Moving to Alaska

You can also mail guns to yourself.

My wife and sister inlaw did the Alcan when she went to Anchorage 4 yrs ago.
They both said the road was so shitty in some spots they couldn't imagine anything bigger then a pass vehicle.

Unless your wife is a real driver I wouldn't put a trailer behind her.

She shipped her car back down. And I think left her furniture there.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I think those Canadians should be a little more liberal with their borders, you know?

I've read lots of stories about their border officers, they may be biased, but I would rather drive through the Mexican/US border multiple times rather than the Canadian/US.

I moved during covid up. One of the agents was a choice 4 letter word, others were cool. Long guns came with me on the drive, anything prohibited was shipped. I brought well over 10k rounds and the border patrol didn't care (pistol, rifle, shotgun). I even mentioned I had ammo they didn't want to see it. Only thing they cared about was if I paid the registration fee on my long guns to drive them through. All my paperwork was in order, just delayed things. Checked every serial #, if you drive have the guns accessible. Vehicle was not searched.

Ferry is the easiest route hands down, no CA crap to deal with. However this late in the game summer space might be booked out.

tuffcity

WKR
One thing I will say for anyone in the L48 wanting to move North and/or hunt Canada, do not cut your barrels past 18.5" as it turns your rifle into a restricted or prohibited item, can't recall exactly.

Not quite true. If you cut it yourself it's a no-go but add a manufactured short barrel and it's fine. Example: you can buy a 10" Dlask 870 barrel, put it on your shotgun and pack it around and it's a non-restricted firearm. Back before they were deemed too evil to own, a 12" barrel on a AR didn't make it illegal (still a restricted firearm even with a 18.5 barrel but not prohib with a short barrel).

Ship the suppressor, handguns, any mag's bigger than 10 rounds, and really big rifles like a .50BMG or anything that has over 7300 ft/lbs of ME. ( talk about stoooopid new regs!) anything that isn't a bolt action, single shot or pump long gun. If your shipper wants an itemized list keep a copy and show that at the border if they ask if you own handguns. (YMMV, but might be helpful).

If you drive, pick a less "retentive" border crossing like Montana into Alberta/Sask or one that crosses into Saskatchewan from ND, head to Edmonton and pick up the Alcan at Ft St. John - also your fuel costs will be less in Alberta and they (like the Yukon) do not have a provincial sales tax.

Also check with Texas P&W as well as the USF&W to see if any export permits are required for your taxidermy (and the Canadian Wildlife Service).

There has been a lot of work done to the Alcan in the past few years and it's a pretty good hwy, usually better than the Cassiar route. It's not a 4 lane interstate tho.

Kobuk

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I made a trip up last year about the same time you are thinking in a new to us motorhome and towed a trailer with a metal carport on it. We zig zagged through a few national parks before heading north. My vote is to drive up. We weren't in a big hurry and didn't do super long daily drives, shot for 4-5hrs but did have a couple longer ones. This way we could enjoy an evening in a campground. Their province campgrounds, kind of like our state campgrounds, had free firewood. It was an amazing trip for us and we had a blast. The boarder is a bit of a pain. You download an app and try to have that all filled out. One tip is they want an address where you'll be staying in Canada. Well we didn't have one and it caused a stir. Apparently just pick a place and put that address in. That's what the grouchy lady told us at the boarder. We weren't the only ones because while we were handling that there were several other travelers going through the same thing. I had a shotgun with a 18.5" barrel even though she measured it at 22"s! haha The roads were horrible the farther north you got. In our RV it sucked and you had to putt along. Gas wasn't cheap and we drove a guzzler. I guess that was the negative.

tuffcity

WKR
You download an app
The "ArriveCan" app is no more... if that's the one you're referring to. The worst road, at least on the Canadian side, is the section from Haines Jct, YT to Beaver Creek. Or the North Klondike to Dawson City

sneaky

"DADDY"
I’m going to put a damper on your plans.
Do you have a home in AK yet? If not and even if, take all your stuff and store them in Texas. Make sure Alaska is really for you. Get through a winter first.
I think you missed the part where he was born and raised there. I think he has a handle on the winters. His wife is from Texas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I think you missed the part where he was born and raised there. I think he has a handle on the winters. His wife is from Texas.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Wife is part of him. He may like it and be from here. She isn’t.

My advise of holding off on bringing everything stands. Seen too many marriage suffer where one wants and one doesn’t.

FLATHEAD

WKR
Canadian border Agent gave us fits over some OTC Allergy Medicine
we had for my son.
No way I would give them an excuse with anything related to a firearm.
This was coming back from Nelson.

I've driven back and fourth from AK to the lower 48 a few times with handguns. Each time I used https://alaskagunshipping.com (wolfhawk gun shipping) they have lower 48 FFL dealers they are in contact with and will mail your handguns or whatever to and from Tok, Ak that you'll be driving by on your way to Fairbanks. They've always gotten my guns to there before gotten there on the drive. Not expensive with multiple handguns, rifles may be a bit more pricey. I've surprisingly never had to show Canadian border agents my rifles while crossing all they care about is the serial numbers, barrel lengths and actions, make sure you have the paperwork filled out before crossing the border to save time and hassle.

OP
carsonkeys
I moved during covid up. One of the agents was a choice 4 letter word, others were cool. Long guns came with me on the drive, anything prohibited was shipped. I brought well over 10k rounds and the border patrol didn't care (pistol, rifle, shotgun). I even mentioned I had ammo they didn't want to see it. Only thing they cared about was if I paid the registration fee on my long guns to drive them through. All my paperwork was in order, just delayed things. Checked every serial #, if you drive have the guns accessible. Vehicle was not searched.

Ferry is the easiest route hands down, no CA crap to deal with. However this late in the game summer space might be booked out.
Good tip about keeping them accessible, if we end up going that route. Thank you.
Not quite true. If you cut it yourself it's a no-go but add a manufactured short barrel and it's fine. Example: you can buy a 10" Dlask 870 barrel, put it on your shotgun and pack it around and it's a non-restricted firearm. Back before they were deemed too evil to own, a 12" barrel on a AR didn't make it illegal (still a restricted firearm even with a 18.5 barrel but not prohib with a short barrel).

Ship the suppressor, handguns, any mag's bigger than 10 rounds, and really big rifles like a .50BMG or anything that has over 7300 ft/lbs of ME. ( talk about stoooopid new regs!) anything that isn't a bolt action, single shot or pump long gun. If your shipper wants an itemized list keep a copy and show that at the border if they ask if you own handguns. (YMMV, but might be helpful).

If you drive, pick a less "retentive" border crossing like Montana into Alberta/Sask or one that crosses into Saskatchewan from ND, head to Edmonton and pick up the Alcan at Ft St. John - also your fuel costs will be less in Alberta and they (like the Yukon) do not have a provincial sales tax.

Also check with Texas P&W as well as the USF&W to see if any export permits are required for your taxidermy (and the Canadian Wildlife Service).

There has been a lot of work done to the Alcan in the past few years and it's a pretty good hwy, usually better than the Cassiar route. It's not a 4 lane interstate tho.
Thanks for the clarification on the barrels, that'll help someone I'm sure. Great tips on border crossings and road status. Appreciate your time!
Wife is part of him. He may like it and be from here. She isn’t.

My advise of holding off on bringing everything stands. Seen too many marriage suffer where one wants and one doesn’t.
You are correct in that she may not like it. It's a chance we are willing to take - with the understanding that nothing is permanent. If we need to move again, we will. Your comments are noted and appreciated.
I've driven back and fourth from AK to the lower 48 a few times with handguns. Each time I used https://alaskagunshipping.com (wolfhawk gun shipping) they have lower 48 FFL dealers they are in contact with and will mail your handguns or whatever to and from Tok, Ak that you'll be driving by on your way to Fairbanks. They've always gotten my guns to there before gotten there on the drive. Not expensive with multiple handguns, rifles may be a bit more pricey. I've surprisingly never had to show Canadian border agents my rifles while crossing all they care about is the serial numbers, barrel lengths and actions, make sure you have the paperwork filled out before crossing the border to save time and hassle.
Just left them a VM - I may owe you a beer or four.
I have only done the drive twice, once up and then back a few years later. The ferry was hard to book ahead and the deal breaker for us was leaving our three dogs in the vehicle.

On the way up my wife/kid flew ahead and I tent-camped and towed a 6x12 Uhaul. I can still picture that uhaul in my rearview mirror as it was launched dukes of hazard style into the air several feet after hitting an ice heave that I couldn't see in time. The trailer survived but I was a little stressed the rest of the trip.

Your biggest concern is tires, I had spares for the truck but didn't want to buy spares for the rental. If I had to do it again I would have bought a utility trailer as others have mentioned. They are invaluable and always in high demand. I would also recommend getting a good 10ton (or bigger) jack with good stacking base plates for soft or uneven ground. Also, get a good air compressor that is rated high enough to fill truck and trailer tires. And spare gas cans. The bulk of the drive is not bad but as mentioned, from Haines Jct on it is a bit of an asphalt war zone. Keep an eye out for orange flags on the sides of the road that warn you of the real bad spots. And fill up at every gas station you stop at, you never know if the next one is closed.

With border crossing, I shipped my guns ahead and made a stop in Montana to ship my CCW to an FFL in Eagle River. I told the agent that I had ammunition but all they cared about was if I had the guns that went with it. They also didn't really care about our dog's health certificates, which were a pain to get.

As for mounts, I had all mine crated and shipped up and back. It was not cheap but definitely worth every penny as there was no damage. I was worried about getting them through the border as well. I had several elk mounts from when I was a kid that I have no idea where those tags went and would have a tough time finding pre-internet documents.

In regards to the camper, we bought a camper while in Alaska and paid "Alaska Prices" which also includes a hefty delivery fee. I don't know what the markup would be today but in 2016 we probably paid roughly $8K over what we could have in the lower 48. If you go this route, I would make sure to calculate all your load weights beforehand if you plan to pack it full of belongings. I clubbed up to a ram 2500 while in Alaska after learning some hard lessons in towing with a 1/2 ton. But I think if you and your wife are just starting out you have the right idea about saving your money, expenses add up really fast when you relocate.

Best of luck and safe travels, man! I am super jealous and have been trying to convince my wife to move back there ever since we left.
The ferry doesn't even have their summer schedule (and therefore fares) up yet, which makes it impossible to budget for the time being. Though, I did get a $10k estimate out of the CS lady for two vehicles with trailers, and two adults, albeit "unofficial".

I feel pretty stupid saying this, but I hadn't considered an air compressor. Huge thank you for that tip!

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
This may be exactly what we do, pending what I find out about shipping myself firearms. My biggest gun-related concern is a suppressor.
Call Alaska Marine Lines and get a quote. One vehicle was abou 2.5k from WA to Anchorage a year ago. You can load anything in the vehicle you want.

A friend who just moved up spent like 800 just to ship two cases with guns up.

fatbacks

WKR
I had a terrible experience at the border in northern Idaho when driving to Alaska one time. They dumped my entire truck and trailer looking for more guns. the next time I had to cross with guns I had all the firearms easily accessible and a s-read sheet of make model and serial number.

Good luck with the move! Fairbanks is a cool place and I am glad to call it home. I hear you on the darkness - we just make sure to budget so we can travel outside every January and that seems to make it a non-issue for our family.

SwiftShot

WKR
I will preface this by saying that I have an incredible wife who somehow, someway, is very on board with my dream to move from Texas to Fairbanks, AK. I was born and raised there, so this is "home" for me. We've got a great group of friends and family still there, and feel that we have an adequate support system for big life changes, such as kids. We've taken several trips up there, including two during the winter, and she has a good idea of what to expect weather wise. The 800lb gorilla will be the prolonged darkness, as a few two week trips doesn't do it justice. My job is entirely remote. Hers is still a question mark, though we're both OK with the answer either way.

All the context out of the way, I'd appreciate it if a few folks look at our moving plan and maybe validate a few things, answer a few lingering questions, and/or poke a few holes in it. Additionally, we've thought through this process as much as we can, but if there's something glaring I've left out please do chime in.

Details of the move:
Dates: June 20-June 28/29/30

Method: Pretty set on driving the Alaska Hwy as opposed to taking the ferry

Vehicles: Rent a Uhaul box truck and tow my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (I drive)
(Potentially) Buy a camper and tow that behind my Ram 1500 (wife drive). I plan on getting one additional full size tire for all vehicles and/or campers and getting everything inspected/tuned/replaced/lubed by a mechanic beforehand on both vehicles.

Guns: as most good Americans, I have a few (legal in USA) "prohibited" items that I plan on flying up beforehand and dropping off those off with a friend for pickup later. For the remaining items I will go through the process at the border. Based on conversation I've had with the authorities up there (one of the few clear answers I received), this shouldn't be an issue. One thing I will say for anyone in the L48 wanting to move North and/or hunt Canada, do not cut your barrels past 18.5" as it turns your rifle into a restricted or prohibited item, can't recall exactly.

Remaining questions:
Guns: Has anyone else flown with and then left a firearm? For some reason I've got this idea that the airlines will not appreciate this, but my research hasn't turned anything up.

Ammunition: I've been told by Canadian authorities I can transport 5k rounds/person, and 50k rounds/person...I'd rather not say how much ammunition I have, but if anyone has experience here it'd be appreciated.

Taxidermy: I've got the runaround between the various Canadian authorities on this and it's left me a little apprehensive. I've been told I need unspecified "documents", need to call CITES, and don't need to do anything. Between my wife and I we have a dozen or so euros of N.American game consisting of W.tail, mule deer, mountain goat, caribou, moose, pronghorn (shoulder mount), and axis deer. As far as "exotic" goes, we have one zebra rug from a trip to S. Africa. Has anyone moved to AK that can chime in here? I would rather turn around and ship them than lose these memories at the border due to some obscure bureaucratic process.

Thank you in advance. We are both very excited about this!
Guns, mail them up. Way cheaper and easier.

hunterjmj

WKR
I lived in Fairbanks in my early 20's and did the drive a couple times and the ferry a couple times. I always mailed my rifles to myself. Border crossing can be a pain in the ass depending who's working. Got off the ferry once in Haines and the border patrol found a 22 shell behind my seat and tore my pickup apart looking for the rifle. Guy was a total a hole and I think he was mad he didn't find anything. On the other hand I've had them wave me through without making eye contact. Last time I drove across was 2003 and don't plan to ever cross again.

OP
carsonkeys
Update on this: according to the agent I talked to today, the ferry is not traveling to Whittier this year. The closest port is Haines -which takes the appeal of the ferry away entirely.

Update on this: according to the agent I talked to today, the ferry is not traveling to Whittier this year. The closest port is Haines -which takes the appeal of the ferry away entirely.

Is there not a change in ferry from Haines to Cordova and then to Whittier?

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk