Packing around kids

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
That's perfect!!! I wanna figure out how to attach that to my icon or buy a Kifaru frame ;-)

If I get a chance soon I will mess with the grab it on my brothers icon. I would imagine you could make it work. But if you have to attach to the bag rather than the frame at at of the connection points I would worry about that fabric ripping :)

That's perfect!!! I wanna figure out how to attach that to my icon or buy a Kifaru frame ;-)

dotman

WKR
I have a Kelty kid hauler, cut the belt and harness off and secured it to my bikini frame. Sorry no pics but with enough straps it is easy to do. I had to use a pad on the top bar though because she fell asleep once and bonked her nose.

That is my 4 year old in the grab it in that first post. I packed my younger son in it fishing (he was 6-8 months at the time). It worked equally well for him I just faced him the other direction so his face wasn't smashed against the pack. Here is a pic of him in it checking out a little brook trout his mom caught... not a great pic of the pack however, but maybe you can get the idea. This is the bikini/nomad with a grab it on front.

IMG_1039.jpg

Last edited:
OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
That is my 4 year old in the grab it in that first post. I packed my younger son in it fishing (he was 6-8 months at the time). It worked equally well for him I just faced him the other direction so his face wasn't smashed against the pack. Here is a pic of him in it checking out a little brook trout his mom caught... not a great pic of the pack however, but maybe you can get the idea. This is the bikini/nomad with a grab it on front.

View attachment 22902

Is that a grab it 1 or 2?

HighHunter1232

Lil-Rokslider

I packed my two year old around the block like this today. We have a hike planned tomorrow; I'm excited to try out some new gear.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR

I packed my two year old around the block like this today. We have a hike planned tomorrow; I'm excited to try out some new gear.
That's a good way to add storage to that pack, I've got one of those but it doesn't sit like I'd like it to. I think I've got the grab it thing figured out but I'll post pics

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
View attachment 22983Crappy pic but, heres, my 2 1/2 year old in my Exo 3500, reverse lid works great for this, just put the straps over his shoulders. I've tried other packs but this one works best and he loves it, did about a mile with him in it and no complaints, the horizontal straps help to.

Attachments

• Hunter in backpack.jpg
    Hunter in backpack.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 53

BeWitty

Lil-Rokslider
Kwabunga- is he sitting on a meat shelf or just pack/straps? Use any padding for his legs? I've been thinking about using just the beaver tail for my kid but if I could just use the pack that'd be even better if it's comply for them.

Thanks

Kawabunga

Lil-Rokslider
He's in the bag and actually only the top strap is buckled. Next time im gonna try the bottom strap under his butt although he never complained about getting tired or being uncomfortable. When he was younger he would fall asleep right away and hang out of the bag so curious to see how this setup works, the reverse lid supports his back pretty good. just gotta be careful how you run the straps, im always worried about choking or something if he falls asleep without me knowing.

Kwabunga- is he sitting on a meat shelf or just pack/straps? Use any padding for his legs? I've been thinking about using just the beaver tail for my kid but if I could just use the pack that'd be even better if it's comply for them.

Thanks

MattB

WKR
We bought a Sherpani Rumba at REI and it was a really nice pack. When my daughter was ~4, I packed her and most of our stuff (~65#) and it was surprisingly comfortable. You guys would have better feedback than I, but I cannot imagine a grab-it being that comfortable for kids over longer distances.

I have the REI pack that is made for kids. It works pretty well when they're younger. I've put a lot of miles in hauling my oldest around on the shelf of a pack frame. He can stand or sit and get on and off by himself if I kneel down. He's even fallen asleep on it sitting down facing backwards.

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
Duplex and grab it work well. I would imagine the cargo panel would work equally well. I need to figure out how to haul 2 kids, a 2 year old and a 2 month old (she's the tricky one and to be fair she'll probably be 4 months by then).

MattB

WKR
Bjorn in the front and kid carrier in the back. If memory serves, a lot of the kid carriers require the child to be able to hold their head up for safe/comfortable use, which is typically around 6 months.

Flyrod

Lil-Rokslider
Osprey Poco….awesome for the kid! I got the rain cover for it too. I recommend that for sure… works well.
The harness is ok.. could use some lumbar. I actually fold a hand towel and wedge it in behind in the lumbar area for support…. makes it better.
Definitely not a MR, EXO, or Kifaru…
would love to see the picks of the member here who rigged his to a NICE frame.