Potential delay in Colorado wolf introduction

UncleBone

WKR
Article out today, CPW approved the final plan yesterday. 10-15 wolves this winter, 30-50 over 3 years. First release is on state and private from about Avon west to Glenwood and south to Aspen. With I-50 from Monarch Pass to Montrose in the following year.

they chose these areas based on the abundance of public land and relative lack of livestock...as if they will stay put.

Whats more interesting is sounds like multiple private land owners will be assisting with the release by making their land available to biologists.
I don't understand how they can finalize the plan without even knowing where the wolves will come from. Cpw saying they may get wolves from "private trappers". I have a few questions there. 1. Would that even be legal? 2. Who are these trappers? I am sure that anyone trapping wolves, that would sell them to Colorado, would be given a lot of grief by fellow trappers/hunters. I know theyre trying to make money, but geeze.

sacklunch

WKR
Edit: sorry unclebone...I cut that right before you must have replied to delete some of the opinion stuff.

Article out today, CPW approved the final plan yesterday. 10-15 wolves this winter, 30-50 over 3 years. Confirmed the first release is on state and private from about Avon west to Glenwood and south to Aspen. With I-50 from Monarch Pass to Montrose in the following year.

Sounds like multiple private land owners will be assisting with the release by making their land available to biologists.

Polis actually called this "a science-based plan".

UncleBone

WKR
Article out today, CPW approved the final plan yesterday. 10-15 wolves this winter, 30-50 over 3 years. Confirmed the first release is on state and private from about Avon west to Glenwood and south to Aspen. With I-50 from Monarch Pass to Montrose in the following year.

Sounds like multiple private land owners will be assisting with the release by making their land available to biologists.

Polis actually had the nerve to call this "a science-based plan"...nevermind the gag-order put on CPW biologists
Yah, "science based" with no environmental studies done...

sacklunch

WKR
Yah, "science based" with no environmental studies done...
Ahdditionally, they specifically avoided federal lands for the release in order to avoid the required National Environmental Policy Act analysis prior to any federal land management agency authorizing releases on federal land, citing inadequate CPW staffing to complete the analysis.

UncleBone

WKR
Ahdditionally, they specifically avoided federal lands for the release in order to avoid the required National Environmental Policy Act analysis prior to any federal land management agency authorizing releases on federal land, citing inadequate CPW staffing to complete the analysis.
Maybe they should put some of that 200 million dollars of their budget to use.

COelk89

FNG
CPW cares more about hiker and mountain bike access for their urban constituency that absolutely destroys nature, while claiming to be "pro-environment" by erecting wind farms, solar arrays, and transmission lines. Meanwhile those of us in more rural areas trying to live by using the resources provided by our environment (mineral, wildlife, range) are told to f*** off and f*** your way of life. Hypocritical pieces of dirt.

Hnthrdr

WKR
So interesting that they got some nut around Gunny to be okay with the release, I mean a handful of years ago, probably one of the most conservative, cattle/ outfitter minded communities around… if I was a wolf down there I’d watch out still a lot of cowboys and lots and lots of hunters that wack yotes all winter

Bluefish

WKR
Wait until they are in front range backyards and green spaces hunting purse dogs. They are just like coyotes, but bigger and more aggressive.

Last edited:

LuvsFixedBlades

Lil-Rokslider
CPW cares more about hiker and mountain bike access for their urban constituency that absolutely destroys nature, while claiming to be "pro-environment" by erecting wind farms, solar arrays, and transmission lines. Meanwhile those of us in more rural areas trying to live by using the resources provided by our environment (mineral, wildlife, range) are told to f*** off and f*** your way of life. Hypocritical pieces of dirt.
While you may very well be right, CPW advised against the reintroduction of wolves. That was their official position.

Once it went to vote, that's when the wolves were approved. Only 13 of 64 counties in Colorado voted for them, but the sheer number of city folk on the front range voted it in. CPW got straight up steamrolled by politics.