Rinella DDD - Depublicize, Deglorify, Demonetize

Mtnboy

WKR
Tell that to the Fathers and sons who've bonded over hunting. Tell that to the people who found themselves by going into hard places and doing hard things for the love of hunting. Tell that to the group of buddies who gets to see each other for one week a year. Your argument negates the reasons that most people hunt and is a grossly simplistic view. For an incredibly tiny fraction of what we spend on hunting you can purchase captive bread deer, elk and buffalo meat. Why don't you just start doing that and save yourself a pile of money in time. Look at Africa. The areas were animals are only valued for their meat, there are none. If we want hunting to continue it can never become solely about the meat. Again for all the people who won't read my previous posts. I'm not saying that the meat is not the primary purpose just that it can't be the only one.
Don't go bringing reason and thought in to a Rinella thread, don't you know this is Rokslide and the pitchforks will come out and the bashing will commence any time this name is brought up?

I mean some of these guys got so worked up by just the name they couldn't even figure out this is about Matt Rinella and not Steve Rinella...no worries though, the endless and ignorant bashing will continue just the same.

Squincher

WKR
Tell that to the Fathers and sons who've bonded over hunting. Tell that to the people who found themselves by going into hard places and doing hard things for the love of hunting. Tell that to the group of buddies who gets to see each other for one week a year. Your argument negates the reasons that most people hunt and is a grossly simplistic view. For an incredibly tiny fraction of what we spend on hunting you can purchase captive bread deer, elk and buffalo meat. Why don't you just start doing that and save yourself a pile of money in time. Look at Africa. The areas were animals are only valued for their meat, there are none. If we want hunting to continue it can never become solely about the meat. Again for all the people who won't read my previous posts. I'm not saying that the meat is not the primary purpose just that it can't be the only one.
People bond or spend time together participating in any number of activities. There are also many things besides hunting that offer challenge. Just because you want or need it to be about something more doesn't make it so.

A lot of good premises but of course there is more to it.

Unfortunately $$ rules the world. Profit driven advocacy is still advocacy and would be hard to replace.

Warmsy

WKR
I stumbled across some randy newberg and Steve rinella videos a few years ago after the county denied the possibility of farming on 2 parcels that I had access to. Unable to farm, I discovered adventure that I sorely needed during my child custody case.

It's gotten me outside way more, I've made a great friend, and I truly enjoy this new passion. I think both iif those guys produce tasteful content that is respectful and possibly achievable. I wouldn't have started tradituinal archery, or have taken mt soon fishing and camping had I not been inspired.

TomJoad

WKR
This is how I’ve been conducting myself since I started as an adult onset hunter just over a decade ago. I’m now off FB but when was still active I never boasted of any “conquests”.

As for grip and grin, I don’t like it, so I don’t do it. I know 99% of sliders do, and I’m going to get crucified for my honesty here but the moment I pull the trigger for me is a serious and somber one. Don’t get me wrong, I celebrate the harvest but I do it by toasting the fallen game, which for me is more about celebrating life than G&G which always seemed more like glorifying death. While you won’t find any G&G photo ops on any of my old social media profiles you will find images of friends gathered round for a monster dinner party that was all about celebrating that particular elk.

Whether he wants to call it DDD, 333 or GGG he’s got my support.

Will_m

WKR
I see a lot of people qualifying their hope for the success of DDD with the term "selfish."

I don't see anything selfish about that at all. Hoping for this to succeed is just a recognition of a limited resource. Hunting, and particularly public land hunting, is highly susceptible to collective action problems.

Take this antiquated example for instance: opening the town square for grazing is not a problem to an extent. It's public land and as long as only a few people are taking advantage of it, it can continue. Problems arise when the use outweighs the resource. Eventually too many people use it and, consequently, nobody can use it, whether that be from a pragmatic standpoint or a policy standpoint. Basically, it becomes too crowded and it either cannot be utilized for the purpose of grazing effectively or it has to be closed to grazing because of the problems that accompany its overuse.

Public land hunting is the same way. Eventually, the use outweighs the resource and by consequence it is a resource that must be jealously guarded. Promoting its use only hastens its demise. Promoting public land hunting to the extent it is done today is not necessary for the survival of the sport, despite what could be considered pure intentions. It is a quixotic proposition.

Also, as a purely personal view, the constant publication through social media or news outlets of public land success appears so egotistical that it makes me sick. People cannot wait to tell everyone they killed on public land. I wonder at times if they could not post it on social media would they even go through the effort, or even if they could post it but couldn't say they were on public land. How much of their actions are based on public recognition? If you want to grip and grin, get after it, but take the picture for yourself--not to post and spread around so you can inflate your ego.

Unfortunately, there is just not enough to go around. Hunter numbers will continue to increase as the population increases. I would expect increasing restrictions on the use of public land in order to accommodate the increasing use of the same amount of resource. Go down south and take a look at the public lands there. One guy kills, his story gets published in a local hunting magazine and suddenly everybody wants to go try their luck on X spot. People see published success stories and justifiably want to try their luck. Gold rush of the 21st century.

Having grown up hunting and fishing. Raised by hunters and gatherers and being bred of the blood of untold numbers of hunters and gatherers I just can’t fathom how some folks have managed to make taking a picture with your harvest a negative thing. They give it a flashy name like “grip and grin” and then try and tell folks what they think it represents.
I have pictures with 3 generations of my family with fish and game displayed. Your fooling yourself if you think those pictures are about glorifying death.
Pictures are about preserving memories.

Very interesting to see someone have the opinion that “toasting” is good and pictures are bad.
To each their own I guess.
But please don’t make any “Assumptions” as to what my pictures represent, and I won’t make any about your drinking.

NDGuy

WKR
I would probably see the point if someone could show me a single study that shows a trend in total number of hunters that is rising. 2020 may be an odd year out but overall the trend has been negative for decades. Anything we can do to stop that is a step in the right direction.
The only way I would be all for the "MORE AND MORE HUNTERS" movement is if we have the land and animals to support the influx. Which by the current state of things is not looking great..

Meh. Its popular right now. I tend to think more hunters is a good thing. Yeah it sucks at the trail head but it helps at the voting box. If hunter numbers decline too far, you end up with a situation like The UK where a very few affluent people and A handful of others are the only ones with the resources and access to pursue a niche pastime.

fads come and go. The loco-vore hipsters neck beard crowd took an interest in hunting. I expect it will fade in a few years. They will move on to burning their beards while blacksmithing or brewing kombucha with their own urine or something Shortly. The real hunters will still be here for as long as we can.

Last edited:

KurtR

WKR
I have black and white pictures of my grandpa holding deer ducks and geese smiling and enjoying the kill. I find it funny when you have people who think they have some profound knowledge of how it should be but they have been hunting a few years. Adult on set hunting has to be one of the dumbest terms ever used. Just go hunting and kill some shit and be happy about it

jmez

WKR
Who remembers pictures in the small town newspaper when a big animal was killed? Happened all the time in my hometown when I was growing up.

The guy that shot the huge deer is at the check in station all day long as people come see the deer. By noon, word is out around town there is a giant down at the check in station. Everyone drives over to look.

Deer routinely hung from a tree in the front yard all over town during deer season. You knew exactly who killed what and how big it was. Big deer were not a secret and not kept a secret. If you missed it at the check in station you drove by that house in the next day or two to see it for yourself. Everyone in town knew about it and publicized it.

Tell me you never heard about one in a neighboring town and made the drive to look at it hanging in someone's yard?

It is now the age of technology. The only thing that has changed in the medium over which it is broadcast. Growing up in a small town in SE Nebraska the town and neighboring communities knew. Now, someone in New York can know in 10 seconds. It is society and he way that it operates now. Information travels far and fast. It isn't going to change.

cmankingsley

Lil-Rokslider
I have black and white pictures of my grandpa holding deer ducks and geese smiling and enjoying the kill. I find it funny when you have people who think they have some profound knowledge of how it should be but they have been hunting a few years. Adult on set hunting has to be one of the dumbest terms ever used. Just go hunting and kill some shit and be happy about it

Called the “dunning Kruger effect” they are high on top of Mount stupid.
746860dd0464d718b90b0c4d5aaab70b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KurtR

WKR
Who remembers pictures in the small town newspaper when a big animal was killed? Happened all the time in my hometown when I was growing up.

The guy that shot the huge deer is at the check in station all day long as people come see the deer. By noon, word is out around town there is a giant down at the check in station. Everyone drives over to look.

Deer routinely hung from a tree in the front yard all over town during deer season. You knew exactly who killed what and how big it was. Big deer were not a secret and not kept a secret. If you missed it at the check in station you drove by that house in the next day or two to see it for yourself. Everyone in town knew about it and publicized it.

Tell me you never heard about one in a neighboring town and made the drive to look at it hanging in someone's yard?

It is now the age of technology. The only thing that has changed in the medium over which it is broadcast. Growing up in a small town in SE Nebraska the town and neighboring communities knew. Now, someone in New York can know in 10 seconds. It is society and he way that it operates now. Information travels far and fast. It isn't going to change.
We still get the picture of the big deer or fish or limit of pheasants in the paper here. If a big deer is shot it is known about around town in short order and people will stop by to see it still. Small town living has some drawbacks but the good way out paces living in a city.

KurtR

WKR
I have yet to find any real drawbacks to small town living, but that is just me.

Only difference now, the world is your audience, not your hometown.
Needing a part to fix something at 8 pm at night when every thing is closed is probably the worst. Or wanting something other than taco johns or dairy queen to eat on a Tuesday night.

LostArra

WKR

Newspapers and check stations both becoming things of the past. The one and only newspaper here still publishes big deer pics on Sundays in the fall but I don't know anyone who sends their big deer photos to the newspaper.

No check stations. Check-in online with your phone or computer. I remember Polaroid photos of the biggest deer at the check stations.

Only my family and maybe three hunting buddies even know when I am successful and that is usually for meat sharing.

Old non-social media curmudgeon here.