So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I run Talley Lwts on all my rifles, don't own any big magnums, but have found them to be great for medium calibers (up to .30-06 for me)
I think I’m down to just 2 rifles with talley lightweights, for awhile all my guns had them but now they are on a Kimber Montana 308 and a Kimber mountain ascent 300wm. I’ve never personally seen a pair break but there are enough stories about it that I’m starting to consider alternatives.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
if I had a .300 WM I might consider something a little beefier, .308 mine hasn't seen any issues with a lot of rounds (and miles)

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
if I had a .300 WM I might consider something a little beefier, .308 mine hasn't seen any issues with a lot of rounds (and miles)
I actually just bought a leupold backcountry rail for the 300wm since it was on sale for like 22 dollars. I was thinking I’d put warne mountain tech rings on it and just eat the weight since it’s still going to just be a hair over 8lbs with the rail/rings and trijicon tenmile 3-18. Not the lightest rifle out there but it’s a 300 win mag so it dosent really need to be.

My Montana 308 is like 5lb 9oz with talley lightweights, leupold 2.5-8x38, titanium bolt handle and the barrel has been shortened to 18” and threaded for 5/8x24. I do plan on getting a hunter in 6.5 and doing all the tricks to it to get it as light as possible.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
My Montana 308 is like 5lb 9oz with talley lightweights, leupold 2.5-8x38, titanium bolt handle and the barrel has been shortened to 18” and threaded for 5/8x24. I do plan on getting a hunter in 6.5 and doing all the tricks to it to get it as light as possible.

Mine is very close to that weight (5# 11 oz) as well (barrel shortened to 19" w/ 2-7x33) :)

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mine is the now discontinued FireDot w/ the LR reticle; not sure why Leupold doesn't use that reticle more????

Trackselk

WKR
My hunter is packed up and ready to head off to Kampfeld for fluting (bolt&barrel). Also cutting 2" off and adding one of his brakes for the range. What I can't decide on is whether or not I get it cerakoted. I've never had a problem with my other stainless guns with corrosion, and I've already spent way too much on this gun (mpi stock...). What do you all think? I really wish I knew what it weighs (shush you non weight weenies, this is an ultralight thread😛).

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
definitely keep us posted; I'll be curious what he has in mind for the bolt as most shops won't flute a controlled round feed

our (Kimber) barrels are relative light contour, not sure how aggressive they can be starting with relatively light stock??????

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Check this out. I assume this is Kampfelds aggressive spiral fluting, looks pretty narly.
View attachment 491543

That’s what I’m having him do to mine. I have another rifle like that already.

ySl8noh.jpg

Trackselk

WKR
definitely keep us posted; I'll be curious what he has in mind for the bolt as most shops won't flute a controlled round feed

our (Kimber) barrels are relative light contour, not sure how aggressive they can be starting with relatively light stock??????
Screenshot_20221224-093015_Chrome.jpgI think this is how the bolt will look. Good point on the barrel, not sure if he has dealt with the thin kimber profiles before.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
That looks like a push feed in the pic, if he can do that with a control feed I’ll definitely be sending mine in :D

Also look at the pic posted above- if you’re sending in the entire action he might be able to do the same two small grooves in the action at the same time

Trackselk

WKR
That looks like a push feed in the pic, if he can do that with a control feed I’ll definitely be sending mine in :D

Also look at the pic posted above- if you’re sending in the entire action he might be able to do the same two small grooves in the action at the same time
His site mentions remington bolts, and I thought they were the same style? I asked him about those slots in the action, and didn't sound like he was interested, but I was apprehensive about it anyhow. If you requested it, he would probably do it. I decided to leave mine as is, as I'm happy with my 5lb 2oz (estimated) with the 13oz loopy scope. Basically same recoil as my 6lb .308 Ascent, which I can handle. Also, don't want more tree parts in the action than I already have.
He thought it would be less than an ounce also. Too much risk for me (harmonics) for the small reward.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
700s are push feed, the Kimber's are control feed. There is a pic floating around where a smith in Alaska did some bolt work on a Kimber- he used straight flutes on it

Yeah not tons of weight savings left after one shortens the barrel a little, removes the "gel" and adds a Ti bolt handle :)

Trackselk

WKR
700s are push feed, the Kimber's are control feed. There is a pic floating around where a smith in Alaska did some bolt work on a Kimber- he used straight flutes on it

Yeah not tons of weight savings left after one shortens the barrel a little, removes the "gel" and adds a Ti bolt handle :)
Yeah, I REALLY wish kimber would sell the Ascent bolts to be fitted by a gunsmith. But, I can see why the liability issues would keep them from doing it. Also, looks like it's not profitable to do any custom work, so I think we're SOL on any parts that weren't original.
I wonder if they'd sell a bolt to a gunsmith?

83cj-7

WKR
Following to see how much weight Karl gets out or your barrel. Isn’t it crazy how much some of us will spend to lose a couple ounces from a rifle? When you start figuring up dollar per ounce, it gets scary!

Here is where I’m at:
EC54BE4B-C84F-4DCF-A20A-9AABB26485A9.jpeg
4lbs 9.75oz without the Talley rings.
A8FD75FA-A562-41D0-A92E-AA57E47F7A1A.jpeg
With a 9oz scope and 0.5oz of spray foam in the stock. Pretty darn light. It will be 6lbs 3oz with my suppressor.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Following to see how much weight Karl gets out or your barrel. Isn’t it crazy how much some of us will spend to lose a couple ounces from a rifle? When you start figuring up dollar per ounce, it gets scary!

Here is where I’m at:
View attachment 491812
4lbs 9.75oz without the Talley rings.
View attachment 491813
With a 9oz scope and 0.5oz of spray foam in the stock. Pretty darn light. It will be 6lbs 3oz with my suppressor.

Nice. What foam did you use? I'm thinking about filling mine up