Moving to Alaska

I will preface this by saying that I have an incredible wife who somehow, someway, is very on board with my dream to move from Texas to Fairbanks, AK. I was born and raised there, so this is "home" for me. We've got a great group of friends and family still there, and feel that we have an adequate support system for big life changes, such as kids. We've taken several trips up there, including two during the winter, and she has a good idea of what to expect weather wise. The 800lb gorilla will be the prolonged darkness, as a few two week trips doesn't do it justice. My job is entirely remote. Hers is still a question mark, though we're both OK with the answer either way.

All the context out of the way, I'd appreciate it if a few folks look at our moving plan and maybe validate a few things, answer a few lingering questions, and/or poke a few holes in it. Additionally, we've thought through this process as much as we can, but if there's something glaring I've left out please do chime in.

Details of the move:
Dates: June 20-June 28/29/30

Method: Pretty set on driving the Alaska Hwy as opposed to taking the ferry

Vehicles: Rent a Uhaul box truck and tow my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (I drive)
(Potentially) Buy a camper and tow that behind my Ram 1500 (wife drive). I plan on getting one additional full size tire for all vehicles and/or campers and getting everything inspected/tuned/replaced/lubed by a mechanic beforehand on both vehicles.

Guns: as most good Americans, I have a few (legal in USA) "prohibited" items that I plan on flying up beforehand and dropping off those off with a friend for pickup later. For the remaining items I will go through the process at the border. Based on conversation I've had with the authorities up there (one of the few clear answers I received), this shouldn't be an issue. One thing I will say for anyone in the L48 wanting to move North and/or hunt Canada, do not cut your barrels past 18.5" as it turns your rifle into a restricted or prohibited item, can't recall exactly.

Remaining questions:
Guns: Has anyone else flown with and then left a firearm? For some reason I've got this idea that the airlines will not appreciate this, but my research hasn't turned anything up.

Ammunition: I've been told by Canadian authorities I can transport 5k rounds/person, and 50k rounds/person...I'd rather not say how much ammunition I have, but if anyone has experience here it'd be appreciated.

Taxidermy: I've got the runaround between the various Canadian authorities on this and it's left me a little apprehensive. I've been told I need unspecified "documents", need to call CITES, and don't need to do anything. Between my wife and I we have a dozen or so euros of N.American game consisting of W.tail, mule deer, mountain goat, caribou, moose, pronghorn (shoulder mount), and axis deer. As far as "exotic" goes, we have one zebra rug from a trip to S. Africa. Has anyone moved to AK that can chime in here? I would rather turn around and ship them than lose these memories at the border due to some obscure bureaucratic process.

Thank you in advance. We are both very excited about this!

Last edited:

eddielasvegas

WKR & Chairman of the Rokslide Welcoming Committee
Classified Approved
I'd be afraid to enter Canada with anything 2A related given how that commie country works these days, but that's just me.

Given the above, I'm fairly certain you can ship (not sure which carriers allow this, but I do know the USPS allows long guns) firearms (long guns and maybe even hand guns IIRC) to yourself, but check this to be sure.

Ship hand guns to an AK FFL might be an option?

Best of luck with your move and keep us posted.

Eddie

johnnycake

Lil-Rokslider
Flying one way with guns and leaving them there is perfectly fine. Airlines and everybody else really doesn't care.

Driving taxidermy through Canada is generally ok, but certain species need additional paperwork. Can't remember the list off the top of my head. But I do know that my cougar and my wolf birth would've required some hoops. I ended up just crating and shipping them up out of Tacoma as it was about the same cost as a dedicated trip just for taxidermy (the crates completely filled a 30' U haul when I picked them up from the port). But I used Kachemak Gear Shed for the ocean freight, and they don't do that anymore. You might like into Carlisle though.

OP
carsonkeys
I'd be afraid to enter Canada with anything 2A related given how that commie country works these days, but that's just me.

Given the above, I'm fairly certain you can ship (not sure which carriers allow this, but I do know the USPS allows long guns) firearms (long guns and maybe even hand guns IIRC) to yourself, but check this to be sure.

Ship hand guns to an AK FFL might be an option?

Best of luck with your move and keep us posted.

Eddie
Thanks, Eddie. That's kind of where I'm at too, if I'm being honest.

I am not familiar with shipping myself firearms. I will absolutely look into this and the FFL option, another consideration I did have.

OP
carsonkeys
Flying one way with guns and leaving them there is perfectly fine. Airlines and everybody else really doesn't care.

Driving taxidermy through Canada is generally ok, but certain species need additional paperwork. Can't remember the list off the top of my head. But I do know that my cougar and my wolf birth would've required some hoops. I ended up just crating and shipping them up out of Tacoma as it was about the same cost as a dedicated trip just for taxidermy (the crates completely filled a 30' U haul when I picked them up from the port). But I used Kachemak Gear Shed for the ocean freight, and they don't do that anymore. You might like into Carlisle though.
Thank you for the recommendation on Carlisle. I will look into that.

My wife and I moved up this past summer from Texas. Both of us born and raised there so we had no support system to go to. It’s been the greatest decision we ever made.

We drive our vehicles to Seattle, loaded with everything we were bringing with us, and put them on a barge and picked it up in anchorage. There is “restrictions” on what you can bring but I’ve never heard of anyone ever having anything checked or gone through. Look into Alaska Marine Lines/lynden transport as I know they deliver to Fairbanks.

Our original plan was to drive the alcan but with Canadas corona and firearms restrictions neither of us wanted to deal with that crap especially bringing a lot of guns, ammo, taxidermy, etc.

The move was honestly pretty easy considering we moved 4K miles.

Broomd

WKR
I did this too, rented a super mover U-haul and did the Alaska Hwy, northwest Indiana to Fairbanks, AK, Sept 1, 1997.
Helluva 10 year ride before saying goodbye to the Interior. Son stayed behind and still lives there.

Take the time to enjoy all of the changes, the cold and sunlight can and will work on you. Embrace it all! If you enjoy powersports etc, get what you need NOW, a nice aluminum trailer and pair of snowmachines or ATVs in the lower 48 are far cheaper than Alaska.

Stop at the Liard Hotsprings on the way up. Veg for a day and soak.

FlyAK

FNG
I will preface this by saying that I have an incredible wife who somehow, someway, is very on board with my dream to move from Texas to Fairbanks, AK. I was born and raised there, so this is "home" for me. We've got a great group of friends and family still there, and feel that we have an adequate support system for big life changes, such as kids. We've taken several trips up there, including two during the winter, and she has a good idea of what to expect weather wise. The 800lb gorilla will be the prolonged darkness, as a few two week trips doesn't do it justice. My job is entirely remote. Hers is still a question mark, though we're both OK with the answer either way.

All the context out of the way, I'd appreciate it if a few folks look at our moving plan and maybe validate a few things, answer a few lingering questions, and/or poke a few holes in it. Additionally, we've thought through this process as much as we can, but if there's something glaring I've left out please do chime in.

Details of the move:
Dates: June 20-June 28/29/30

Method: Pretty set on driving the Alaska Hwy as opposed to taking the ferry

Vehicles: Rent a Uhaul box truck and tow my wife's Jeep Grand Cherokee (I drive)
(Potentially) Buy a camper and tow that behind my Ram 1500 (wife drive). I plan on getting one additional full size tire for all vehicles and/or campers and getting everything inspected/tuned/replaced/lubed by a mechanic beforehand on both vehicles.

Guns: as most good Americans, I have a few (legal in USA) "prohibited" items that I plan on flying up beforehand and dropping off those off with a friend for pickup later. For the remaining items I will go through the process at the border. Based on conversation I've had with the authorities up there (one of the few clear answers I received), this shouldn't be an issue. One thing I will say for anyone in the L48 wanting to move North and/or hunt Canada, do not cut your barrels past 18.5" as it turns your rifle into a restricted or prohibited item, can't recall exactly.

Remaining questions:
Guns: Has anyone else flown with and then left a firearm? For some reason I've got this idea that the airlines will not appreciate this, but my research hasn't turned anything up.

Ammunition: I've been told by Canadian authorities I can transport 5k rounds/person, and 50k rounds/person...I'd rather not say how much ammunition I have, but if anyone has experience here it'd be appreciated.

Taxidermy: I've got the runaround between the various Canadian authorities on this and it's left me a little apprehensive. I've been told I need unspecified "documents", need to call CITES, and don't need to do anything. Between my wife and I we have a dozen or so euros of N.American game consisting of W.tail, mule deer, mountain goat, caribou, moose, pronghorn (shoulder mount), and axis deer. As far as "exotic" goes, we have one zebra rug from a trip to S. Africa. Has anyone moved to AK that can chime in here? I would rather turn around and ship them than lose these memories at the border due to some obscure bureaucratic process.

Thank you in advance. We are both very excited about this!
I’ve taken the ferry and driven to and from AK multiple times. BY FAR the best route is to drive via the Cassier highway and Icefields Parkway. Most beautiful terrain I’ve ever seen. I cannot recommend it enough.

Have a copy of the MilePost in the truck. It’s a good read and has important info such as seasonal gas stations etc.

I’ve driven guns and ammo across the border and mailed my prohibited ones. When I declared my rifles and ammo, they saw I had 9mm and 45acp anmmo and thought I was hiding them in the truck. That prompted an extensive detailed search of every single bag and compartment in the vehicle. Just be prepared for that to happen. I’d also recommend filling out the firearm declaration forms prior to arriving at the Canadian border.

I lived outside Fairbanks for several years and my wife and I loved every minute of it. When I retire, my family and I will be headed back. I’m very excited for you! Keep us posted!

PNWGATOR

WKR
Pack your sh!t and take Nick’s advice and don’t look back!

Live the adventure and don’t overthink it.

Go live your best life and take care of your family.

OP
carsonkeys
Take the ferry and bring anything you want.

My wife and I moved up this past summer from Texas. Both of us born and raised there so we had no support system to go to. It’s been the greatest decision we ever made.

We drive our vehicles to Seattle, loaded with everything we were bringing with us, and put them on a barge and picked it up in anchorage. There is “restrictions” on what you can bring but I’ve never heard of anyone ever having anything checked or gone through. Look into Alaska Marine Lines/lynden transport as I know they deliver to Fairbanks.

Our original plan was to drive the alcan but with Canadas corona and firearms restrictions neither of us wanted to deal with that crap especially bringing a lot of guns, ammo, taxidermy, etc.

The move was honestly pretty easy considering we moved 4K miles.
Thank you both for the recommendation. We may have to rethink the drive, or some combo of both potentially.

Off the top of your heads, did you both cram everything you owned into two vehicles, or just the items that may potentially give issues through Canada? Would it be feasible to put a uhaul box truck (or trailer) on the ferry?

I’ve made the trip a few times and avoid bringing anything that could cause an issue through the border. Ammo is no big deal though.

Forget the uhaul, buy a big enclosed trailer. Can sell it easy for the same price or make a profit if you want.

When I moved we bought 2 trailers and a truck, sold them all for more in AK. My bro In Law has done this every year for the last 5 and has made money every time. (He has a fishing lodge/outfit in Ak and winters in L48)

Driving through Canada with legal arms no problem, they never even checked us multiple times or my BIL ever, just took the $25. The handguns mail to your family member, with your name on the box

You seem to have a pretty good plan. While the drive is beautiful, the ferry may be the most practical to avoid any hiccups. The biggest concern I'd have is your taxidermy. If you haven't dotted your 'I's and crossed your 'T's with any potential CITES animals, an ornery border agent could give you a hard time.

OP
carsonkeys
Forget the uhaul, buy a big enclosed trailer. Can sell it easy for the same price or make a profit if you want.

When I moved we bought 2 trailers and a truck, sold them all for more in AK. My bro In Law has done this every year for the last 5 and has made money every time. (He has a fishing lodge/outfit in Ak and winters in L48)

Driving through Canada with legal arms no problem, they never even checked us multiple times or my BIL ever, just took the $25. The handguns mail to your family member, with your name on the box
Thanks for the comment. That’s exactly what we were planning on doing until we thought of the camper idea (which is still tentative, atm). We’re debt free and plan on staying that way and don’t have the cash on hand to buy a trailer and camper, move, and pay a down payment.
Put one vehicle on the barge and put guns and ammo in that. Drive everything else.
This may be exactly what we do, pending what I find out about shipping myself firearms. My biggest gun-related concern is a suppressor.

Last edited:
OP
carsonkeys
You seem to have a pretty good plan. While the drive is beautiful, the ferry may be the most practical to avoid any hiccups. The biggest concern I'd have is your taxidermy. If you haven't dotted your 'I's and crossed your 'T's with any potential CITES animals, an ornery border agent could give you a hard time.
One of my bigger question marks about this move is exactly that. I was pretty dead set on driving, but comments here are making me seriously reconsider.