Arizona late rifle bull elk hunt

Kopmana

FNG
Hello Folks,

Just looked at my draw results for Arizona elk, looks like 3 of us finally drew Bull tags in Arizona for the late rifle hunt! Hunt dates this year are 11/29-12/5. This will be my first elk Hunt in Arizona, but I am not new to elk hunting, I've also never stepped foot in our Unit. Curious what the Late hunt is Like? Will be driving down from South Dakota, and hope to be in the unit 3-4 days before opener to look around and get camp setup. Any info is appreciated!

Attachments

• Arizona Elk Draw Results.PNG
    Arizona Elk Draw Results.PNG
    10.6 KB · Views: 316
Last edited:

cstab

FNG
I think I have that same tag. I need to go back and look at my portal. About in the same boat as you. Coming from Texas. Hoping to make a summer scouting trip but time from work may not allow for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
I think I have that same tag. I need to go back and look at my portal. About in the same boat as you. Coming from Texas. Hoping to make a summer scouting trip but time from work may not allow for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cool, congrats on the draw! yeah Im not sure what to expect yet. Hoping we can at least find a few elk somewhere that are not bothered.

What unit did you get. That will determine a lot.
Typically, late hunts are tough. The elk have been chased pretty hard for 2 months already, but it can still be done. I shot a nice 6x6 a couple of years ago in 4B but it was the only elk we saw all week. We were drawn for late rifle 3a/3c this year. (Total shyte house luck!) I'm pretty excited to hunt that unit.

Drew a late tag years ago. I had a good unit but the bulls were very scattered and in isolated places.
Shot a 6 x 6 but it was a difficult hunt and we searched a lot. The bigger Bulls had retreated deep after the rut.
Not a bad hunt but nothing like the early rifle hunts in AZ

Beendare

WKR
I've helped a buddy [James Fleming- instagram] with his guide business on that late hunt. We slayed them....while every other hunter we talked to on the road never saw an elk.

You just have to know how to hunt it....it's pretty obvious what you have to do- get off the road for one.

Eastcoasthunter94

Lil-Rokslider
I had a late season Bull tag last year in a below average unit and shot a spike on the 2nd day. I told myself I was gonna shoot the first Bull I saw. No regrets. Saw a lot of vehicles on the roads. A lot of Arizona units have tons of roads so expect to see people driving. It also snowed so be prepared for that. I used the snow to my advantage and sat on a ridge with a ton of fresh tracks. When a small herd came by I took the only bull in the group and my hunt was done.

dantana

FNG
find a few spots on the map that your not willing to go to (literally). Bulls will be in the scary spots. Lots of roads, lots of sxs's, get ready to work hard and you'll be fine

Elkmagnet

FNG
I had a late AZ tag a few years ago. It was a tough hunt due to no snow. Bulls this time of the year don't move a lot as they are in recovery mode. My advice is to glass from the ridge tops in the deep nasty country. I did harvest a nice 6x6 but on day seven of the hunt.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
Drew a late tag years ago. I had a good unit but the bulls were very scattered and in isolated places.
Shot a 6 x 6 but it was a difficult hunt and we searched a lot. The bigger Bulls had retreated deep after the rut.
Not a bad hunt but nothing like the early rifle hunts in AZ
Thanks for the insight, Im pumped to give it a try and to glass some of the canyon country.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
What unit did you get. That will determine a lot.
Typically, late hunts are tough. The elk have been chased pretty hard for 2 months already, but it can still be done. I shot a nice 6x6 a couple of years ago in 4B but it was the only elk we saw all week. We were drawn for late rifle 3a/3c this year. (Total shyte house luck!) I'm pretty excited to hunt that unit.
I put a pic of my hunt # at top of post, hope that helps, just trying to keep the unit number off this post, so its not internet searchable. Rugged unit with lots of canyon country.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
I've helped a buddy [James Fleming- instagram] with his guide business on that late hunt. We slayed them....while every other hunter we talked to on the road never saw an elk.

You just have to know how to hunt it....it's pretty obvious what you have to do- get off the road for one.

Good to hear! I look forward to getting in Deep and putting the glass to work, Im not afraid of working hard either. Ill check out your buddies IG page! thanks for the intel!

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
find a few spots on the map that your not willing to go to (literally). Bulls will be in the scary spots. Lots of roads, lots of sxs's, get ready to work hard and you'll be fine
Nice, yeah thats what i am expecting. I have no problems with burning some boot leather, and packing heavy loads up out of a canyon if need be.

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
I had a late AZ tag a few years ago. It was a tough hunt due to no snow. Bulls this time of the year don't move a lot as they are in recovery mode. My advice is to glass from the ridge tops in the deep nasty country. I did harvest a nice 6x6 but on day seven of the hunt.
Good to know, congrats on the Bull! I'm pumped to get in there and work the country over. Thanks for the advise. Does it pay to spike/bivy camp, or is it effective enough to day hunt it?

OP
K

Kopmana

FNG
I had a late season Bull tag last year in a below average unit and shot a spike on the 2nd day. I told myself I was gonna shoot the first Bull I saw. No regrets. Saw a lot of vehicles on the roads. A lot of Arizona units have tons of roads so expect to see people driving. It also snowed so be prepared for that. I used the snow to my advantage and sat on a ridge with a ton of fresh tracks. When a small herd came by I took the only bull in the group and my hunt was done.
congrats on the Bull, Hey, if a spike is what you were fine with, then i would call that a win! They taste pretty good too! Thanks for the intel, i know what to expect now. Ill take tire chains etc.

Elkmagnet

FNG
Good to know, congrats on the Bull! I'm pumped to get in there and work the country over. Thanks for the advise. Does it pay to spike/bivy camp, or is it effective enough to day hunt it?
You could bivy hunt but I wouldn't. On my late November hunt temps were down to zero at night. Also remember not much daylight that time of year. I think that would make for a very long cold night.