Packing around kids

kyle1112

WKR
So being a father of four(all under 7), I've been trying to figure out how to use my kuiu icon 5000 as all kid carrier. most on the market that are intended for this use that I've tried are not amazing in my opinion. Have any of you dad's out there used you hunting packs as kid packs? Do you have pictures?

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
Well stay tuned Tim, this could either get real good or completely flop and I'll have to experiment with my toughest kid lol

Outwest

WKR
No experience as a father in any regard, but I did pack my niece around the house in my Exo when I had it because she wanted to "be the elk."
I didn't have the load shelf so It probably would have been a more comfortable seat. From looking at my SG and probably the icon as well, A kid could probably be fairly comfortable on the load shelf being that it wasn't too hot outside.

I used a similar setup to haul the kids up the hill behind the house in the snow for some sledding action, but no pictures. They had a blast and I got a good leg workout.

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've seen an Evolution used for this before, but we do not recommend it or officially support it.

I've got an osprey poco which is really comfortable for the kid but not for the pack wearer. So i straped it to my NICE frame via the Metcalf and it works flawlessly. Not really helping your situation but if you can find a used child carrier on craigslist or something, then i'm sure you could strap it to your icon. I'll try to post some pics later.

jwatts

WKR
I packed my 5 year old son around when getting ready for my trip to CO last year. I stood him on the meat shelf facing forward and strapped him in using the day pack. I had a picture of it but can't find it.

jwatts

WKR
Here I am packing my son in 2012 getting ready for a trip. He was much smaller and younger in this pic.

OP
kyle1112

kyle1112

WKR
I see that now lol.

I'm Thinkin I can undo the top of my icon and maybe leave the bottom attached sit them right on the load shelf between the pack and frame placing a blanket in front for a little padding and cinch down the compression straps

pacific-23

Lil-Rokslider
Packed both kids around the house with my stone glacier this week. Big kid (almost 5, 50#) in main bag, little kid, (2.5 yo, 30#) sitting in load sling. Both felt great to me but I don't think they would have lasted long. I plan on strapping the dueter kid carrier on the Krux frame tomorrow.

This is photo of my Daughter loaded up into my Exo while Christmas tree hunting. She got a free ride only being 2yo.

I've used a cargo chair on my bikini frame to carry the kids around. It makes a great flat seat and they can ride forwards or backwards (leaning against the frame).
I'll see if I still have some pics somewhere.

My wife and I have used the higher end Kelty packs which are designed for hauling kids and they're fairly comfortable. On longer treks I would lash a small pack on the back of the kid hauler for snacks, drinks, camera and such stuff. Tried hauling 1 of the kids in my crew cab and that was short lived for sure!