So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Luke's was on a Montana wasn't it?

The Hunter trigger guard is all plastic built into the stock, not much weight savings there.

Trackselk

WKR
Luke's was on a Montana wasn't it?

The Hunter trigger guard is all plastic built into the stock, not much weight savings there.
Thats right. I forgot to mention that mine is getting an ascent trigger gaurd due to the MPI stock. I would have just removed the goo if I had read about that option prior to ordering the MPI, ouch ($$$$)...
At least I'll get a longer LOP for my lanky frame.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
yeah, iirc correctly- a little over 8 oz loss in weight w/ the "goo" removed :D

Trackselk

WKR
yeah, iirc correctly- a little over 8 oz loss in weight w/ the "goo" removed :D
I think I have my hunting partner convinced to go this route for an ultralight. You can't beat the kimber for weight and cost, as their action is the same weight as the lightest titanium action from what I could find. 15.5 ounces.
*or action plus bolt?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Welppp it'll be getting lighter. Lucked up and got a 2.5-10x32 SWFA, finally, for a song too. This weekend I'm going to hunt with it as-is with the Trijicon on it and try to get it some blood...then I'm going to take it apart and send it to Karl Kampfeld for wrought iron fluting, bead blasting, and threading 1/2-28 for a Yankee Hill Machine R9 suppressor.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I would be careful fluting the bolt on a CRF like the Kimber. The extractor can ride on the flutes and you may feel it cycling the action in addition to riding over rounds in the magazine. Not saying don't do it necessarily, just make sure you go in with both eyes open. Here is a writeup with weights on one that might prove useful.

Anybody had the action milled out like
The Montana in this article? That would be another thing you could do if you’re really on a quest for the absolute lightest rifle.

Trackselk

WKR
Anybody had the action milled out like
The Montana in this article? That would be another thing you could do if you’re really on a quest for the absolute lightest rifle.
Somehow i missed those action cuts, thanks! I wonder how much weight they got from that, I'm guessing from the action weights in the article, that it wasn't much. I'll ask Kampfield about this, but not so sure that I would want to risk weakening the action. On the other hand, if it's ounces, and he thinks it's safe, then I might do it.
Wait a second, I need to look again. Is it in the top of the action? I'm already picking spruce or fir needles out of my fluted mountain ascent bolt/action all of the time, not that it has caused any issues. Never had a misfeed or anything because of the fluted bolt allowing debris in.
*edit. I'm not going to have the action milled for rigidity/harmonic considerations, as I hope to have a sub moa light weight. But, I'm no expert... I am going to have 2" cut off.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Somehow i missed those action cuts, thanks! I wonder how much weight they got from that, I'm guessing from the action weights in the article, that it wasn't much. I'll ask Kampfield about this, but not so sure that I would want to risk weakening the action. On the other hand, if it's ounces, and he thinks it's safe, then I might do it.
Wait a second, I need to look again. Is it in the top of the action? I'm already picking spruce or fir needles out of my fluted mountain ascent bolt/action all of the time, not that it has caused any issues. Never had a misfeed or anything because of the fluted bolt allowing debris in.
*edit. I'm not going to have the action milled for rigidity/harmonic considerations, as I hope to have a sub moa light weight. But, I'm no expert... I am going to have 2" cut off.
I had 4” cut off my Montana. It shoots sub MOA with my hand loads.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the Kimber bolt fluting in that article yielded ~ .5 oz saving; it was a full ounce on my M70 (push feed)

curious to hear on the barrel fluting :)

Trackselk

WKR
I think the Kimber bolt fluting in that article yielded ~ .5 oz saving; it was a full ounce on my M70 (push feed)

curious to hear on the barrel fluting :)
Did you notice the big cuts through the action? I probably read that article 3 times in the last year and finally zoomed in and noticed the cuts.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Did you notice the big cuts through the action? I probably read that article 3 times in the last year and finally zoomed in and noticed the cuts.

could you post the pic(s) you're talking about- evidently I missed them too :)

Found one in .308 for a good deal and took the plunge. Removing the gel took all of 10 minutes. I used an ice screw that you’d use to anchor down a pop-up ice fishing hut; pulled out both chunks without issue.

Attachments

• D17E1799-CA0A-473A-B2EF-E147488AAF55.jpeg
    D17E1799-CA0A-473A-B2EF-E147488AAF55.jpeg
    311.2 KB · Views: 86
  • 6BD29E4B-7682-4817-ADBE-40F77800F0D9.jpeg
    6BD29E4B-7682-4817-ADBE-40F77800F0D9.jpeg
    215.4 KB · Views: 85
  • D96EC498-AD85-4774-8FDA-3EBCE8A7F862.jpeg
    D96EC498-AD85-4774-8FDA-3EBCE8A7F862.jpeg
    246.4 KB · Views: 85

Unckebob

WKR
If I missed it, I apologize. What is the lightest way to mount a scope without going too flimsy?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Lightest? Talley ultralights or leupold back country. If you want something more substantial, I’d say warne 2 piece bases with the lightest pic rings you can find.

I run Talley Lwts on all my rifles, don't own any big magnums, but have found them to be great for medium calibers (up to .30-06 for me)