New research for wolf release areas in Colorado

Hnthrdr

WKR
This Ditmer guy seems like a real genius… wolves do well when there isn’t much conflict with people… wow groundbreaking. Also I love how he states if they stay in large wilderness areas, they are less likely to move through public lands, last I checked wilderness were public lands. Oh wait till it gets out where they are… gonna be loads of folks trying to catch a glimpse or a howl or a photo I’m sure it won’t move them around at all

This Ditmer guy seems like a real genius… wolves do well when there isn’t much conflict with people… wow groundbreaking. Also I love how he states if they stay in large wilderness areas, they are less likely to move through public lands, last I checked wilderness were public lands. Oh wait till it gets out where they are… gonna be loads of folks trying to catch a glimpse or a howl or a photo I’m sure it won’t move them around at all
"It's really kind of unprecedented in conservation" :LOL:

Best of luck to you guys.

Other than the vote, it isn't really unprecedented. You can look at Idaho, Wyoming and Montana and see exactly how this is going to play out.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Another thing, they are planning to not tell anyone where the release is, for “safety” for whose safety? ummm this was a publicly funded (tax payer funded) event I think everyone should know. What if a human being gets in some sketchy situation since they release was “secret” seems like negligence on the states part, like dumping pedo in Denver and saying, no one needs to know where they are for “safety”.

Every time I hear how the folks on the east slope voted this BS in, but the release would happen west of the divide it makes my blood boil, yay democracy! Would be akin to West Slopers being able to vote grizzly bears into Denver county, how is this remotely legal?

Wrench

WKR
Other than the vote, it isn't really unprecedented. You can look at Idaho, Wyoming and Montana and see exactly how this is going to play out.
Eastern Washington guy here. We have wolves and our moose population went from EPIC to dismal. I went 2.5 years without seeing a deer near my home in a sparsely populated county.....but we got wolves and cats.

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
Not only is it a secret where the wolves will be released, a CORA request can’t even be submitted as to where they have been once they are here.

Hnthrdr

WKR
Not only is it a secret where the wolves will be released, a CORA request can’t even be submitted as to where they have been once they are here.
Yep like the governor says the “will of the people” wanted it so bad no one can know anything about it out of fear that something might happen to the precious K-9’s

Wrench

WKR
You better enjoy the next 2 years of elk hunting....because after that, it will begin to change. You'll be hunting close to town and the animals will be less vocal.

Hnthrdr

WKR
You better enjoy the next 2 years of elk hunting....because after that, it will begin to change. You'll be hunting close to town and the animals will be less vocal.
I think it will take a few more years than two but I’m in agreement with you… I catch flak from the AK, MT, ID wolf guys but Co is truly uncharted territory the population density, recreational pace of the state, and 0 management will be like watching a train wreck. Folks get up in arms when I want to protect more opportunities for residents, but the sad truth is opportunity will be lost in the years ahead and it will make it that much harder to draw and fill tags. CPW stated they will manage far below what they are currently to ensure wolves have food to eat (ie moose,elk, deer) Just praying I can draw my moose tag be for the devastate our super healthy Shiras herd

They stated in the video and have said numerous times the release location will be withheld from the public for “safety” we don’t know whose safety though?

Ya I don't think that passes the muster. It would have to be specifically precluded by statute. Sure they aren't obligated to publicly announce it, but they couldn't deny a valid CORA request.

Hnthrdr

WKR

Hnthrdr

WKR
Ya I don't think that passes the muster. It would have to be specifically precluded by statute. Sure they aren't obligated to publicly announce it, but they couldn't deny a valid CORA request.
Oh I am 100% with you. If I had the time and legal degree seems like a valid suit. I have neither. Plus polis runs this state like Stalin, and his man lover is also chief of the wolf lovers (even though some try to portray him as a “libertarian” haha)

OP
cnelk

cnelk

WKR
What makes you say that?

This makes me say that....

"● Adopt an approach to monitoring, information- and data-sharing that leads with trust.

○ Sharing data should be discretionary on an as-needed basis – for example, when working with producers to minimize and manage conflict, or with research partners – rather than a want-to-know basis.

Legal implications, including open records laws, should be considered prior to the decision to share data. The statutory and regulatory basis for not sharing data should be made clear to the public.

Information-sharing can be general in nature; it does not necessarily need to involve sharing of specific telemetry data or other more sensitive information.

○ Sharing information with the ranching community provides transparency and factual information, can build early trust, and can empower communities to understand the data.

○ This must be balanced against protecting wolves from illegal take; however, there have been positive experiences in other states in sharing monitoring data and locations.

○ Trust is reciprocal; there is risk in sharing information but agencies and ranchers must be able to trust each other.

○ Monitoring activities can also include the public and private property owners."

Some fine reading here - https://cpw.state.co.us/Documents/Wolves/2023-Final-CO-Wolf-Plan.pdf