Peak Refuel Serving Size

Iltasyuko

FNG
For someone with a good size appetite, does the 2 serving size bag really equate to 2 servings?

I see a Chicken Alfredo package with 870 calories, which to me would mean a 2 serving bag is really a one serving / one meal for a person.

Tahoe1305

WKR
In my opinion…one bag of Alfredo is a good amount of food. I’m not a big dude though. I eat a whole one for dinner and feel more full than normal and I don’t like feeling full.

If you eat a lot and/ or need the calories due to a high output day, I’d consider that meal a single serving for dinner (I don’t eat them for lunch but would be way too much for me for lunch).

OP
Iltasyuko

Iltasyuko

FNG
In my opinion…one bag of Alfredo is a good amount of food. I’m not a big dude though. I eat a whole one for dinner and feel more full than normal and I don’t like feeling full.

If you eat a lot and/ or need the calories due to a high output day, I’d consider that meal a single serving for dinner (I don’t eat them for lunch but would be way too much for me for lunch).
Thanks - that is pretty much what I was thinking.

TheTone

WKR
My experience with peak; definitely do a taste test at home. I had a couple different ones last year; one was okay, the other I would have only finished if I was near death from starvation.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
They are dense calories so for a dinner after a strenuous day it’s fairly easy to eat it all and sleep with a full belly. But it all depends if you factored for that in your daily intake and are hungry or if you ate heavily all day. If they were lower calorie density like some other brands it would be hard to consume that caloric content without feeling extremely full imho.

We usually consume 1 bag per person. If you're really curious then I would recommend buying a sampler kit and trying multiple different meals to see how they fill you up but also test how they agree with your stomach before you go out into the woods.

I've never had leftovers from a peak meal. But, the breakfast skillet is enormous, takes way too long to eat in the morning so I don't buy that one anymore.

PredatoronthePrairie

Lil-Rokslider
I consider one barely enough. Usually scraping the bottom of the bag then slamming whatever leftover food I had from my days rations. Weigh 180 for reference, not that it really matters.

Have changed the time when I eat though. Used to eat after the days hunt. Now I try and squeeze it in about 2 hrs before sundown.

oake

Lil-Rokslider
I’d echo the advice to try a few at home prior than dealing with disappointment, while hungry on the side of a mountain

Another mention I’ll make is a couple of there recipes have beans and at elevation take a little longer to “simmer” - meaning more time than the label suggests

I would agree, one meal equals one serving.

FWIW, I am a big fan of peak. I probably use their meals for 75% of my back country dinners with the balance being whatever else seems interesting at REI.