So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
This is where I’m at right now with weight. I’m not interested in spending $100 an ounce to make it any lighter and this is certainly light enough. I will post pics soon.

Factory Rifle 87oz (5lbs 7oz)
Removal of gel -8.25oz
22 to 16 cut -5oz
Bare rifle 73.75oz (4lbs 9.75oz)
Scope 9oz
Talley rings 2oz
Suppressor 13oz
Spray Foam in stock .25oz
Total 97.75oz (6lbs 2oz)
You’d be easily under 6lbs with w lighter silencer.

But that’s a heavy investment for a few ounces like you pointed out.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Here’s mine. 6lb 4.4oz

I’m not doing anything to lighten it up at this point but eventually I’d like a hunter 6.5 to really chase the lightweight thing with.

Attachments

• E36B4F31-A493-45F5-9FC5-5827ECCBA429.jpeg
    E36B4F31-A493-45F5-9FC5-5827ECCBA429.jpeg
    698 KB · Views: 90

83cj-7

WKR
There aren’t many suppressors under a pound that still have good sound suppression. The Harvester is one of the quietest suppressors I have ever been around, and I’ve shot a lot of them.

Last edited:

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
There aren’t many suppressors under a pound that still have good sound suppression. The Harvester is one of the quietest suppressors I have ever been around, and I’ve shot a lot of them.
That’s cool, I guess for me the weight at the end of the barrel has been the biggest priority with silencers.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
So mines in the way to Kampfeld for fluting, and while I was excited about the 9.6oz 2.5-10 SWFA, I was a bit worried about the eye relief on a 4.5 lb 358 and still wanted more FOV. Was perusing the EE at AR15.com and found a Leupold VX-HOG 1-4x20. It’s 8.1 oz and Leupy is sending me blank turret covers so I don’t have to have the HOG ones lol. I also ordered a Yankee Hill Machine R9 suppressor last week for it. It’s 5” and 10oz, not the lightest but it was $300 and should knock down the blast a good bit.

jpndave

FNG
Thanks. Now to figure how light I can get a Montana and how much it’ll cost me. Maybe I should just go with the mountain ascent
The WSM and all magnums are on the 8400 action which is more full REM 700 size and weight. I have a 8400 short and long Montana here destined to be 6.5 and 7mm PRC respectively. Also no gel to pull from a Montana stock. I'll try and get photos next to a 84m for reference when I get a chance.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Well surprisingly I already have a package on the way back to me from Kampfeld, should be here Wednesday. Below is a pic pre-surgery, barreled action no bolt. Let’s see how much weight it loses.

Also while I have the 8.2 oz Leupold 1-4x20, I managed to snag a scope that never existed this weekend that I think I’m gonna have to throw on it. A Leica ER5 1.5-8x32. A few more oz but it should be a heck of a combo.

1878F28E-3897-484E-A3C0-16F7CC4E1BC7.jpeg

Trackselk

WKR
Nice! He has mine threaded as of yesterday with a removable brake that I'll use banging steel in the mountains. I'm finally going to go down the suppressor gauntlet. You all think I'll regret the 20" barrel? I'll only use it at the range and if I have the time to slap it on before shooting animals. I wanted to keep the rifle shooting close to my b&c reticle graduations. I've got some hot (faster) reloads to help match the scope from a friend😀

Raghornjp

FNG
Well surprisingly I already have a package on the way back to me from Kampfeld, should be here Wednesday. Below is a pic pre-surgery, barreled action no bolt. Let’s see how much weight it loses.

Also while I have the 8.2 oz Leupold 1-4x20, I managed to snag a scope that never existed this weekend that I think I’m gonna have to throw on it. A Leica ER5 1.5-8x32. A few more oz but it should be a heck of a combo.

View attachment 504938
Interesting read
Thanks for posting and all the info

Sled

WKR
Nice! He has mine threaded as of yesterday with a removable brake that I'll use banging steel in the mountains. I'm finally going to go down the suppressor gauntlet. You all think I'll regret the 20" barrel? I'll only use it at the range and if I have the time to slap it on before shooting animals. I wanted to keep the rifle shooting close to my b&c reticle graduations. I've got some hot (faster) reloads to help match the scope from a friend😀

You'll enjoy that barrel length with a suppressor. I also think you'll get used to it and leave the suppressor on while hunting. Eventually it's just part of the rifle.