Potential delay in Colorado wolf introduction

Have not looked into this issue deeply but at a common sense level what are the benefits of reintroducing the wolves to this area? Is it just the idea that the wolves were present before? Also someone mentioned that there are hunters that support putting the wolves back and I am struggling to see how it is good for a) hunters b) ranchers c) deer, elk, rabbit, squirrel population etc. d) conservation efforts in general ie there is and will be no money coming in from wolves being put on public land

OP
fngTony

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
As a Western Canadian, where wolves have always been prevalent, I really don’t get the hand-wringing and doom-sayers about wolves. We have huge herds of elk, plenty of deer and moose, in areas where wolves have been since the beginning of time. No bad effects whatsoever. Is the concern because it will be a new predator that the prey species will have no experience with, so they will be easy pickings which leads to reduced numbers? Livestock predation? I don’t get it. Plenty of cougars and sometimes grizzlies where these wolves are planned to be reintroduced, these should already show what predators do in the area.

Not trying to say who is right or wrong, just wondering why it is such a big issue compared to my experiences in a place where wolves are and always have been.

It's also surprising to me. Can't say I'm thoroughly read up on the actual research, but it seems that bringing ecosystems closer to how they existed for hundreds of thousands of years before the last 300 or so generally pans out well for the overall balance of wildlife we all appreciate so much.
The Colorado ecosystem (I’m including man made development) has changed drastically in the last 50 years so I don’t understand how reintroducing something from a 100+ years ago is a valid reason to do so. We don’t have the vast wildernesses to accommodate wolves without interfering with ranching, recreation, etc. Just doesn’t seem fair to wolves or the people. Plus we won’t be able to manage them. Our own wildlife management agency had a minor voice with no authority on this (out of state money convincing uneducated voters made this happen).

UncleBone

WKR
The Colorado ecosystem (I’m including man made development) has changed drastically in the last 50 years so I don’t understand how reintroducing something from a 100+ years ago is a valid reason to do so. We don’t have the vast wildernesses to accommodate wolves without interfering with ranching, recreation, etc. Just doesn’t seem fair to wolves or the people. Plus we won’t be able to manage them. Our own wildlife management agency had a minor voice with no authority on this (out of state money convincing uneducated voters made this happen).
Same people pumping money into DAs who let violent criminals out of jail, paid for wolves in Colorado. Pretty wild.

gbflyer

WKR

This. I’m in Alaska and we have several local packs. We also don’t have livestock and a population density. They are pretty cool here to have around for the most part. I don’t think it’s a good idea for CO.

UncleBone

WKR
I am having trouble understanding what the bill does without the study. I can read the bill over and over again, but I am not a lawyer and can't figure out if that takes away federal oversight, or makes it mandatory.

NickyD

Lil-Rokslider
I am having trouble understanding what the bill does without the study. I can read the bill over and over again, but I am not a lawyer and can't figure out if that takes away federal oversight, or makes it mandatory.
My understanding is that it would allow for lethal take of wolves, primarily for ranchers. Right now they’re listed as an endangered species so it is illegal to kill them

Okhotnik

WKR
As a Western Canadian, where wolves have always been prevalent, I really don’t get the hand-wringing and doom-sayers about wolves. We have huge herds of elk, plenty of deer and moose, in areas where wolves have been since the beginning of time. No bad effects whatsoever. Is the concern because it will be a new predator that the prey species will have no experience with, so they will be easy pickings which leads to reduced numbers? Livestock predation? I don’t get it. Plenty of cougars and sometimes grizzlies where these wolves are planned to be reintroduced, these should already show what predators do in the area.

Not trying to say who is right or wrong, just wondering why it is such a big issue compared to my experiences in a place where wolves are and always have been.
I have two friends in BC who guide moose and elk hunts for over 30 years . They complained that the wolves up there really damaged the moose populations and as a result the Govt yanked their guide licenses due to the drop in moose populations. Wolves pretty much wiped out the mountain caribou herds in S BC, N Idaho.

As you know the shut down grizzly hunting in BC even though their populations are growing. What was the justification behind that move. Looking at how your govt arrested church leaders during Covid and locked protestors bank accounts down says it all.

Do you mange to get out in the woods very often?

Last edited: