Silencerco Scythe TI review

Wiscgunner

Lil-Rokslider
Is a suppressor cover essential for a hunting rifle? I am still waiting on my Scythe, so I haven’t tried it yet. I am not interested in being tactical or camouflaged. I just want to know if I am going to need a cover for a suppressor if I rarely expect to fire more than a few 5-shot groups to confirm zero and then use it for hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Required? No, Necessary? Yes.
My buddy didn't think he needed one on his Scythe because he built a hunting rifle and wouldn't be shooting it that much (first time suppressor user). With the Scythe being a tubeless design, it heats up VERY quickly and mirage becomes very bad very quickly. He found out it was a huge pain in the butt to get anything done at the range because he spent 90% of the time getting the can to cool off. The good news is being a tubeless design it cools down much quicker than my traditional tubed titanium suppressor. With a mirage cover is doesn't get pretty bad until after 3-5rnds of 7PRC in a 22" Proof CF barrel on a 90degree day. It was certainly a case of shooting 3 rnd group then switching rifles.

Last edited:
Recommendations as to which one would be useful? I don’t want a piece of junk, but I also don’t want to break the bank.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Recommendations as to which one would be useful? I don’t want a piece of junk, but I also don’t want to break the bank.

For a commerical cover I got a can chaps I like, has a silicone type material on the inside and 3 straps, vs a bunch of cord wrapped around it.

For my can in jail currently I'm going to try the carbon felt welding blanket route folks have discussed.

Bigwilly556

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered one of these for my Scythe's. At $26 I'm willing to give them a try. You cut them to size so I'm hoping to get two out of one. I have burn proof gear and Armageddon gear covers as well both are very nice.

I haven't used a commercial cover, but I've very much enjoyed the single wrap of 6mm carbon felt covered with a wrap of coban. I can get through quite a few rounds pretty quickly.... Probably only need to let it cool after 7-8 shots of a 243 at 75F