Right Place Right Time-Thank God!

ElkNut1

WKR
My Son & I are heading down the road in Boise ID, we are on a busy main road with 100's of rigs going both ways near quitting time. We notice traffic is backed up in the opposite lane a bit & as we approach the red light about 5 cars back we see a car with its rear end smashed up but it's pulled to the side out of traffic, an obvious wreck. About 20 yards behind it still in the lane of traffic is a black suburban with tinted windows & the front end smashed in pretty good. We had stopped almost straight across from it so could easily see it. Looked like they'd been there 10 minutes or so but no cops there yet. We didn't think much of it as we awaited the light to change. I leisurely glanced over at the suburban several times while awaiting the light to turn green not giving it much thought, I could see several people standing on the curb near the first wrecked car. On the suburban I noticed the drivers window had a weird off white look to it that was different than the darker passenger window but didn't think much of it. I looked over again passed my Son who was driving & caught movement in the drivers window, then I saw a hand maybe two then a mouth & nose, I squinted looking over to make sure I was seeing what I thought I was seeing. No doubt someone was struggling to say something!

At this time I noticed smoke started seeping out where the front & back door met the body of the rig. As I stared hard at the drivers window I could see a mouth mouthing Help Me Help Me! Immediately I yelled Oh Shit out loud & pointed, my Son saw it & our doors flew open & we ran over the 20 yards away. (looking for traffic) My Son made it to the front door first & tried pulling the door open but it wouldn't budge, it was jammed from the wreck. We both grabbed & jerked hard & the door flew open along with so much smoke smelling like burnt rubber & wiring, this lady fell out on the ground along with the air bag blown up. She was coughing & crying hysterically, she repeated several times that she couldn't breathe. We pulled her away from the rig & she kept saying we'd saved her life. I asked her in an excited voice if anyone else was in the rig, ( I was concerned maybe there were kids) she said no but I opened doors & checked as smoke rolled out like crazy, I saw no one & couldn't believe she could breathe through that crap.

Help started coming from other folks once the door was opened & they saw her & the smoke. All I can say is I am very thankful she was OK & we happened to be in the right place at the right time!

Has anything like this happened to any here?

ElkNut/Paul

Ucsdryder

WKR
Wow Paul! That’s crazy. You always hope that in a situation like that you respond quickly and appropriately. I bet you don’t feel like it, but you and your son are heros. Good job!!

DerkPerk

Lil-Rokslider
Crazy story! You are a hell of a man in the woods and out! Props to you sir for not being a bystander and jumping into action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thank you guys! Just glad we were able to help! Maybe it will come back to us someday!

Bruce, good one bud, that I would have understood! Ha Ha! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

handwerk

WKR
Saw a situation like that many years ago in Wisconsin, except I was across the freeway, by the time I came to a stop you could see the station wagon filling up with smoke, just as I got out of the car the the wagon went up in flames, it was terrible as I could see people frantically moving inside, I don't think they made it, I had to move on.
Glad you were there to help out.

It just takes an everyday guy to step up and be a hero. In this world of 'somebody else will take care of it' it's great to see one of our own jump in and be a rescuer. Got nothing but admiration and awesomeness for you!

Btaylor

WKR
Thank you guys! Just glad we were able to help! Maybe it will come back to us someday!

Bruce, good one bud, that I would have understood! Ha Ha! Thanks!

ElkNut/Paul

I'm going to say loving your neighbor will absolutely come back to you someday.

KJH

WKR
Great work. I'm glad you were there at that time as well and took the time to respond instead of assuming someone else would do it.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys, I'm sure everyone of you on this thread would have done the same thing without batting an eye!

One thing that I felt was disturbing after the fact was the 3-4 people standing by the front wrecked car, not one of them checked on the surburban to see if everyone was OK inside. Sorta weird!

ElkNut/Paul

SoDaky

WKR
Good going Paul!Congrats to your son as well.Couple toots of my bugle to ya!

Great job man! Its amazing how many people cannot react to a situation like this. I think we all need to mentally prepare for things like this to happen. Most people never even think about it then cant react or cant keep a straight head.

OP
E

ElkNut1

WKR
Thanks guys!

Appreciate the toot bud, thumbs up!

Lyle, I honestly believe there's much truth in your thoughts! Thank you!

ElkNut/Paul