So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Trackselk

WKR
You'll enjoy that barrel length with a suppressor. I also think you'll get used to it and leave the suppressor on while hunting. Eventually it's just part of the rifle.
Thanks for the confidence, I'd just be worried about damaging the very thin fluted barrel. I'm about 50/50 on all of the sudden shots, and ones with plenty of time to install the can

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the confidence, I'd just be worried about damaging the very thin fluted barrel. I'm about 50/50 on all of the sudden shots, and ones with plenty of time to install the can
How would you damage the barrel? I have a silencer on my Kimber 308 and I havnt damaged my barrel.

So you’re going to carry a supressor around while you hunt and attach it before you shoot??? That would be ridiculous lol.
Maybe not so much. I could envision a horrible approach on a goat or sheep hunt, where theres tons of brush and difficult terrain, where it might be beneficial to have a 7" shorter barrel. Attach once in the alpine and in hunting terrain.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Maybe not so much. I could envision a horrible approach on a goat or sheep hunt, where theres tons of brush and difficult terrain, where it might be beneficial to have a 7" shorter barrel. Attach once in the alpine and in hunting terrain.
I guess I can see that. I’ve dragged a 22” Kimber with a 7” supressor through a some stuff that made things really unpleasant. That’s when I decided to stop horsing around and just get barrels cut and threaded properly.

Trackselk

WKR
I guess I can see that. I’ve dragged a 22” Kimber with a 7” supressor through a some stuff that made things really unpleasant. That’s when I decided to stop horsing around and just get barrels cut and threaded properly.
Thanks for the insights.
I pack in so far with a packstring (goat) that if I botched a barrel it would be at least 2 days of lost hunting, plus potentially leaving my buddy that flies in for 5 days a year in the backcountry solo. Scratch that, I'm going to again leave an extra rifle stashed near the trucks (started that last year) in case of a busted scope or barrel, then I only lose a day. All day hike there and back.
We also hunt where there is a crazy bunch of deadfall, but nothing like slick wet AK stuff where you slip often.
Are you saying you got the barrel cut down shorter and went the direct thread route? I was about to pull the trigger on a tbac ultra 7 gen 2 6.5 flavor, but I'm going to have to run an adapter with my 1/2" threads. Not sure if this means that I should get the barrel cut shorter and try to step up to 5/8 (after Kampfeld just installed his custom brake, rework $$, ouch) or if I should choose a different can that is direct thread to 1/2". Unless i'm misreading, the tbac in 1/2" (direct thread) is a 223 orifice. Really wanted that weight and performance though...

6.5x284

WKR
Well surprisingly I already have a package on the way back to me from Kampfeld, should be here Wednesday. Below is a pic pre-surgery, barreled action no bolt. Let’s see how much weight it loses.

Also while I have the 8.2 oz Leupold 1-4x20, I managed to snag a scope that never existed this weekend that I think I’m gonna have to throw on it. A Leica ER5 1.5-8x32. A few more oz but it should be a heck of a combo.
Tagging in to see the final weight and cost of flutes! I have a 280 AI MT I have prepped to send in to cut to 21.5" and potentially flute based off your outcome! I full length bedded the barrel like how my Fieldcraft and Forbes are and turned my MT into a tack driver.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Thanks for the insights.
I pack in so far with a packstring (goat) that if I botched a barrel it would be at least 2 days of lost hunting, plus potentially leaving my buddy that flies in for 5 days a year in the backcountry solo. Scratch that, I'm going to again leave an extra rifle stashed near the trucks (started that last year) in case of a busted scope or barrel, then I only lose a day. All day hike there and back.
We also hunt where there is a crazy bunch of deadfall, but nothing like slick wet AK stuff where you slip often.
Are you saying you got the barrel cut down shorter and went the direct thread route? I was about to pull the trigger on a tbac ultra 7 gen 2 6.5 flavor, but I'm going to have to run an adapter with my 1/2" threads. Not sure if this means that I should get the barrel cut shorter and try to step up to 5/8 (after Kampfeld just installed his custom brake, rework $$, ouch) or if I should choose a different can that is direct thread to 1/2". Unless i'm misreading, the tbac in 1/2" (direct thread) is a 223 orifice. Really wanted that weight and performance though...
Yes direct thread but I got my barrel flared and threaded for 5/8x24 so no adapters needed. A bunch of folks here have gone that route after seeing mine. I didnt want adapters or any weird crap on the barrel.

Trackselk

WKR
Yes direct thread but I got my barrel flared and threaded for 5/8x24 so no adapters needed. A bunch of folks here have gone that route after seeing mine. I didnt want adapters or any weird crap on the barrel.
Would I be able to run the brake he made me with an adapter for the next year or 2 (wait time for can) if I followed your route? Who did the flare, and will that work with a 19-20" barrel? I like the sound of that, and Kampfeld might be fluting the barrel as we speak (more rework potentially)😆 hmm, any idea if the flare will work on a aggressively helical fluted barrel?
Calling Kampfeld!

Trackselk

WKR
Ok, Karl advised me not to flute the thin barrel since I want to run a can on it, and I decided to cut 2 more inches off to make it handier and add some rigidity (now 18"). I followed your advice and he's flaring it to 5/8" 24. I still might run tbacs brake setup as they say it's 1-2 ounce lighter, which seems like a lot out there on the end of a kimber.
Are you running their "brake" or "direct thread" option. Sound like the brake is integral to the can, and doesn't add extra crap? I'm with you on the less stuff on there mission, so I'll go search for images to try and figure out exactly how this lighter "brake" attachment option looks compared to the typical direct thread.
Thanks again for chiming in!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Ok, Karl advised me not to flute the thin barrel since I want to run a can on it, and I decided to cut 2 more inches off to make it handier and add some rigidity (now 18"). I followed your advice and he's flaring it to 5/8" 24. I still might run tbacs brake setup as they say it's 1-2 ounce lighter, which seems like a lot out there on the end of a kimber.
Are you running their "brake" or "direct thread" option. Sound like the brake is integral to the can, and doesn't add extra crap? I'm with you on the less stuff on there mission, so I'll go search for images to try and figure out exactly how this lighter "brake" attachment option looks compared to the typical direct thread.
Thanks again for chiming in!
I have a direct thread TBAC 7 on order, from what I know the direct thread basically has their CB brake welded into it permanently. So unless I'm mistaken, they basically just weld the muzzle device to the suppressor which is why the DT is an ounce or so heavier than some of ther other tbac7 options.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Would I be able to run the brake he made me with an adapter for the next year or 2 (wait time for can) if I followed your route? Who did the flare, and will that work with a 19-20" barrel? I like the sound of that, and Kampfeld might be fluting the barrel as we speak (more rework potentially)😆 hmm, any idea if the flare will work on a aggressively helical fluted barrel?
Calling Kampfeld!
Shaen rifles did the work on my guns and its top quality work for sure. No reason you couldnt just use an adapter for awhile.

6.5x284

WKR
I have a direct thread TBAC 7 on order, from what I know the direct thread basically has their CB brake welded into it permanently. So unless I'm mistaken, they basically just weld the muzzle device to the suppressor which is why the DT is an ounce or so heavier than some of ther other tbac7 options.
That is correct (TBAC led me to believe it was an industrial hi-temp Rocksett type adhesive, not actual welds). They can change a DT to CB if the desire is ever there. But the weight is either in the can permanently or on the rifle permanently. Once the can is on the rifle, overall weight is the exact same.

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
So the only real advantage to the CB is there's a tiny amount of weld material saved, and you can maybe spare the barrels threads if you want to keep a large brake on the end of your rifle all of the time? I don't buy their better alignment claims, as threads can't be better than a squarely welded brake+can...

Trackselk

WKR
From what I read on another forum, looks like locktite between the CB and can gives you the same DT with a little less weight.
They said that from the dealer or manufacturer. Sounds like a good plan for me since I won't get it hot enough to melt the locktite

jpndave

FNG
I have been looking at the Banish Backcountry. Numbers are impressive for a mountain rifle and have heard good things about them. Depending on what they are weighing and measuring it looks to be lighter/shorter than the TBAC7. I'd like to be able to use it across my quiver of rifles.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Alright, lost a grand total of 2.05 oz lol, but it looks incredible and is now threaded. Scope was supposed to be here today but is running late, hopefully tomorrow so I can get it put together and hunt a bit with it before season goes out, got through Feb 10. Ordered a few boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo with 225 gr Barnes TSX's that will be here tomorrow too.

lOOUGDx.jpg

otc6b6l.jpg

6.5x284

WKR
Alright, lost a grand total of 2.05 oz lol, but it looks incredible and is now threaded. Scope was supposed to be here today but is running late, hopefully tomorrow so I can get it put together and hunt a bit with it before season goes out, got through Feb 10. Ordered a few boxes of Buffalo Bore ammo with 225 gr Barnes TSX's that will be here tomorrow too.
Looks great. Can you confirm the work done? That was just fluting and threading the muzzle, no shortening of the barrel or bolt?

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Looks great. Can you confirm the work done? That was just fluting and threading the muzzle, no shortening of the barrel or bolt?

That is correct, barrel was already shortened to 16.5" before hand. Bolt is not included in weights. The weight change for the barreled action was 2.05 oz fluting and threading the 16.5" barrel that had already been bored out to 358 Win.