So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

Trackselk

WKR
I just wanted to share that I dropped .9 ounces off my homemade sling by changing my heavy digi camo 1" webbing to some lightweight 1" in olive drab. I also saved .5 ounces by eliminating the quake composite swivels. I replaced them with a little bit of milspec 550 paracord. Pretty cheap weight loss... I hope this helps.
See link for webbing:

Trackselk

WKR
Might have found some more potential weight loss, or, at least I haven't seen it mentioned elsewhere (might have missed it).
-talking with the gunsmith Kampfield in N. Idaho, he mention a faster/tighter spiral fluting option for maximum weight loss. No idea how much more weight, but I'm going to find out.

Anyone else know anything about this, or an educated guess on how much additional weight loss this might obtain?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
No educated guess, but looking forward to what you find :)

I was also thinking for maximum weight loss, fluting the bolt. I know on my M70 it shaved about 1-1.5 oz, probably less on a Kimber bolt.

Trackselk

WKR

I was also thinking for maximum weight loss, fluting the bolt. I know on my M70 it shaved about 1-1.5 oz, probably less on a Kimber bolt.
Nice, he's going to flute the bolt also, so hopefully I can distinguish between the two. Probably have him cerakote it too, so might be tough to tell, but at least I'll have a total weight. Cutting the barrel to 20" also, making it even harder. I'll ask him if he can do a before and after weight on the fluting.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice, he's going to flute the bolt also, so hopefully I can distinguish between the two. Probably have him cerakote it too, so might be tough to tell, but at least I'll have a total weight. Cutting the barrel to 20" also, making it even harder. I'll ask him if he can do a before and after weight on the fluting.

good deal; that would be great if he could weigh it before/after weigh :)

jpndave

FNG

I would be careful fluting the bolt on a CRF like the Kimber. The extractor can ride on the flutes and you may feel it cycling the action in addition to riding over rounds in the magazine. Not saying don't do it necessarily, just make sure you go in with both eyes open. Here is a writeup with weights on one that might prove useful.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Someone ended up purchasing a Mountain Ascent bolt which is fluted from the factory; I can’t find anything on Kimber’s site on how to buy parts however. I think they said $90, which is what a gunsmith would charge (maybe less)

jpndave

FNG
Someone ended up purchasing a Mountain Ascent bolt which is fluted from the factory; I can’t find anything on Kimber’s site on how to buy parts however. I think they said $90, which is what a gunsmith would charge (maybe less)
I bought one from the guy on this thread and it it nice, It is on the rifle I have posted here before. I need to grab some more for a couple of other rifles I have picked up. Mine is just the regular Ti-84 with hollow end but not fluted. Regular is Ti one is $50 and Ascent $75

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
I bought one from the guy on this thread and it it nice, It is on the rifle I have posted here before. I need to grab some more for a couple of other rifles I have picked up. Mine is just the regular Ti-84 with hollow end but not fluted. Regular is Ti one is $50 and Ascent $75

Hmm, I guess this is a different guy than the one that makes the ti + carbon ones? The one i got has a ti handle with a carbon fiber knob. I assumed there was only one 24hrcampfire guy. ???
As for complete bolts, kimber customer service told me they won't sell ascent bolts, ascent fluted barrels etc

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"

I got a mountain ascent bolt for my Montana from that guy like ~ 5-6 years ago. It’s been great.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member

I've got the ti bolt handle, I'm thinking about a the bolt itself fluted- ala the Mountain Ascent bolt

jpndave

FNG
I've got the ti bolt handle, I'm thinking about a the bolt itself fluted- ala the Mountain Ascent bolt
I miss read that last night - apologies. Read this - especially the part at the end. Kimbers don't have the "bump" so maybe they would consider doing it? My CNC knee mill could theoretically do the fluting but I don't think it's worth all the fixtures/rotary head. The main hiccups are the fixed ejector like they detail and the extractor rotation on the bolt.

If enough would be interested they may do a "group buy" for fluting. It might be more enticing if they can set up and run a dozen+ bolts at once. I like the wrought iron look best personally. I have up to 8 of of the 84M bolts (mine and buddies) and 1 ea 8400 short and long bolts I'd consider having done if they will do it and pricing is good. If too much $ might just be a couple.

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I'd be interested as well, although my kimber already feels like a toy gun when I pick it up since being so light, and I havne't even dug out the gel!

Trackselk

WKR
Have any of you drilled out the trigger guard yet? Might save a gram or 2.
That's where I drew the line. Temping to drill it out with my drill press, maybe I will, but I'd probably butcher it. Not paying kampfield for 2 grams out of 5 lbs...
*that would be 88 ten thousandths of the total rifle weight lol

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
That's where I drew the line. Temping to drill it out with my drill press, maybe I will, but I'd probably butcher it. Not paying kampfield for 2 grams out of 5 lbs...
*that would be 88 ten thousandths of the total rifle weight lol
Yeah it wouldn’t do much. There were pics here of one of luke moffats rifles that had a drilled out trigger guard.