Politics in high school sports

sorry ment enrollment.

Bad coaching = mandating 1 sport. Means someone put their job/record in front of kids development.

with that said how many kids from your area go D1 athletics?

I played D1, my friend group is dominated by D1 and pro. All our kids play multiple sports in large 5A/6A schools, Some even play select in conjunction with HS. Not any issues, but we also don’t care if our kids play sports in college, in a lot of ways its burden(20 hour rule is a joke) Education comes first. luckily we have coaches worried about education, resiliency, and social development more then sports.

Last edited:
High school sports (aside from basketball) have largely went to the gutter due to "Club" sports. Many clubs don't even want the kids to play HS sports as its a step down, and chance of injury is high.

OP
PredatorSlayer
sorry ment enrollment.

Bad coaching = mandating 1 sport. Means someone put their job/record in front of kids development.

with that said how many kids from your area go D1 athletics?

I played D1, my friend group is dominated by D1 and pro. All our kids play multiple sports in large 5A/6A schools, Some even play select in conjunction with HS. Not any issues, but we also don’t care if our kids play sports in college, in a lot of ways its burden(20 hour rule is a joke) Education comes first. luckily we have coaches worried about education, resiliency, and social development more then sports.
5A - I think enrollment was around 2000 when I went there…

Beendare

WKR
We went out and got pizza tonight, just him and I. We sat and talked for 2.5 hours about hunting and school, didn’t bring up baseball once. I have never seen a kid so excited to talk about the AP classes he wants to take his junior and senior year and how hard medical school and dental school and what pre meds he needs to take to sit for the MCAT or DAT. He was excited about the spring bear hunt we have planned and how he is hoping to save enough money to finally buy himself a new rifle. He will be fine. He has a lot going for him. Depending on how this season ends up playing out, I can see him focusing on Golf and School his Junior and Senior year.
Good dad skills my friend…

MattB

WKR
Google some stories about Ohio State football. They want multi sport players out of high school. Not hard to google guys playing the Saturday prime time game. Lots of basketball and track.
Those high school coaches are selfish and feeding you a line.
My nephew’s track is influenced more by the coaches he plays for than coaches at Ohio State. I don’t agree with it, but you play the hand you are dealt.

Beendare

WKR
I went back and read this thread…lots of truth when it comes to how we view our kids…and ourselves as better than reality. Its true.

But ignoring that some of these hack coaches that have no business coaching is also true. a couple local examples;

My buddy played a decade in the NFL, all pro linebacker. He knows more about football in his little pinky than most of these HS coaches. He was helping a local HS football team and stopped. The story went like this; He said the only reason was helping out was because the head coach promised him its all about the kids.

One game their star receiver missed 2 passes and the coach stormed down the sidelines and started screaming at this kid…for awhile. Now, you have to know, my buddy is massive…Strong as hell with hands the size of baseball mitts. He strolled down to the coach and put his hand on the irate coaches shoulder, smiled and started squeezing. The coach turns in pain and looks at my buddy…he keeps squeezing and probably could have broken his collar bone if he wanted to.
When the coach finally turned away from the kid, my buddy reminded him, “Its all about the kids right?” And let go when he nodded.

I was coaching a little league team with the local HS head football coach. My NFL buddy had expressed interest in just helping out with the team linebackers- free no compensation.
I mentioned it to the Coach and he said sure, have him come by football practice and talk to me.
My buddy goes by and all of the coaches are there…he tells the head coach he would be happy to help.
” No, we don’t need you” he said
A friggin All Pro NFL Linebacker teaching technique for free…..

Thats the kind of self centered dickhead coaches we have around here…..…

OP most important thing for teens is reps for development and to play. he'll probably get that more with jv right now. he's a sophomore there's plenty of time for varsity. Tell him to keep putting in the work, if he's good enough he'll go varsity, cream rises to the top. I'd encourage golf though, the thought of going to 3 years of baseball games sounds awful ; )

How do you guys deal with it? My son is a sophomore and plays baseball. He was one of the best freshman last year and has only gotten better. He wasn’t invited to the inner squad varsity scrimmage while several of the other sophomores and some freshman were. I think the thing that was really disheartening is one of the freshman that got asked to scrimmage plays the same position and is on the head coaches travel ball team that he coaches. Kids not great, we have seen him play since middle school.

Son is a good kid, always has a great attitude, is a little quiet, but works hard. Has been getting up at 4:30am to lift. Super athletic, but not a specimen by any means. He is 5’11 weight 150. Benches 155 and squats 325. I think he will grow still, I am 6’5”. This is only the third day of practice. So could be much ado about nothing.

He also plays golf, its a fall sport where we live so he can do both. Also a super smart kid, straight A’s, school tested his IQ and it is pretty high and they have him in a program to challenge him academically.

I am dying inside, but just told him to keep working and grinding and it will work itself out. Any advice? I am not sure I can do this for another few years.
You shouldn't be surprised. There have always been injustice in high school from way back, it's not a new thing. I hope you can find a better way to deal with the matter, buddy.

lamarclark09

Lil-Rokslider
Your son does sound really enthusiastic about stuff and it will help him out one way or another. This thing is so old and common now that people have started normalizing the politics I guess.
Good wishes to your son tho.

Granular

FNG
Kids sports IMO are a waste of time and resources for most families. Basically a diversion away from studying for the kid and work/career for the parents.

If you factor in all the club ball traveling, etc. it is a negative sum game even if your kid happens to get a scholarship.

My advice would be to focus on academics and other leadership opportunities outside of the school and work towards a Presidential scholarship at a private university. Much reduced tuition and no practices/games to attend so more able to handle a difficult major.

If you want your kid involved in sports, focus on an individual one like tennis. Tennis works especially well for girls in my experience.

summs

Lil-Rokslider
I think this is a good thread, overall positive sentiment about a tough topic. Politics is there, but I never saw it benefit good athletes. It was always the coach cut a kid who loved it and worked hard, just not as talented, for a trouble maker trying to keep them busy and hands clean for the next sport. Saw it lots of football prospects make teams and get kicked off for not falling in line.

I've never seen a kid regret golf, and it seems to give the most scholarships. It's good your kid loves sports, I did too, but I gave up sports for hunting and fishing. College is a whole new commitment and even d3 is no joke. You really have to be dedicated. High school sports was about friends and doing something, the sport was secondary.

You only get high school once, I cherish a few moments playing, but many more from the people I was with.

ps. don't talk to the coach - every parent that did that, all the players knew and no body was happy it happened. Has certainly ostracized a few kids to the point they just quite because they didn't play and no one wanted to be friends with them.

ETtikka

WKR
Most HS athletes don’t really blossom till 16-17 , even later in baseball for sure

Work hard, control what you can, don’t worry about getting picked or not at this point

If scholarship is the goal, golf is the path of least resistance

GSPHUNTER

WKR
We went out and got pizza tonight, just him and I. We sat and talked for 2.5 hours about hunting and school, didn’t bring up baseball once. I have never seen a kid so excited to talk about the AP classes he wants to take his junior and senior year and how hard medical school and dental school and what pre meds he needs to take to sit for the MCAT or DAT. He was excited about the spring bear hunt we have planned and how he is hoping to save enough money to finally buy himself a new rifle. He will be fine. He has a lot going for him. Depending on how this season ends up playing out, I can see him focusing on Golf and School his Junior and Senior year.
The fact that your boy never mention the situation means it likely bothers you more than it does him, I fully understand that. He seems to have his priorities in order, like my grand daughter he is more concerned with what really matters. My grand daughter is in pre med at UOP working towards becoming an orthodontist.

OP
PredatorSlayer
I think this is a good thread, overall positive sentiment about a tough topic. Politics is there, but I never saw it benefit good athletes. It was always the coach cut a kid who loved it and worked hard, just not as talented, for a trouble maker trying to keep them busy and hands clean for the next sport. Saw it lots of football prospects make teams and get kicked off for not falling in line.

I've never seen a kid regret golf, and it seems to give the most scholarships. It's good your kid loves sports, I did too, but I gave up sports for hunting and fishing. College is a whole new commitment and even d3 is no joke. You really have to be dedicated. High school sports was about friends and doing something, the sport was secondary.

You only get high school once, I cherish a few moments playing, but many more from the people I was with.

ps. don't talk to the coach - every parent that did that, all the players knew and no body was happy it happened. Has certainly ostracized a few kids to the point they just quite because they didn't play and no one wanted to be friends with them.
Looking back I wish I would have played golf instead of baseball. I am 6’5” and left handed, so there was a lot of pressure for me to play. My great grandpa got me into golf when I was 12. I am 41 and play golf every week, haven’t played competitive baseball or softball in a really long time. When I was a financial advisor, I closed more deals on the golf course than anywhere else. Its a lifelong sport.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
Looking back I wish I would have played golf instead of baseball. I am 6’5” and left handed, so there was a lot of pressure for me to play. My great grandpa got me into golf when I was 12. I am 41 and play golf every week, haven’t played competitive baseball or softball in a really long time. When I was a financial advisor, I closed more deals on the golf course than anywhere else. Its a lifelong sport.
You and me are the same height, except the 6 and 5 are reversed.

CHSD

WKR
A lot of people are pushing for individual sports and they certainly have value, but being on a team sport is a completely different animal. Working through tough practices, riding the busses, mourning tough losses, and celebrating big win is a huge part of team sports, and valuable in my opinion.

bigv

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't read every comment on the 5 pgs so forgive me if I repeat something but....I am a HS coach for over 20yrs. The one thing I can say is 98% of parents are biased. You can't help it or even recognize it but you are. Me included. Everyone thinks their child is being slighted if not getting the time. Reality is that you are only there for games. You are not there for meetings, film time, practices. Coaches analyze kids throughout all of this not just games. Parents forget that. Sometimes your kids just aren't as good as you think they are.
I personally don't want to talk to a parent. Don't really care that much about what they think. However, I love talking to the kids and encourage them to come and discuss things with me about their concerns. Maybe I'm wrong or haven't seen something. I have no problem admitting I may have been wrong or missed something. I have made lots of mistakes as a coach. It's hard. We are pressured to win. If we don't it could mean our job. The old saying...."If the team is good-its cuz of good players. If team is bad-its cuz bad coach." Coaches can never win no matter what we do.

bobinmi

WKR
How do you guys deal with it? My son is a sophomore and plays baseball. He was one of the best freshman last year and has only gotten better. He wasn’t invited to the inner squad varsity scrimmage while several of the other sophomores and some freshman were. I think the thing that was really disheartening is one of the freshman that got asked to scrimmage plays the same position and is on the head coaches travel ball team that he coaches. Kids not great, we have seen him play since middle school.

Son is a good kid, always has a great attitude, is a little quiet, but works hard. Has been getting up at 4:30am to lift. Super athletic, but not a specimen by any means. He is 5’11 weight 150. Benches 155 and squats 325. I think he will grow still, I am 6’5”. This is only the third day of practice. So could be much ado about nothing.

He also plays golf, its a fall sport where we live so he can do both. Also a super smart kid, straight A’s, school tested his IQ and it is pretty high and they have him in a program to challenge him academically.

I am dying inside, but just told him to keep working and grinding and it will work itself out. Any advice? I am not sure I can do this for another few years.
Let it go, He'll soon realize how little school sports matter to anyone except maybe those that have pro potential. I suffered through some of this as a youth myself, and my dad went down a road that absolutely ruined my high school sports experience. I do not remember it fondly at all and have made a point to be a spectator only for my kids athletic endeavors.

WCB

WKR
Kids sports IMO are a waste of time and resources for most families. Basically a diversion away from studying for the kid and work/career for the parents.

If you factor in all the club ball traveling, etc. it is a negative sum game even if your kid happens to get a scholarship.

My advice would be to focus on academics and other leadership opportunities outside of the school and work towards a Presidential scholarship at a private university. Much reduced tuition and no practices/games to attend so more able to handle a difficult major.

If you want your kid involved in sports, focus on an individual one like tennis. Tennis works especially well for girls in my experience.
Same thing can be said about 99% of things discussed here "waste of time and resources...zero sum game". The amount of parents that actual put their kids into activities of any kind and think "we are going to be rich when little Timmy goes pro" is probably reflected as a percent 0%. It isn't about that.

Also, there are Scouts, FFA, Theatre, etc. Different kids like different things. I agree if you are forcing your kid to stick with high end competitive athletics but they aren't into it find something else. If they are honestly into it what's the big deal? I can tell you the lessons I learned from playing team sports eventually at high levels I wouldn't replace to go get extra studying time and research private colleges. I can tell you 100% I know more guys that wish they would have kept playing sports than regretted staying in them.

This is not directly solely at you but based on the OPs question due to his kid having competition at practice/tryout I can't believe how many people are basically suggesting since he might have competition just quit and focus on an individual sport.