Realistic "super slam" for you?

bigfish b.c

Lil-Rokslider
i have muledeer,whitetail,blacktail both columbia & sitka,mtn caribou,canada & alaska yukon moose,grizzly,black bear,mtn goat,stone sheep,California big horn sheep,rky mtn elk & wolf so 14 iam getting there ha ha.have made a few attemps at dall here but just could not find a legal ram its all draw for dalls in b.c & have never got the draw for rocky mtn bighorns in b.c very hard,my California draw was 400 to 1.i would love to get a dall,will give it a try when i get draw again,bison if i get the draw,Roosevelt elk if i can draw & mabey a trip for a antelope.at this point though i just try to enjoy whatever iam hunting its all fun & relaxing & i could never afford a superslam way out of my budget.

Last edited:

wilkes

Lil-Rokslider
Here is a slightly different perspective. In Australia I hope to take the following:
Fallow Deer
Red Deer
Sambar
Rusa
Chital
Hog Deer
Dingo
Buffalo
(All of these except the Hog deer can be hunted basically without restriction or tags.)

In New Zealand, I mainly want:
Tahr Bull
Chamois
Red Stag

North America:
Wolf
Lion
Goat
Bear (Don't mind which species)
Elk/Moose/Deer
(I have a close friend who is a guide in UT. The goat is a dream but I could make the rest of them happen without hurting myself too much.)

I don't mind if I fall short on any of these. If I end up taking 5 Sambar and miss the Rusa and Chital, I will still be completely satisfied. It is all about the experiences and journey for me with the animals taken as a bonus. The animals are just the excuse to tell a new story and see a new area of our beautiful world.

I must be the outcast here, as I don't feel the need to hunt outside of my own state. I have all the species here that I could ever want and they keep me more than busy each year to get one of them.

Craig4791

WKR
I hope to be able to complete the archery super slam someday. I think over the next 30 years it's possible for me but only time and my physical ability will tell that. I'm more excited for the travels and experiences that will come from chasing the slam than anything. I love hunting in new areas.

charvey9

WKR
I do well, but like most the super slam is unatainable from the financial perspective. My vacation, and requirement to schedule so far in advance also hamper planning on any limited draw tags. I'm able to set aside about two weeks every year for hunting trips, all the rest of my hunting takes place within a few hours of the house on my days off. My plan would be to take them all with a bow, but would not let an opportunity slip away if I get lucky enough to draw one of those difficult tags.

That being said, here is what I already have or what I can reasonably check off in the next 5-10 years with a little luck:
Whitetail
Blacktail
Mule Deer
Black Bear
Elk
Mountain Lion
Alaskan or Canadian Moose

After that it gets pretty tricky from a draw and financial standpoint, but here is what I would like to accomplish in my lifetime:
Mountain Goat and/or Sheep
Caribou (could probably move up to the top list, but just don't plan on going on any specific hunts for a bou...it would be a bonus on an Alaska hunt)
Brown or Grizzly Bear

If I can knock out 10 of those listed above, I'll die a happy hunter.

NoWiser

WKR
My goal is to hunt as much as I can, for whatever I can, with my dad while he is still able to do it. We've each gotten a moose in MN as well as a bunch of whitetails. Our goal now is for one of us to get an elk while the other is calling. Doesn't matter who is the caller or shooter. We also hope to do pronghorn in a few years when we get some points built up in Wyoming to draw a unit with plenty of public land. I'd also like the chance to do a spot and stalk mule deer hunt with him soon. He's still in great shape, but nothing is guaranteed. So, I guess my "superslam" is moose, elk, whitetail, mule deer, and pronghorn all with my dad. Whether or not we each shoot one of each of the species isn't as important as just going out and hunting for them.

I just finished reading Tom Miranda's Adventure Bowhunting book and have to say, after reading it, I'm totally turned off by the idea of some artificially created bunch of critters qualifying someone as having accomplished something "super". I'm not typically a negative guy who shoots down accomplishments of others, but the amount of self-promotion in that book and the amount of promotion of the idea that killing those animals was "super" was just too much for me to handle. Don't get me wrong- it was super! However, with page after page of he breaking his arm patting his back and trumping up the accomplishment as being something other-than-this-worldly, it really left a bad taste in my mouth.

I want to be a good whitetail and mule deer hunter, a great elk hunt, and shoot a bunch more animals with my bow. Other than that, I'm hoping to accomplish the "mediocre 10", which is an artifically created accomplishment that I will now trump up as being something truly special. On Fri night I hope to be the sole member of my family to knock down a 6-pack of Coors Light and four pieces of pizza! Accomplishing this won't make me special or better than everyone else (which is how it differs from the super slam)- it'll just make me continue to be a normal dude who loves to hunt and who took Fri night off to relax.

I finished reading the book a few weeks ago and thought it was tremendous. I thought he painted a pretty accurate picture of what it takes to get this done. I found Miranda to be insightful, informative, and pretty humble in his accomplishments, especially considering his accomplishment of completing the super slam with a bow and all the kills on camera. For anyone interested in the Slam it's a must read in my opinion. I like it better than Chuck Adams book.

Thanks Bigeasy. The list on the official site has walrus and jaguar as an "auxiliary" category, I guess just bonus?

That's the way I've always read it, basically just bonus animals according to B&C (or P&Y). They aren't recognized in any current Slam that I know of. Would be some wild hunts though!!

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I always that walrus and Jaguar could be uses to supplement another, perhaps one that's a particularly difficult draw.

There is no mix and match. Besides I doubt anyone will be killing either of those anytime soon since I pretty sure both are listed as endangered

smitho

FNG
If I can get all the species in Colorado with a bow I will be happy. I would also like to get a caribou someday as well though.

Scoot

WKR
I finished reading the book a few weeks ago and thought it was tremendous. I thought he painted a pretty accurate picture of what it takes to get this done. I found Miranda to be insightful, informative, and pretty humble in his accomplishments, especially considering his accomplishment of completing the super slam with a bow and all the kills on camera. For anyone interested in the Slam it's a must read in my opinion. I like it better than Chuck Adams book.

Huh, to each his own, I guess! I haven't read many books that I didn't like, but I didn't care for that one at all. He writes well and there's so great photography in the book. I just didn't care for the parts I already mentioned. I know a couple other people who liked it, so maybe it's just me...

Like I said before, I'm not typically a Negative Nelly for stuff like this, but I was pretty turned off by his book. I mailed it to realunlucky yesterday, so we'll see if he likes it or not.

my goal right now is the super 10.. i am going for moose/free range bison in 2015.. I will also have a bear, elk and goat tag.. Hopefully i can nock a few out on that trip

Doc06

FNG
The Super Slam is a dream...and maybe with my promotion in the near future, something that can come with time. Honestly, what I realistically hope to achieve is the Super 10 with a bow that all qualify for P&Y. So far, 3 down (Whitetail, Antelope, and Black Bear) The most costly and/or difficult to draw would be Sheep, Muskox/Bison, and Goat. Of course I have already knocked off the easiest/cheapest 3 first.

You'd be surprised how relatively affordable Musk-ox, Bison, and Goat hunts are. Generally speaking, they can be had in the neighborhood of $10-15,000 each which is cheaper than brown bear, polar bear (which can't be imported back to the states), grizzly bear, tule elk, alaska-yukon moose, or any of the sheep. The most cost effective thing to do for some of those species is to try ad get them on combination hunts but that can be difficult.

TEmbry

WKR
You'd be surprised how relatively affordable Musk-ox, Bison, and Goat hunts are. Generally speaking, they can be had in the neighborhood of $10-15,000 each which is cheaper than brown bear, polar bear (which can't be imported back to the states), grizzly bear, tule elk, alaska-yukon moose, or any of the sheep. The most cost effective thing to do for some of those species is to try ad get them on combination hunts but that can be difficult.

Sheep are the big ticket items for sure. But Brown Bears/Grizz can be had for around $10k now that baiting is allowed (if that fits within your list of okay ways to hunt, not looking to open that can of worms). A-Y Moose can be had way cheaper, my trip will be between $3-4k this fall and is a 15 day trip.

I haven't researched Tule Elk at all as that would literally be the last species on the list I would ever go after (well that and a Desert Bighorn lol).

For me chasing a slam wouldn't be about record book status, or even how fast/cheap I could do it. I just love the adventure of traveling to and hunting new areas. Sure hunting local honey holes is fun, but there is no high like the rush of strapping on a pack and heading into unfamiliar territory chasing an animal you never have before.

Sheep are the big ticket items for sure. But Brown Bears/Grizz can be had for around $10k now that baiting is allowed (if that fits within your list of okay ways to hunt, not looking to open that can of worms). A-Y Moose can be had way cheaper, my trip will be between $3-4k this fall and is a 15 day trip.

I haven't researched Tule Elk at all as that would literally be the last species on the list I would ever go after (well that and a Desert Bighorn lol).

For me chasing a slam wouldn't be about record book status, or even how fast/cheap I could do it. I just love the adventure of traveling to and hunting new areas. Sure hunting local honey holes is fun, but there is no high like the rush of strapping on a pack and heading into unfamiliar territory chasing an animal you never have before.

From my research looking at various outfitters, Brown Bear and Grizzly hunts are running closer to $20k all in. Same with outfitted A-Y moose hunts. I'm sure there are some cheaper options out there but those prices are with reputable outfitters in quality areas. Tule elk are in the $15-20k range as well. These hunts fall well short of the sheep and polar bear but are still some of the most expensive animals on the list. The prices I've quoted are looking at outfitters on places like Cabela's and Bowhunting Safari Consultants.

lintond

WKR
My goal is for the archery double slam this year....Mule deer and elk with my bow. :cool:

I have to walk before I can run.

Doc06

FNG
It's a sad day when the thought of a 10-15K dollar hunt is considered a relatively affordable option....