Chugach sheep hunt 24

I’ve only hunted sheep in the chugach once. Took crampons. Never even thought about using them. It’s all rock…and steep.

We would have needed rope…a set of cams…a few slings before crampons haha!

Glacier crossings were fine with boots and poles no worries even loaded heavy…just cross at the toe in basins. Dont cross up high.

Oh and bring an extra set of leather gloves to leave at your base camp…wore through my first pair 6 or 7 days in.

kaboku68

WKR
With that tag I am going to tell you something that you might think that I am crazy but it is what I would do. I would go visit Dan Montgomery and take out a loan for 10K for doing all of the flying and support for your hunt. You might think that this is out of line but it would be worth it for you. He would not be your air taxi but would be your hunting support system. He might not personally guide you but he would give you the real skinny on where the rams would be and then would provide Hank or Mike Gray to get your sheep out of the rocks if it was in a place where a normal human might struggle.

chizelhead

Lil-Rokslider
Those would probably be a great option for goats. A ‘lite’ crampon.
Also the Grivel Explorers that GoatBoat mentioned look like a worthy alternative to Microspikes.
Microspikes are the model of Kahtoola, not to be confused with the myriad of other crappy traction devices out there.
I use either Kahtoola Microspikes or Camp Aluminum Crampons.
Petzel Leopards work well.

OP
ScottP

ScottP

WKR
With that tag I am going to tell you something that you might think that I am crazy but it is what I would do. I would go visit Dan Montgomery and take out a loan for 10K for doing all of the flying and support for your hunt. You might think that this is out of line but it would be worth it for you. He would not be your air taxi but would be your hunting support system. He might not personally guide you but he would give you the real skinny on where the rams would be and then would provide Hank or Mike Gray to get your sheep out of the rocks if it was in a place where a normal human might struggle.
That is not crazy, but also not exactly my cup of tea so to speak. However, I should be able to log some flying hours ahead of time to inform my decision on where to focus.

chasewild

WKR
A good friend and I brought Microspikes last year in the off chance we needed them on my sheep hunt. 49 miles in, we put them on to come down a glacier. For a variety of reasons, and I won't belabor them here, we could not "go around" the glacier. Slope was 29-33 degrees on ice. Returning the way we came would have effectively ended the hunt because it was day 6 of 10 and we would need at least one more day to get into the valley. So we edged onto the ice.

Spikes had no grip for either of us. I self arrested with a whippet, my partner slid to the start of a snow bridge that luckily held. This year I'm going back. I won't be doing the same route, but I certainly won't be using microspikes.

Everyone has their "things" that they won't skimp on. For example, I also like knowing that my shelter can say "f*ck you" to just about anything. If my head is screwed on right, and I'm in a new place, crampons can get me to safety.

I also applied for this unit. I would bring crampons since it would be my first time in that country.

Last edited:
Hello fellow sheep enthusiasts-

I was super fortunate to draw DS165. Have to admit, I'm a pretty new AK resident and this will be my first real dall's hunt. I have a couple of questions for anyone that's done this hunt (or similar) before.

- Timing -- Aug 10 - Sept 20 is the season, any reason to get in the 'race' for Aug 10 opener? I'm very flexible with my hunt dates. I'm flying with Meekin, and a couple of the days before Aug 10 were already full by noon of the draw result day. haha. So I haven't picked a date as I was also getting a hunting partner in place. But I have no concept of how the sheep are distributed in this massive area - so can't really anticipate how hunters are generally distributed out there either.

- Crampons or microspikes? I have hill sound microspikes, wondering if those are sufficient.

- Lightweight hip waders? What's the thought on these, useful or better to pull boots and cross in crocs?

Any other advice happily accepted. DM is fine too if you prefer. My gear is pretty dialed for a week+ hunt via super cub, so in that department I'm probably ok given it's only February.
for what it’s worth the lightest strap on crampon on the market is the petzl leopard fl, but you can’t use it on mixed, they don’t have anti bailing, and you probably don’t even need them. if you’re worried get a stubai ice axe from barneys and they will stop you in a slip.