SD Snows

Lots of Flu birds walking around or laying dead in fields. 3 different reports just from guys I know in the Dakotas right now. Birds strung out to Arkansas (juvies) even the main push of adults seem to be more scattered right now in ND. Next weeks warm up should start another push....I would assume guys that put miles in and find the small pockets of juvies are going to have a blast.

I didn't even know that "flu birds" were a thing. That's too bad. I hope we can get lucky and still get in on some action.

I didn't even know that "flu birds" were a thing. That's too bad. I hope we can get lucky and still get in on some action.
Hahaha yeah the bird flu is hitting pretty hard right now...not like whole flocks are dying but definately birds unable to leave the roost or even get up after feeding.

Back when I had the fever, depending on the weather year I used to plan on platte River NE around March 10, I-90 sodak around April 1 and Nodak April 20-may 10. Weather and snowpack obviously can have a huge impact but the birds are often way more spread out than we think. Those were usually my planning dates as a starting point.

That leading edge can be impressive to see but is like beating your head against a wall for decoying. Can guys even get enough ammo anymore to really lay into them?

I have been lucky enough to find some ammo, and I had some saved up. I hope I get to use it all :)

Here in SD now. About 1/3 numbers as usual. Hunting will be tough. Expect to sit all day and shoot singles to get any numbers. Mix of juvis and adults. Lots of Ross's, which is slightly weird. This is prob not the year to go if you are one and done.

I got friends guiding and they are beating up on them pretty good and with the geese spread out i can see it getting better in the next few weeks.

We had a good hunt. The first day we shot twenty birds, ten the second, and six in half a day on the third hunt. The first day was rainy, the second day was sunny and windy, and the third day was a mix. I enjoyed the hunt and will do it again.

We had a good hunt. The first day we shot twenty birds, ten the second, and six in half a day on the third hunt. The first day was rainy, the second day was sunny and windy, and the third day was a mix. I enjoyed the hunt and will do it again.
Those are good days chasing the white devils. Every one sees the big number days and think thats the norm but a 20 bird day is damn good. Who did you go with

It's a tough game to play chasing the white devils, but a fun one! We went with Snow Goose Commander.

Went out to one of the Dakotas last week and hunted two full days leaving the spread up over night after each full day and hunting it the next morning for only 2-3 hours then picking it up when the initial morning push ended. just 2 guns

Killed 38 1st full day...16 the next morning
Killed 48 2nd full day...20 the following morning

could not believe how many geese were just laying dead or wondering around sloughs and fields from the flu. Without hesitation we saw HUNDREDS and only covered about 45 or 50 miles of roads since we know the area well enough and the birds were there.

In my part of the state we have not seen any dead birds yet but it seems as more pushed east this year than the last few years. The amount of honkers i cant wait for august to get here the resident population is strong

In my part of the state we have not seen any dead birds yet but it seems as more pushed east this year than the last few years. The amount of honkers i cant wait for august to get here the resident population is strong
It was kinds of weird...LOTS of dead snows...didn't see one Canada, Speck, Duck, or other bird that appeared sick or dead.

Back