Politics in high school sports

MattB

WKR
He also plays golf, its a fall sport where we live so he can do both. Also a super smart kid, straight A’s, school tested his IQ and it is pretty high and they have him in a program to challenge him academically.
My nephew will be playing college football next year and lives in an incredibly competitive area HS sports-wise (wealthy town in SoCal). My brother told me that kids who play more than one sport are often looked down on by some coaches because they believe it reflects a lack of dedication to the primary sport.

cjdewese

WKR
My nephew will be playing college football next year and lives in an incredibly competitive area HS sports-wise (wealthy town in SoCal). My brother told me that kids who play more than one sport are often looked down on by some coaches because they believe it reflects a lack of dedication to the primary sport.
Man that's a crappy way to look at it if that's the case. Poor kids.

There are tons of top level athletes and pro's that were either good or great in multiple sports in HS. If anything it teaches a more rounded ability for mechanics and understanding your body.

WCB

WKR
It is funny how it has changed because coaches when I was in H.S. (2000-2004) encouraged it as it helps prevent burn out and helped with general athleticism. In fact the one year I didn't do track and missed the Golf cut by 1 or 2 strokes I got a call from my coach asking why I wasn't on any of the Spring sport rosters. Unfortunately at that time Lacrosse and Trap Shooting or Bass fishing wasn't a school sport then. I would have cleaned house then....who golfs anyways.

Off the top of my head there were MAYBE 4 guys on our Hockey team (20) that weren't at least 2 sport lettering athletes and I know of 5 that were 3 sport letter winners.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My brother told me that kids who play more than one sport are often looked down on by some coaches because they believe it reflects a lack of dedication to the primary sport.
That can be a problem because high school sports generally all overlap each other to some extent. Start with football and it runs well past the start of basketball, especially if your team goes to state to compete. Then basketball runs past the start of baseball and/or track. Ya, I saw some of that from coaches a few decades ago. But by the time you become a junior, the coaches all know what they're getting so they're willing to put up with it for those athletes with talent that can transition quickly between sports.

MattB

WKR
Man that's a crappy way to look at it if that's the case. Poor kids.

There are tons of top level athletes and pro's that were either good or great in multiple sports in HS. If anything it teaches a more rounded ability for mechanics and understanding your body.
I shake my head when I look at what HS sports have become. My nephew is a QB and they basically have had to hire a 3rd party coach to get reps/direction above and beyond what he does with his team. For the past 3 years my nephew has been travelling around the US for football camps so that the right people have either viewed him or have access to tape on him. Crazy stuff.

GSPHUNTER

WKR
I shake my head when I look at what HS sports have become. My nephew is a QB and they basically have had to hire a 3rd party coach to get reps/direction above and beyond what he does with his team. For the past 3 years my nephew has been travelling around the US for football camps so that the right people have either viewed him or have access to tape on him. Crazy stuff.
Same thing my Gand daughter did for softball. NJ, Il. So. Carolina, Florida, Az. to name a few. Lots of collage coaches show up at those show cases to look for a few potential players. Lots of pressure on the kids to perform. I saw many kids being yelled at by their parents if they didn't perform to the parent expectation. Assholes.

OP
PredatorSlayer
It is funny how it has changed because coaches when I was in H.S. (2000-2004) encouraged it as it helps prevent burn out and helped with general athleticism. In fact the one year I didn't do track and missed the Golf cut by 1 or 2 strokes I got a call from my coach asking why I wasn't on any of the Spring sport rosters. Unfortunately at that time Lacrosse and Trap Shooting or Bass fishing wasn't a school sport then. I would have cleaned house then....who golfs anyways.

Off the top of my head there were MAYBE 4 guys on our Hockey team (20) that weren't at least 2 sport lettering athletes and I know of 5 that were 3 sport letter winners.
I played football, basketball and baseball at a large high school. All the basketball starters except one played football, and then most of that same group played baseball too. There were only a handful of kids who just played basketball and the same with baseball. Crazy how things have changed. I also never played on a travel ball team. Never even heard of it growing up in Idaho.

A lot of the football guys also wrestled or ran track.

WCB

WKR
Same thing my Gand daughter did for softball. NJ, Il. So. Carolina, Florida, Az. to name a few. Lots of collage coaches show up at those show cases to look for a few potential players. Lots of pressure on the kids to perform. I saw many kids being yelled at by their parents if they didn't perform to the parent expectation. Assholes.
It is funny thinking back...the kids that I played with (hockey) that went on passed H.S. and played some up to the Pro level had parents that were probably the calmest and most laid back especially during games. Not to say my dad or some other buddies dad didn't tear into us a bit when we weren't performing...but it was warranted IMO. But, it was also measured and not for common mistakes or the odd off game/play. The people's who's parents were the worst were the kids that you would literally think "your kid is not good stop caring so much"

Bailer

Lil-Rokslider
I can only speak for the program I coached in. We didn’t look down on anyone playing multiple sports. That said, a football guy that missed the summer and fall camps had to know that we didn’t play without someone at “his” position. When he came back in the Spring he had to take the job from someone that had 30 games to prove themselves. Sometimes it worked out for them sometimes it didn’t. When you hear about elite professional athletes playing 3 sports, no shit they’re elite athletes.

I played football, basketball and baseball at a large high school. All the basketball starters except one played football, and then most of that same group played baseball too. There were only a handful of kids who just played basketball and the same with baseball. Crazy how things have changed. I also never played on a travel ball team. Never even heard of it growing up in Idaho.

A lot of the football guys also wrestled or ran track.
just out of curiosity whats large high school in Idaho?

nam1975

Lil-Rokslider
Google some stories about Ohio State football. They want multi sport players out of high school. Not hard to google guys playing the Saturday prime time game. Lots of basketball and track.
Those high school coaches are selfish and feeding you a line.

Lowg08

WKR
Hey at least it’s high school. Could be like our youth league. All the coaches are the benchwarmers from when they are in school and living life through their child and even if they suck start them.

Beendare

WKR
How do you guys deal with it?
i feel your pain. I went through a similar situation with my son.

It was heartbreaking for awhile… but then my son figured it out he wasn’t going to make a living with his athletic body but with his brains.

He played sports for fun and got more competitive with his education…it worked, he is now very successful.
When you have some hack PE teacher bragging on his freshman football win record ……thinking he will be the head coach at a big university some day ….the kids are the last thing he cares about.
The hard part as a parent is we know that coach needs a good ass whooping..makes us feel good, but thats not a good life lesson for your son either.

OP
PredatorSlayer
i feel your pain. I went through a similar situation with my son.

It was heartbreaking for awhile… but then my son figured it out he wasn’t going to make a living with his athletic body but with his brains.

He played sports for fun and got more competitive with his education…it worked, he is now very successful.
When you have some hack PE teacher bragging on his freshman football win record ……thinking he will be the head coach at a big university some day ….the kids are the last thing he cares about.
The hard part as a parent is we know that coach needs a good ass whooping..makes us feel good, but thats not a good life lesson for your son either.
We went out and got pizza tonight, just him and I. We sat and talked for 2.5 hours about hunting and school, didn’t bring up baseball once. I have never seen a kid so excited to talk about the AP classes he wants to take his junior and senior year and how hard medical school and dental school and what pre meds he needs to take to sit for the MCAT or DAT. He was excited about the spring bear hunt we have planned and how he is hoping to save enough money to finally buy himself a new rifle. He will be fine. He has a lot going for him. Depending on how this season ends up playing out, I can see him focusing on Golf and School his Junior and Senior year.