Realistic "super slam" for you?

It's a sad day when the thought of a 10-15K dollar hunt is considered a relatively affordable option....

Definitely not a bargain, but compared to the $40-75k for most sheep species and polar bear, I would call it relatively affordable! I'm sure everyone wishes it wasn't so expensive, but thanks to the laws of supply and demand it's pay the price or hunt something else.

TEmbry

WKR
It's a sad day when the thought of a 10-15K dollar hunt is considered a relatively affordable option....

Lol key word relatively. That in itself implies compared to something else. Compared to an African Elephant, Kyrgyzstan Marco Polo Sheep, or Mexican Desert Bighorn Ram... $10-15k IS relatively affordable. Compared to whitetail, elk, black bear, and a slew of critters it is beyond unreasonable in pricing. It's all relative.

Eagle

WKR
At one point in time, after reading Chuck's book, I thought about it, but ultimately, for me, if I can't eat the animal, I don't really have any desire to kill it. So that removes all but the black bear and maybe an interior grizz that's feeding heavily on berries in the fall from the list. My main goal for all time now, is the 4 sheep species, I haven't even gotten to hunt one yet, but I love the country they call home, and of course the cost of those hunts is and will always be prohibitive.

Right now, the long term plan is to try and hunt at least one western species each fall until I'm 43 in 2027 and have my mortgage paid off. Once that mortgage is paid off, I'll have the disposable income that'll allow me to get after the sheep species. Ultimately, in addition to the one big game animal I have (whitetail), I'd eventually like to kill mule deer, roosevelt and rocky mountain elk, sitka and columbia blacktail, shiras alaskan and canadian moose, mountain caribou (maybe one of the other three as well), stone dall desert and bighorn sheep, mountain goat, black bear, interior grizzly, bison, cougar, pronghorn and maybe couse deer. That's 22 species, probably more than I'll ever get to hunt, but a guy can dream.

I think financially the way i have my ducks lined up the super slam would be possible one day.. But i dont know if thats something i want to go for.. There are some animals that arent worth their price to me..

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
I'd like to hunt all the "groups". For instance, I've killed a moose in the Yukon and a couple caribou in Alaska...I am not going to worry about going after the smaller subspecies. I've hunted 15 species and seen all but Musk Ox, Polar Bear, Woodland and Central Barren Ground Caribou in the field. Trying hard to draw a Mountain Goat tag; once I hunt them, I will be content :)

White tail, Mule deer, Elk are already arrowed. Antelope, Mountain loin, black bear are on the arrow list. Hopefully in my life time Moose, sheep, and goat with a MT resident tag archery or rifle. And as many wolfs as I can

Kotaman

WKR
My first goal was Super 10. With that accomplished, I am considering a Super Slam. I've got 15 species and hunting 5 new species this year. If this year goes well, I may make a push for the Slam If not I may just focus on Sheep. Time will tell and I'm in no hurry to decide. I continue to repeat the hunts I enjoy and have shy'd away from the hunts I have no interest in. I see myself getting to a point where all I need for a slam are Polar Bear, Tule Elk, Shiras Moose and Bison.

At this years GSCO Banquet, they recognized a young guy that took his slam in under 20 months! Not only was he the youngest to accomplish the Super Slam (he was 32 I believe), he did it in the shortest amount of time by a long ways.

My first goal was Super 10. With that accomplished, I am considering a Super Slam. I've got 15 species and hunting 5 new species this year. If this year goes well, I may make a push for the Slam If not I may just focus on Sheep. Time will tell and I'm in no hurry to decide. I continue to repeat the hunts I enjoy and have shy'd away from the hunts I have no interest in. I see myself getting to a point where all I need for a slam are Polar Bear, Tule Elk, Shiras Moose and Bison.

At this years GSCO Banquet, they recognized a young guy that took his slam in under 20 months! Not only was he the youngest to accomplish the Super Slam (he was 32 I believe), he did it in the shortest amount of time by a long ways.

20 months?? That's incredible! 20 years is quick for most people when it comes to the Super Slam! Considering hunting the Slam isn't really a year round sport (some species have extremely limited seasons), getting it done in less than two years has to be a huge logistical challenge! I'd love to see his hunt schedule during those 20 months.

Craig4791

WKR
For P&Y, B&C, and The Grand Slam club, I don't believe Kodiak and Brown Bears are any different. Sitka and Columbian blacktails are however treated as different species. The bear species on the Grand Slam are:

- Brown Bear
- Black Bear
- Grizzly Bear
- Polar Bear

My "yes" was interpreting him asking is grizz and browns were different species.

Kotaman

WKR
20 months?? That's incredible! 20 years is quick for most people when it comes to the Super Slam! Considering hunting the Slam isn't really a year round sport (some species have extremely limited seasons), getting it done in less than two years has to be a huge logistical challenge! I'd love to see his hunt schedule during those 20 months.

Yes, truely amazing. Most of the guys you see getting the Super Slam are in there 60's. This guy was either 32 or 33 and did it in under two years. In fact, I'm not so sure it wasn't 17 months. I keep thinking of the Logistics and it's crazy. I believe he even got a New Zealand hunt in that timeframe as well!

That is crazy considering that is barely two full hunting seasons. He must of just gone from one hunt to the next without stopping for months

Kotaman

WKR
and I'm pretty sure he is single...;) Could you imagine explaining to your wife that you have 19 hunts this year????

Craig4791

WKR
That's crazy! The planning for that must have been a pita. Must have had a lot if landowner type permits I would think to make the seasons flexible.