Kids rifle manifesto

eric1115

WKR
I've chimed in on so many different "what rifle for my age XX kid?" threads that I thought I'd try to consolidate my thoughts here.

My oldest son is 14 now, started shooting centerfire rifles at 9. My younger kids started shooting centerfire rifles at between 5-7 yrs old. 5 kids shooting now, and a bunch of their friends that I have been involved or around as they learn to shoot. probably 20-ish kids? Here's what I've learned in the last 5-6 years.

Recoil matters, a lot. "Handles it pretty well" is way way different from "ideal for building skills as a rifleman." My oldest loves to shoot, wasn't scared of 7mm-08 recoil, but it pushed him around a lot more than I realized at the time. He definitely started to anticipate the shot breaking, even when we played the "dad loads the rifle and puts dummies in there" game pretty regularly.

The common "6.5CM/.260/7mm-08 is a great kids' gun" view is a bad one in my opinion. A 120-140 grain bullet going 2700+ FPS over 42-44 grains of powder is going to have recoil energy in the mid teens at least. 15 ft-lb for a 100lb kid is proportionally like an 8 lb .300WM for a 200lb man (~30 ft-lb recoil). A .243 is around 10-12 ft-lb, and a .223 is 5 or 6 ft-lb. Please realize, your kid gets pushed twice as hard as you do by the rifle. A .243 rocks your kid about like a .30-06 hits you, from a physics lens.

The effect that that recoil has on them is greater also (typically). Think about the snap of a rubber band. It does not scale with body weight, from a physics perspective, it affects you and your kid equally. But a snap that is hard enough to just begin to disrupt your focus and concentration is going to be much more disruptive to the focus and concentration of a child.

A brake is not the answer. Permanent hearing damage will occur, and flinching will not be cured. Several of my friends now have kids with braked 6.5CM's or larger. They anticipate the blast and don't shoot better because of the brake. Double hearing protection is a must at the range and should be done in the field but no one does. In the field, adding ear pro to the shot process is not something I am interested in doing. If you're in a box blind, a pair of electronic muffs are great and while not truly hearing safe are probably fine for a shot or two. The problems I've found are making sure everyone present has them in/on before the shot and the difficulty in quiet communication if not everyone has electronics. The process of teaching a kid to focus and stay composed is enough of a challenge without adding those factors. Carrying electronic muffs sucks in the backcountry/mountains, but I realize that's less of an issue for a lot of folks.

Suppressors are a game changer. Reducing recoil and report/blast has a huge positive impact on letting kids learn to focus on the fundamentals and not tense up in anticipation of the explosion that's about to happen 6 inches from their face. Do it if you can.

With nearly perfect correlation, I see two trends.
1) people who recommend a .308 size cartridge or larger (to include 6.5CM, 7mm-08, etc), often with reduced recoil ammo, have not taught very many kids to shoot. It "worked for them" or their kid "handled it fine". That was me with my oldest. We started him with a 7mm-08 for "his first deer rifle" on the conventional wisdom that it was a great kids' cartridge that he could grow into.

2) people who have taught lots of kids to shoot always recommend the very bottom end of the recoil spectrum. .223, 6mm ARC, MAYBE 6CM/.243 with a suppressor (especially if we're talking about teens rather than 10 yr olds). I very seldom see someone who's been really actively engaged in helping more than a handful of kids become good riflemen recommend 6.5CM or larger for a kids' rifle (and the only ones that do are ones who have never tried .223 or small 6mm with good bullets).

The T3x compact .223 is THE young kid's rifle. Second place is the Howa Mini in 6mm ARC (especially if suppressed). Both are cheap to feed and easy to load for, recoil is very low, and they will kill anything that walks in North America out to 400+ yards with the correct bullet selection (see .223 thread and 6mm thread). I've seen consistently better kills with the 77 TMK and 108 ELDM than I ever did with 120 NBT's out of my son's 7mm-08.

To recap, I 100% believe thad no preteen or early teen child is going to have an optimal learning setup with a rifle that runs more than 150 grains combined bullet and powder weight, and if we are approaching that it should 100% be suppressed. 100 to 125 grains combined weight is far preferable, and the difference is not debatable to anyone I know who has tried both ways.

The difference between a kid watching an impact on steel in the scope and telling Dad, "hit!" before hearing the impact, vs asking Dad whether he hit or not is such a big difference, it really is almost two different activities.

Edit to add: Please feel free to add your experiences of teaching kids to shoot. My hope would be that we could get multiple people who have taught lots of kids and seen trends and patterns, vs what I had when I was starting out (not enough different things tried to draw conclusions about what works better or worse). I think a thread that draws a lot of these experiences together could be a great starting point for folks looking to teach their kids.

Last edited:
I agree with you except for the brand naming of the best and second best.

My kids have a 308, 7-08, and 6.5 but…we are shooting suppressed.

I’d like to get them a 223 and that will eventually happen. Right now they are just holding these centerfire rifles. We are still doing 22LR til this summer.

And only one child will be shooting the centerfire. She is ready we think. But if I see fear or a thing concerning we will pause and reevaluate caliber choice.

Hoping the suppressor is the game changer.

TaperPin

WKR
Well said. It also points to the mistake many adults make when teaching kids to shoot - give any kid the option of what gun to shoot and that tells you what they are most comfortable with. Pushing any caliber on any kid during practice doesn‘t help them. I feel fortunate to have had a range of guns to shoot as a kid - kids understand it’s like riding a bike, to road race it takes the ability to ride a higher performance 10 speed, to bomb down hills off road it takes at least a stout mountain bike - graduating from a bmx is usually done because a kid wants to.

I can remember being 11 talking about hunting rifles, defending the 270 and a buddy talking about the 264 Win Mag of his dads that he shoots - even as a 6th grader, I had to admit that 264 was pretty fierce. Lol

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I agree with you except for the brand naming of the best and second best.

My kids have a 308, 7-08, and 6.5 but…we are shooting suppressed.

I’d like to get them a 223 and that will eventually happen. Right now they are just holding these centerfire rifles. We are still doing 22LR til this summer.

And only one child will be shooting the centerfire. She is ready we think. But if I see fear or a thing concerning we will pause and reevaluate caliber choice.

Hoping the suppressor is the game changer.
I would say with a high degree of confidence, the suppressor is a game changer, but with those cartridges it changes the game from "way too much" to "a moderate amount too much".

A can will not bring 14-17 ft lb of recoil down to the 8-ish that you really want. I would (and did, and in retrospect wish I had done sooner) sell one of those three rifles to fund the purchase of a .223 bolt gun.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm an average sized man, who though because I have shot a 458 Lott and enjoyed it, 30-06 recoil was no big deal. Then I dropped to a 308, and instantly enjoyed shooting more. So, I got a 223 bolt gun and this (along with putting over 700 rounds through it) drastically changed my shooting ability. Now I'm over 1000 rounds and working on positional shooting, perhaps another 1000 to feeling proficient and moving to long range work.

Anyway, if dropping from a 308 to a 223 made such a difference for me at 175 pounds, I can only imagine the difference for a kid. Once my suppressor arrives, I'm thinking a suppressed 223 will be the first centerfire my daughter shoots, and probably what takes her first big game animal.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I'm an average sized man, who though because I have shot a 458 Lott and enjoyed it, 30-06 recoil was no big deal. Then I dropped to a 308, and instantly enjoyed shooting more. So, I got a 223 bolt gun and this (along with putting over 700 rounds through it) drastically changed my shooting ability. Now I'm over 1000 rounds and working on positional shooting, perhaps another 1000 to feeling proficient and moving to long range work.

Anyway, if dropping from a 308 to a 223 made such a difference for me at 175 pounds, I can only imagine the difference for a kid. Once my suppressor arrives, I'm thinking a suppressed 223 will be the first centerfire my daughter shoots, and probably what takes her first big game animal.
This is so true. I grew up on 12 gauge slugs, enjoy a good stout .45-70, don't consider myself recoil "shy" or "sensitive". Thousands of rounds of .308, 7mmRM, and other "medium" recoil cartridges. I'm pretty much exclusively 6mm and .223 calibers now.

Recoil reduction plus substantially increased round count tends to equal huge gains in proficiency.

The decision to completely eliminate brakes and go to suppressors cemented that shift. My braked 7mmRM was such a hammer at long range, but switching from a brake to a can put it juuust over the edge of being able to consistently spot my own shots. I may yet regret getting rid of that one. Perhaps there's a .25PRC in my future to fill that hole back in. Who knows?

czgunner

FNG
I've chimed in on so many different "what rifle for my age XX kid?" threads that I thought I'd try to consolidate my thoughts here.

My oldest son is 14 now, started shooting centerfire rifles at 9. My younger kids started shooting centerfire rifles at between 5-7 yrs old. 5 kids shooting now, and a bunch of their friends that I have been involved or around as they learn to shoot. probably 20-ish kids? Here's what I've learned in the last 5-6 years.

Recoil matters, a lot. "Handles it pretty well" is way way different from "ideal for building skills as a rifleman." My oldest loves to shoot, wasn't scared of 7mm-08 recoil, but it pushed him around a lot more than I realized at the time. He definitely started to anticipate the shot breaking, even when we played the "dad loads the rifle and puts dummies in there" game pretty regularly.

The common "6.5CM/.260/7mm-08 is a great kids' gun" view is a bad one in my opinion. A 120-140 grain bullet going 2700+ FPS over 42-44 grains of powder is going to have recoil energy in the mid teens at least. 15 ft-lb for a 100lb kid is proportionally like an 8 lb .300WM for a 200lb man (~30 ft-lb recoil). A .243 is around 10-12 ft-lb, and a .223 is 5 or 6 ft-lb. Please realize, your kid gets pushed twice as hard as you do by the rifle. A .243 rocks your kid about like a .30-06 hits you, from a physics lens.

The effect that that recoil has on them is greater also (typically). Think about the snap of a rubber band. It does not scale with body weight, from a physics perspective, it affects you and your kid equally. But a snap that is hard enough to just begin to disrupt your focus and concentration is going to be much more disruptive to the focus and concentration of a child.

A brake is not the answer. Permanent hearing damage will occur, and flinching will not be cured. Several of my friends now have kids with braked 6.5CM's or larger. They anticipate the blast and don't shoot better because of the brake. Double hearing protection is a must at the range and should be done in the field but no one does. In the field, adding ear pro to the shot process is not something I am interested in doing. If you're in a box blind, a pair of electronic muffs are great and while not truly hearing safe are probably fine for a shot or two. The problems I've found are making sure everyone present has them in/on before the shot and the difficulty in quiet communication if not everyone has electronics. The process of teaching a kid to focus and stay composed is enough of a challenge without adding those factors. Carrying electronic muffs sucks in the backcountry/mountains, but I realize that's less of an issue for a lot of folks.

Suppressors are a game changer. Reducing recoil and report/blast has a huge positive impact on letting kids learn to focus on the fundamentals and not tense up in anticipation of the explosion that's about to happen 6 inches from their face. Do it if you can.

With nearly perfect correlation, I see two trends.
1) people who recommend a .308 size cartridge or larger (to include 6.5CM, 7mm-08, etc), often with reduced recoil ammo, have not taught very many kids to shoot. It "worked for them" or their kid "handled it fine". That was me with my oldest. We started him with a 7mm-08 for "his first deer rifle" on the conventional wisdom that it was a great kids' cartridge that he could grow into.

2) people who have taught lots of kids to shoot always recommend the very bottom end of the recoil spectrum. .223, 6mm ARC, MAYBE 6CM/.243 with a suppressor (especially if we're talking about teens rather than 10 yr olds). I very seldom see someone who's been really actively engaged in helping more than a handful of kids become good riflemen recommend 6.5CM or larger for a kids' rifle (and the only ones that do are ones who have never tried .223 or small 6mm with good bullets).

The T3x compact .223 is THE young kid's rifle. Second place is the Howa Mini in 6mm ARC (especially if suppressed). Both are cheap to feed and easy to load for, recoil is very low, and they will kill anything that walks in North America out to 400+ yards with the correct bullet selection (see .223 thread and 6mm thread). I've seen consistently better kills with the 77 TMK and 108 ELDM than I ever did with 120 NBT's out of my son's 7mm-08.

To recap, I 100% believe thad no preteen or early teen child is going to have an optimal learning setup with a rifle that runs more than 150 grains combined bullet and powder weight, and if we are approaching that it should 100% be suppressed. 100 to 125 grains combined weight is far preferable, and the difference is not debatable to anyone I know who has tried both ways.

The difference between a kid watching an impact on steel in the scope and telling Dad, "hit!" before hearing the impact, vs asking Dad whether he hit or not is such a big difference, it really is almost two different activities.
Great thread. Excellent points.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Really appreciate this post! I have a 4 year old who is already itching to shoot a ‘real’ gun. I filed the paperwork for my first suppressor just for reasons in this post. I don’t even have a gun to put it in yet but with the wait times I went ahead and got the suppressor piece in motion. This post helps me solidify getting a .223 over a .243. Now I have to figure out if he’s left or right eye dominant.

I would say with a high degree of confidence, the suppressor is a game changer, but with those cartridges it changes the game from "way too much" to "a moderate amount too much".

A can will not bring 14-17 ft lb of recoil down to the 8-ish that you really want. I would (and did, and in retrospect wish I had done sooner) sell one of those three rifles to fund the purchase of a .223 bolt gun.
I’ve considered it but we hunt moose. And I’m not letting my kid pound a moose with 223. Keep what we have and they will use when ready.

But for sure looking for a 223 currently.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
kids? heck this is solid advice for teaching adults to shoot. just because you read the 30-06 is the do-everything american caliber or the .270 is even better with less recoil doesn't mean you shouldnt just start and stop with a .243.
Very true. But to be completely honest, I care way less about a grown man making choices that make his life harder vs a dad saddling his kid with a bunch of bad habits to unlearn and straighten out (assuming they even want to stick with it and fix the mess).

dmm08300

Lil-Rokslider
I wish VA would allow 223 for deer. Since they don't I bought a mini 6mm arc for my daughter and working on getting a suppressor now.

Sent from my SM-S928U using Tapatalk

The thing with suppressors for kids is it's kind of a legal risk if they are teens using your suppressors and not under your direct supervision which is unfortunate. Not sure how much people think/worry of this but it's something that has crossed my mind.

Great thread! After working the public sight in days the last few years at my local range I can say with confidence that most men struggle with anticipating recoil above 223 level in lightweight rifles too.. Sure many can get over it but they must focus on it to do so. Hell of a lot easier to just not think about it because the kick in the shoulder will be light and the bang will be quiet. Took a buddy to the range yesterday who's sole rifle is a bare muzzle t3x lite 308. He mentioned his shoulder was getting pretty tender from shooting his 150 grain factory loads and I know he was fighting off recoil/blast anticipation.

Last edited:
OP
E

eric1115

WKR
The thing with suppressors for kids is it's kind of a legal risk if they are teens using your suppressors and not under your direct supervision which is unfortunate. Not sure how much people think/worry of this but it's something that has crossed my mind.

Great thread! After working the public sight in days the last few years at my local range I can say with confidence that most men struggle with anticipating recoil above 223 level in lightweight rifles too.. Sure many can get over it but they must focus on it to do so. Hell of a lot easier to just not think about it because the kick in the shoulder will be light and the bang will be quiet. Took a buddy to the range yesterday who's sole rifle is a bare muzzle t3x lite 308. He mentioned his shoulder was getting pretty tender from shooting his 150 grain factory loads and I know he was fighting off recoil/blast anticipation.
That is an excellent point to consider. Thanks!

That is an excellent point to consider. Thanks!

I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble if they are being reasonable but seems like all it would take is one c-unt in a position of authority who doesn't like you or guns to make your life pretty tough.

OP
E

eric1115

WKR
I've never heard of anyone getting in trouble if they are being reasonable but seems like all it would take is one c-unt in a position of authority who doesn't like you or guns to make your life pretty tough.
I have thought about that as well, is quite a few years until I can add my 14YO to the trust, it's part of why we stuck with .223 for him, to minimize the downside of bare muzzle for him going forward.

ElPollo

WKR
I agree with the statement hat suppressors are game changers for kids and shooting. At least in the west, it’s rare that you have a kid off hunting by themselves. And in eastern stand hunting kids are often accompanied by an adult. So I think the concern over ownership and responsibility may not be that big of an issue for most. By the time a kid is old enough to be ready to hunt on their own, a suppressor may not be as important.