So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

jpndave

FNG
My hunter is packed up and ready to head off to Kampfeld for fluting (bolt&barrel). Also cutting 2" off and adding one of his brakes for the range. What I can't decide on is whether or not I get it cerakoted. I've never had a problem with my other stainless guns with corrosion, and I've already spent way too much on this gun (mpi stock...). What do you all think? I really wish I knew what it weighs (shush you non weight weenies, this is an ultralight thread😛).
If you are worried about the Cerakote weight but want to do it, use Cerakote Elite. It's tougher/better in most ways and goes on thinner, hence lighter. We are setting up to do Cerakoting here and I am going to bring in some elite to try. You can't do multiple colors/designs with it as it won't stick to itself but for single colors in colors that are available, it is the best. I will try and weight one before and after to see what it does but that is going to be a bit before it happens.

Available colors are here:

coues32

WKR
Kampfields fluting, it is on a 8400 tho, don't recall the weight savings

Attachments

• 20201009_052905.jpg
    20201009_052905.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 112

Trackselk

WKR
If you are worried about the Cerakote weight but want to do it, use Cerakote Elite. It's tougher/better in most ways and goes on thinner, hence lighter. We are setting up to do Cerakoting here and I am going to bring in some elite to try. You can't do multiple colors/designs with it as it won't stick to itself but for single colors in colors that are available, it is the best. I will try and weight one before and after to see what it does but that is going to be a bit before it happens.

Available colors are here:
Thanks, please do report back on the weight. What's a full action, barrel and bolt application cost with the Elite? I'm not worried about grams, so not so much worried about the weight, but just curious how insignificant it really is

Sled

WKR
Following to see how much weight Karl gets out or your barrel. Isn’t it crazy how much some of us will spend to lose a couple ounces from a rifle? When you start figuring up dollar per ounce, it gets scary!
Same goes with snowmobiles. The cost per ounce is almost as bad. The same people paying that high price won't even skip the seconds on pie.

Personally, I try for a reasonably light rifle that's still functional for the purpose. To me, the Kimber hunter is light enough as is. There are a lot of higher value places to lose weight.

coues32

WKR
Looks similar to the factory Ascent job, so I'm guessing about an ounce
I want to say the hunter bolt is smaller than the 8400, nevertheless it looks great.
I put Ti tactical knobs on my kimbers. Makes grabbing with gloves a breeze. My brother has the carbon knob from Lumley/bolt knob.com

Trackselk

WKR
I spoke with Karl today, and specifically asked him if he flutes controlled feed bolts. He said yes. I also asked him about the fluting on our pencil thin barrels, and it sounds like with my 20" barrel (2" chop) that the flutes will probably extend all the way to the muzzle end, but he needs to get eyes on it (arrives there thursday). He thought maybe a couple of inches short on a normal length barrel. I'm just going to have him do what he feels is best for good structural integrity, as I don't want to go so narrow that it flexes too much, or is easy to damage when I take a fall. Or, in other words, remove as much metal as makes sense without affecting accuracy. Should be interesting what he comes up with.

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
I'll hopefully have results in about 3 weeks!
I'm really hoping it changes the harmonics or timing enough to make this barrel shoot LRX's or other small monos better, as it currently likes 140&143 grain eldx, eldm (3/4" groups with factory ammo and those 2). Hoping to get to 1/2", or at least moa with some reloaded LRX'S and with the new bedded MPI stock. Otherwise I'll try ttsx

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I'll hopefully have results in about 3 weeks!
I'm really hoping it changes the harmonics or timing enough to make this barrel shoot LRX's or other small monos better, as it currently likes 140&143 grain eldx, eldm (3/4" groups with factory ammo and those 2). Hoping to get to 1/2", or at least moa with some reloaded LRX'S and with the new bedded MPI stock. Otherwise I'll try ttsx
Sorry if I missed it, what MPI stock did you get and what is the lead time on one?

Trackselk

WKR
*correction

He thought maybe a couple OF inches short (fluting) on a normal length barrel. Or, not quite to the end.
Might look cool, hmm?

Trackselk

WKR
Sorry if I missed it, what MPI stock did you get and what is the lead time on one?
No sweat. Um, I forget the name, but it's currently a blank waiting for the rifle to arrive there for fitment. I went with the lightest option +trigger gaurd, swivel studs, .9" recoil pad, a little extra LOP, which all done should be about 18 ounces they think. Man, I really feel dumb for jumping into this right before I read about removing the gel! Oh well, hopefully it'll fit me much better and be full of magic.

83cj-7

WKR
This is where I’m at right now with weight. I’m not interested in spending $100 an ounce to make it any lighter and this is certainly light enough. I will post pics soon.

Factory Rifle 87oz (5lbs 7oz)
Removal of gel -8.25oz
22 to 16 cut -5oz
Bare rifle 73.75oz (4lbs 9.75oz)
Scope 9oz
Talley rings 2oz
Suppressor 13oz
Spray Foam in stock .25oz
Total 97.75oz (6lbs 2oz)