

OP
Formidilosus

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Shoot2HuntU

-J

If you have normal sized hands, the trigger reach is fine. It’s usable for smaller hands, if not ideal. @Ryan Avery is going to build his up a bit, as he has small hands smell like cabbage.

This one dropped in fine and shoots what the gun was doing, or slightly better than the factory stock for significant shot groups sizes. It offers a little bit better control than the factory stock.

NSI

WKR
Shoot2HuntU
Appreciated Form. I'll probably take a flyer on a Blem next time one comes up.

What's the best way to build up the front of the grip strap?

-J

amassi

WKR

-J

I bedded both of my vg stocks they probably didn’t need it but I get the plain carbon weave and there’s a lot of unfinished interior that I felt better with a layer of DevCon on. If I wanted one of them to be bulletproof I’d do a full bed with pillars. But the bedded action and bottom metal locks up tight as is and I don’t notice any crushing at 65”#
Also I don’t mind bedding stocks, kind of enjoy it honestly.
Also, The lug recess is so tight I dropped one recoil lug in to test fit and couldn’t get it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandstrom

WKR
The VG carbon stock that I got a couple of months ago was slightly loose where the recoil lug goes (also shipped without one). Anyone have thoughts on permanently epoxying it in?
Ryan