So, how light can a Kimber Hunter be? A build thread.

JonnyB

WKR
I’ve got a mountain ascent in a montana stock that I have been eyeballing every time I open the safe. Luke started my wheels turning on that rifle with his featherweight build. Been thinking about doing 338 federal though but I love the idea of 358 as well. I really didn’t want to start another project but… haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JonnyB

WKR
Your rifle looks fantastic by the way. It could pass for factory based on the pictures

ElPollo

WKR
That’s a neat looking little beastie. How is the muzzle flash and recoil with the 358? My first bolt gun when I was a kid was a 18.5” 243 that I called the “fire-breathing dragon”. It would throw a 2-foot diameter fireball every time you touched it off. Also, does the stock make a lot of noise without the filler? Have you been tempted to add expanding foam to it to deaden the sound? Anyway, great job on it. Hope you fill your freezer with it this fall.

BigWoods

WKR
That’s a neat looking little beastie. How is the muzzle flash and recoil with the 358? My first bolt gun when I was a kid was a 18.5” 243 that I called the “fire-breathing dragon”. It would throw a 2-foot diameter fireball every time you touched it off. Also, does the stock make a lot of noise without the filler? Have you been tempted to add expanding foam to it to deaden the sound? Anyway, great job on it. Hope you fill your freezer with it this fall.
With nothing in the stock, it was a bit loud. I stuffed closed cell foam in mine to quiet it down and have been happy with it since.

I’ve got a mountain ascent in a montana stock that I have been eyeballing every time I open the safe. Luke started my wheels turning on that rifle with his featherweight build. Been thinking about doing 338 federal though but I love the idea of 358 as well. I really didn’t want to start another project but… haha

The 338 Fed is pretty sweet. I just had an Adirondack re chambered and barreled in that caliber. Good factory ammo available for it as well.
fb2a4c098d3063d43f13fd089529826e.jpg

robtattoo

WKR
20210115_195359.jpg
I'm a huge fan of the .358 I'm fairly recently converted (put this together 4 years ago) but I'm 100% certain that if I had to sell all but 1 of my guns, it'd be the one I keep! It just seems like the perfect fit for a shorter barreled rifle, even a lightweight. This 700 comes in a C-hair shy of 7lb & the recoil impulse is far more pleasant than you'd expect. I'm shooting Speer 220s in the mid 2500fps range & the recoil is much closer to my .62 flintlock than my .308. It's a slower, steadier push; not at all sharp & violent.

In my mind, it's the ideal under 500yd caliber.

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Took mine to the range this weekend, burned through too much ammo trying to hit an 8" steel plate at 425 yards with no success lol, was all over it about a dozen shots but no ding. Little tough with the 1.5-5 scope ha. My shoulder made me quit.

ZLwiEyD.jpg

Took mine to the range this weekend, burned through too much ammo trying to hit an 8" steel plate at 425 yards with no success lol, was all over it about a dozen shots but no ding. Little tough with the 1.5-5 scope ha. My shoulder made me quit.

I had a Nightforce NX8 1-8 on my little 338 Fed, so similar setup to yours. I felt it struggled at 400 plus yards, mostly due to the reticle, but partly to the low magnification as well. I ended up putting that 2.5-10 on there, just so that it was more versatile.

Barreled action is on the was to JES, supposed to get there Monday. Decided to do fore end surgery tonight. Pre surgery:

View attachment 249855

Post surgery, pre-sanding:

View attachment 249857

Apologize for side way pics btw...

Didn’t lose a ton of weight, probably net another 0.05oz after sanding later I’d guess. But, it will make it look a little less crazy with the 16.5” barrel ha.
I think the proper term is “stock circumcision”

Dig the project!

Trackselk

WKR
Thanks for the write-up! These uber light builds have me inspired to build a 6.5 CM that's lighter than my .308 kimber MA specifically for deer out to 600 yards (if conditions are perfect).
My ascent is my elk gun, and it shoots .33 MOA, and kicks enough as is with a loopy 3x9 ultralight, so I'm not going to mess with something that shoots that well.

So, I have a few questions for you all. What's the best platform to start with for this? Do you gain any significant weight loss and accuracy by starting with a Montana vs the hunter? I'd like to have 1/2 moa for 600 yards as I don't like taking chances, or want to make sure it's a relatively easy shot.
I could start another thread, but figured that after a few months of inactivity, this thread made sense.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
The Montana in 6.5 weighs 5# 2 oz, the Hunter 5# 9 oz

same actions, same barrel lengths- remove the 8 oz of gel (about 30 minutes of work) from the Hunter and you're at the same weight

OP
ChrisAU

ChrisAU

WKR
Thanks for the write-up! These uber light builds have me inspired to build a 6.5 CM that's lighter than my .308 kimber MA specifically for deer out to 600 yards (if conditions are perfect).
My ascent is my elk gun, and it shoots .33 MOA, and kicks enough as is with a loopy 3x9 ultralight, so I'm not going to mess with something that shoots that well.

So, I have a few questions for you all. What's the best platform to start with for this? Do you gain any significant weight loss and accuracy by starting with a Montana vs the hunter? I'd like to have 1/2 moa for 600 yards as I don't like taking chances, or want to make sure it's a relatively easy shot.
I could start another thread, but figured that after a few months of inactivity, this thread made sense.

When they are building the rifles they grab actions and barrels from the same bin whether it be a Montana or a Hunter. Cost difference is all in the stock, barrel threading, and with a few models the fluted bolt.

Trackselk

WKR
The Montana in 6.5 weighs 5# 2 oz, the Hunter 5# 9 oz

same actions, same barrel lengths- remove the 8 oz of gel (about 30 minutes of work) from the Hunter and you're at the same weight
Thanks, Both of you! Sounds like the hunter is the way to go then. I just plan mostly on the big ticket weight items. I wonder if fluting ever affects accuracy?

Unckebob

WKR
Thanks, Both of you! Sounds like the hunter is the way to go then. I just plan mostly on the big ticket weight items. I wonder if fluting ever affects accuracy?

If you want a threaded barrel, get the hunter pro. It allows you to run a brake if you want.

Last edited:

Trackselk

WKR
Well, I went off the deep end and ordered a new hunter 6.5CM, and got my place in line paid for for the lighest stock MPI makes. Thanks for the brake suggestion, but I'm not a fan of them. I never use the one on my MA, but it's not fun to shoot either.
I'm going to start with the stock, and then go from there. I'm going to keep the full length barrel for reaching out there, as I find my MA pretty handy at about the same length. Hopefully I can get under 5lbs with my heavy 6x swfa (20 ounces), without spending a fortune. Although just the stalk and rifle were about $2100, prices are up there currently I guess. Maybe I can sell the factory stock for a little recoup of funds.
Crazy question, can my .308 MA bolt fit my 6.5 hunter? I'm guessing it's a dumb question, and when the 6.5 arrives it's an easy check.
Fluting sounds risky, but I wonder how much weight I can lose?
Really looking forward to the 6.5CM ft/lbs way out there with high BC bullets. My .308 would not be fun with no brake and the bigger bullets. Luckily it loves factory 150 grain barnes

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
You might want to weigh that Hunter stock before spending money on a aftermarket one. Also keep in mind that you can lose an additional 8 oz out of the stock with 20 minutes of your time.

There is a guy on 24hourcampfire that was selling titanium bolt handles that shaves a little weight.