Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

elkyinzer

WKR
Seems reasonable. I think it's good to have these perspectives out there in the hunting community. The "strength in numbers" argument alone is way overly simplistic and narrow minded. It ain't how the world works. I like this DDD approach better than RRR which is purely driven by the industries' desire to bolster falling revenues. It's really a more honest look at the situation. I think by hanging our collective hats on RRR we are just burying our head in the sand as to the true conditions of the moment and how they project going forward.

I've said for years the vaunted North American Model is dead or dying, at least as it was intended. Primarily greed killed it. I fall in the camp that humans will be humans and there's nothing we can do to fix problems caused by our very nature.

ODB

WKR
Called the “dunning Kruger effect” they are high on top of Mount stupid.
746860dd0464d718b90b0c4d5aaab70b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s a great chart. The legendary professional hunter and co-founder of The equally legendary Ker and Downey Safaris, Syd Downey, once said there are three stages to a hunter:

1) You think you know everything but in fact you know nothing;

2) You realize you know nothing at all;

3) You realize you know a bit, but will never know it all.

Pretty much squares up with the chart.

Stumbled across this Facebook page today from Steven Rinella's brother, Matt.

If the above link doesn't work, just search for 'Rinella DDD' on Facebook.

For those of you without a Facebook, the guts are below:

Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

Selfishly, a part of me wishes this would gain some traction....

Thoughts?
I'm sure it won't be popular, but I kind of support this completely. I think 95% of Outdoors TV shows, and the Instragrams queens who get propped in front of the camera to pose with a giant buck they "hunted" have done far more to hurt hunting than anything.

sasquatch

WKR
Why can’t people just go hunting anymore. It’s fun and that’s all the reason you need. I like the premise behind the movement, but it’s a giant can of worms!
People have no real social life anymore. They severely lack purpose and live in caves. Therefore they make up this void with Instagram and Facebook friends and validation

I do think the average age of hunters was prob over 50 just 10 years ago. The movement to get youngsters into it has been a good movement, it’s the fact that some or most youngsters are coming into it as a fashion statement for Instagram likes.
The main issue is that we are two generations removed from hunting being a necessity in life and this newest generation doesn’t understand that. And maybe we are not teaching them that.

Agree . . but there is a big difference between getting young people out hunting and taking a young person out on a game-rich bit of private land, propping them up behind a gun and having them snipe a big buck over bait and telling them they are a hunter.

TheGDog

WKR
Selfishly, a part of me wishes this would gain some traction....

Thoughts?

Thoughts? Why should hunters go around acting like little beyotches who don't get to post their hard-earned kills.... while your buddy who went out on the sport fishing boat.... deck of that boat EASILY covered in 5x-6x times more pounds of take and blood... gets to glam it up and have his friends all give him verbal high-fives of things like "So when are you inviting me over for Sushi?" and isht like that.

Naw... bump that man... we need to keep pushing until pics presented by hunters are considered common place and to be respected as part of our human heritage. Same as that guy fishing.

Ya see... THIS... is how these stupid CA gun laws take root initially... people not willing to buck the system. Then.. after I warn ya all that they are going to try to roll-out every single gun law they first try-out over here... to the rest of the country later... y'all don't believe me. You look at it logically and rationally and think "Ah, that could never happen here." Well guess what babba bubba it can! It ain't about logic and reason, DUH!, It can and it will happen! Unless we continue to become a louder and louder voice.

amassi

WKR
I'm sure it won't be popular, but I kind of support this completely. I think 95% of Outdoors TV shows, and the Instragrams queens who get propped in front of the camera to pose with a giant buck they "hunted" have done far more to hurt hunting than anything.
Agree

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

sasquatch

WKR
Fixed it for you...

Ehhh maybe some for sure. However I think a good portion of the people on these forums actually love hunting and would hunt anyway. For the most part

Where as a lot of the Facebook/instagramers would quit hunting if they couldn’t post there anymore and get the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Brendan

WKR
Ehhh maybe some for sure. However I think a good portion of the people on these forums actually love hunting and would hunt anyway. For the most part

Where as a lot of the Facebook/instagramers would quit hunting if they couldn’t post there anymore and get the attention.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I definitely agree with you that Rokslide and posting on social media are more of a byproduct of a love of hunting and the outdoors for most people here. And I actually agree with the premise of the thread - I only started heading out west in 2014, but that was largely before podcasts, Instagram, Rinella, BHA, all of the million hunting Youtubers and Instagrammers, Elk 101, etc, etc. And, I wish I could rewind back to before all of the BS because tags were even a lot easier to get 5 years ago.

With that said, it's still funny to see people on Rokslide (Social Media) bitching about people's social media habits. Damn Covid and the election has everyone getting punchy early in the offseason this year :D

Seems like this all started when companies realized there was a pile of money to be made if they made western hunting specific products and directed their marketing efforts appropriately. This is all a product of the free market.

Instafamous hunters, TV shows, youtube content, all of it is just advertising. Marketing 101 in 2020 says you need to have a large social media presence. How do you do that? One way is you pay someone who has a large audience. That's how you get a good looking girl, who has probably been hunting for 5 total mins, pimping and recommending products like their an expert. That company has a bad marketing department.

If you really want this movement to succeed as far as I can tell, you'd have to start giving up all the high speed gear and not expect any kind of technology advancements.

Dump your sitka or kuiu and go back to cotton or wear climbing gear.
Dump your OnX and Basemap and go back to paper maps.
Dump your Stone Glacier and Kifaru and get a Jansport.
Shoot you bow for 10 years before you trade it in if at all. Or better yet, shoot trad.
Forget about watching any kind of tutorial or how to vids on youtube from an actual expert to shorten the learning curve.
In fact, drop all forms of social media that are hunting related.
And quite possibly even deactivate your rokslide forum account...

Maybe I'm wrong here, but all our great gear, clothes, and technology in general, comes with a price that isn't being measured in dollars... And the only way the hunting "influencer" goes away is if we start voting with our wallets, eyeballs and mouse clicks.

And maybe there is a middle ground here. Where you don't need the latest and greatest of everything because some "expert" said it was better. Maybe take that cash you would have spent and send it to RMEF or MDF or some other good cause.
I feel like I became a better consumer when I realized I was ALWAYS be marketed to. Every youtube video, every TV show, every web page. All of it is designed to get you to hit the "buy now" button.
And as long as there are hunting companies with tons of marketing dollars to spend, there will always be someone willing to put their hunting exploits (no matter how bad mind you) front and center in order to cash that check.

We can debate as to what should and should not be put on social media, but there is no denying that the internet in general has caused the hunting explosion in the west. Jump back 20 years and look at the tags you could draw as a NR.

The damage is done, nothing his Brother wants or tries is going to help in any way unless he has more sway over his brother than fat stacks of cash. Maybe his brother read the BHA thread and the light went off...LOL!

We'd all be better off as hunters if Rinella, Sitka, Hush, etc. all got the hell off social media and YouTube in general. That's where the real issues are coming from IMO.

Their stuff comes up on my family and friends feeds by association now and they are all disgusted by "hunters" after having seen the recent trends like putting duck bills in mouths and posing nude, watching a dude shotgun a beer through a whitetails chest cavity/mouth, kissing dead deer, etc. My cousin said it best the other day -- the only thing the outside looking in sees is a bunch of people "sick in the head for it".

Damn shame none of these clowns can see they're hurting hunters as a whole.

Kentucky

WKR
This is the closest I get to social media..I’m 37 years old. I agree with this “movement”, but in reality it has nothin to do with hunting.

It’s social media as a whole that should be DDD’ed...

Social media is an unstoppable force of brainwashing negativity that leaves behind little of whatever tradition it decides to trend on next.

I would like to copyright that last sentence please..lol

Bighorner

WKR
I learned everything I know from Meateater, then I bought the book they said I needed, and the knife, the rifle, bullets for the rifle, the whiskey, and the clever t shirts.

My hats off to them, they are making a killing. All the while telling you to to find them some new clients to introduce to their gear, I mean hunting. I agree with his brother. Hunting used to be a poor man's sport and the meat was the poor man's tree table fair. I agree with Matt.

As I willing complain on a site that sells advertising directed at hunters. Oh well.

Kentucky

WKR
I learned everything I know from Meateater, then I bought the book they said I needed, and the knife, the rifle, bullets for the rifle, the whiskey, and the clever t shirts.

My hats off to them, they are making a killing. All the while telling you to to find them some new clients to introduce to their gear, I mean hunting. I agree with his brother. Hunting used to be a poor man's sport and the meat was the poor man's tree table fair. I agree with Matt.

As I willing complain on a site that sells advertising directed at hunters. Oh well.

As much as I hate social media I love capitalism.. and they have done it well.... they are selling one version of the American dream, while living it and getting rich at the same time..touché sir